Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times

Advertisements

Does it just depend on the school or is it just an option/elective? It was always my understanding that Latin and other foreign languages were taught beginning in elem school, but my sister said the schools near her don't teach those subjects. I don't know if there is a state/national standard mandating those courses or if it is left up to the school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 07:53 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
I graduated in the late 80s from high school and we never had Latin. I don't think most schools offer Latin.

Some schools offer foreign languages. My district starts in first grade, but not in all schools.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
It's left up to the districts.

Foreign language in elementary is NOT mandatory here, and ours is the top district in the state.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
I taught in 3 different districts in PA & NJ. Foreign language was never "taught" until middle school in any of them, and then it was an introduction of the common 3. One district had a large Italian population, so they offered Italian at the high school level. Two of the other districts offered Latin at the high school level. The accelerated student would be able to complete their first year of foreign language (8th grade) at the middle school as an elective, and if continued in that language, would be in a Level IV class as a senior.

My experience is that rarely is the language "taught" at the elementary level unless it is a part of a cultures unit, perhaps a few words are learned as students study different cultures & countries.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:09 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Very basic French & Spanish are a before/after-school option for elementary-schoolers here and require an enrollment fee. Spanish & French are middle school electives. Latin, French, Spanish, German, & Chinese (Mandarin) are offered in high school.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:28 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Foreign language doesn't start until middle school (7th grade) in my district.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:36 PM

Just to follow up on my post above, we teach foreign language starting in first grade, but this is not typical of most school districts.

Our students receive science and math instruction in the target language. They aren't taught the language the way we usually think of middle school and high school students being taught, but rather they are immersed in the language for half of their day. Not all of our students receive foreign language through immersion, but you can find out more here:

http://www.fcps.edu/is/worldlanguages/elementary.shtml

Old 10-14-2014, 04:21 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
I don't think a lot of schools offer Latin these days, with the big exceptions usually being some wealthier public schools (that already have a full slate of modern languages) and Catholic schools.

However in general I think that sadly foreign language instruction is largely becoming marginalized in public schools as annual standardized testing in math and language arts is dictating more and more of the school be spent on these subjects.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:28 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
why on earth would elementary school kids need foreign language

elementary is a place where kids learn to read write and get a grasp on the basics

foreign language classes is generally an elective and is not required until high school

Old 10-14-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
why on earth would elementary school kids need foreign language

elementary is a place where kids learn to read write and get a grasp on the basics

foreign language classes is generally an elective and is not required until high school
Why not? We live in a global economy. Many children all over the world speak more than one language. It can also be much easier to learn another language at a younger age, so why wait? They still learn "the basics". They still learn how to read and write. Our students have language arts and social studies in English.

What do you consider extra? Should they not have art? Music? Strings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching