Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM

21 posts, read 52,588 times

Advertisements

My son is in 7th grade (Pre Algebra 2). In previous years he was an A student, and he really liked math. Now he gets F's and D's because he fails every single math test. The problem is timing. He completes 50% of the test correctly, but he has no time to finish the rest. He does his homework really well; he barely makes any mistakes, but he takes his time; he does not like to rush. Also, he scored high (Algebra level) on the MAP test (this test is not timed). He understands math problems and he knows how to solve them. He just can't solve them quickly. I tried practice with him more so that he can speed up. It did not work. He gets too nervous, and he starts to make silly mistakes. I asked his teacher if she could give him an extra time. She refused. I don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can teacher refuse to give additional time to complete the test? Can I legally demand an additional time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 02:14 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS81 View Post
My son is in 7th grade (Pre Algebra 2). In previous years he was an A student, and he really liked math. Now he gets F's and D's because he fails every single math test. The problem is timing. He completes 50% of the test correctly, but he has no time to finish the rest. He does his homework really well; he barely makes any mistakes, but he takes his time; he does not like to rush. Also, he scored high (Algebra level) on the MAP test (this test is not timed). He understands math problems and he knows how to solve them. He just can't solve them quickly. I tried practice with him more so that he can speed up. It did not work. He gets too nervous, and he starts to make silly mistakes. I asked his teacher if she could give him an extra time. She refused. I don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can teacher refuse to give additional time to complete the test? Can I legally demand an additional time?
Not legally. I'm surprised the teacher wouldn't allow him to come after school to work on it.

Maybe talk to his counselor and he/she may be able to intervene on your behalf without it looking like you are going over the teacher's head.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:20 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Get him tested for a disability. If he's a slow test taker, there might be something else going on. Addressing the anxiety issues might help. Remember, you want to get him up to speed: not force the teacher and the rest of the class to slow down for him.

The teacher doesn't have to give him extra time and won't because it's incredibly unfair to the other students. She is only legally obligated to give your son extra time if he has a documented disability.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 PM

Reply to Seattlenextyear

Why it is unfair to the other students? If they need extra time, they should be able to get it, too. Not everyone is fast. Some people need more time. I believe that the main point is to understand the subject and solve the problems correctly. When I was in middle school and high school the teachers always gave students additional time to complete the tests. My teachers repeated constantly, "Don't rush, read twice the question, and double check your answers."

Old 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Not legally. I'm surprised the teacher wouldn't allow him to come after school to work on it.
What do you mean, "Not legally"?

Do you know something the rest of us don't know that demonstrates that the child has a disability that entitles him to a reasonable accommodation?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Standardized tests are timed as is the SAT, etc.
If he used to do ok but now he's not maybe get his eyes checked ?
Is he able to finish tests in his other classes ?
Is he the only one in the class that doesn't finish ?

Lots of questions to ask before putting this all on the teacher.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Standardized tests are timed as is the SAT, etc.
If he used to do ok but now he's not maybe get his eyes checked ?
Is he able to finish tests in his other classes ?
Is he the only one in the class that doesn't finish ?

Lots of questions to ask before putting this all on the teacher.
Yes, SAT test is timed, but before we take this test we practice for years which make us solve those problems faster. My son has only 3 weeks to study a new chapter before the test. It is difficult to solve new problems quickly. Plus he is required to show his work. If he does not, the points are taken off.

His eyes were checked.
He finishes tests in other classes on time.
Eight people did not finish today's test.

Last edited by DS81; 11-18-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 04:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Yes, SAT test is timed, but before we take this test we practice for years which make us solve those problems faster. My son has only 3 weeks to study a new chapter before the test. It is difficult to solve new problems quickly. Plus he is required to show his work. If he does not, the points are taken off.

His eyes were checked.
He finishes tests in other classes on time.
Eight people did not finish today's test.
She's giving more test than time allows IMHO.
Is she the only 7th grade Math teacher ?
If not ask to have your son switched.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:30 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,037 times
Quote:
Why it is unfair to the other students? If they need extra time, they should be able to get it, too. Not everyone is fast. Some people need more time. I believe that the main point is to understand the subject and solve the problems correctly. When I was in middle school and high school the teachers always gave students additional time to complete the tests. My teachers repeated constantly, "Don't rush, read twice the question, and double check your answers."
If your son is incapable of finishing tests in the allotted time, perhaps you should look into whether he may have some sort of issue going on. The counseling department may be able to help guide you in the right direction whether he needs other interventions.

Not everyone is fast, but being really slow at doing tasks isn't necessarily okay either... unless there is some documented disability or other issue going on that explains why a student may be performing at capacity and they're just always going to be very, VERY slow. Plus, who is going to pay the teacher their hourly rate to stay after school with your child so they can finish the test? You?

Another possibility is that you have him in too hard of a math class for his current ability level. Not every 8th grader is ready to take Algebra in middle school. Not every 7th grader is ready for Pre-Algebra. Some just need to take 7th grade level math, 8th grade level math in 8th grade, and Algebra as a freshman in high school. If the material is so challenging for your son that he has to work extremely slowly to complete it, you may have him in a level that is too hard. Unfortunately, the trend nowadays is for no parent to want their child to be "regular" level. At our school we sometimes have kids making some horrible grade like a 32 in Algebra! That simply makes no sense. If you aren't ready for the course material at the pace it's taught, there is no reason you need to be in an advanced class. There is no shame in being on grade level.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:36 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Should I get four hours to write an essay question while everyone else gets two? That is an advantage for me, and an unfair one. Math is no different. Knowing material and being able to do the work in a timely manner are linked. This is true in school and the professional workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching