Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:30 PM

121 posts, read 176,766 times

Advertisements

Yes, I wrote that correctly. I am strongly considering switching from a regular public school teacher, to an assistant public school teacher (BA level assistant). I am considering doing this due to the workload/stress/demands/long hours as a regular public school teacher. Has anyone done this? Pros? Cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
I haven't, but as I get older I'd consider it as a step-down between teaching and retirement. I guess if you could afford to live on the lower salary it makes sense, just be careful not to get sucked into doing more because of your experience.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:20 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Our retirement is based on our last three years' salaries, so I wouldn't want to do that as I approached it.

Edit: I just looked it up and our retirement is based on our highest average compensation for 36 consecutive months, not necessarily the last three years. So, that might make a difference.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Be very careful that you don't get sucked into doing the same level of work you've always done for reduced pay at a lower position.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:03 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Be very careful that you don't get sucked into doing the same level of work you've always done for reduced pay at a lower position.
First thing that came to my mind when reading the OP's opening statement also.

You better know your administration well before making this change.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I have seen it happen. "Well, so and so's got the credentials...and it prevents us from hiring somebody else at a higher salary."

Old 01-10-2015, 01:16 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I haven't, but as I get older I'd consider it as a step-down between teaching and retirement. I guess if you could afford to live on the lower salary it makes sense, just be careful not to get sucked into doing more because of your experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Great points.

Over the years, in my district, several special education teachers decided to become paraprofessionals after being out for maternity leaves. However, my district may not be typical as they normally required paraprofessionals to have a teaching license and we had/have the highest paid paras in the area (we start at $14, with full benefits with the most experienced paras making $20 an hour).

Old 01-13-2015, 02:42 PM

121 posts, read 176,766 times
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback.

I am no where near retirement. I taught High School English for 5 years and easily worked over 60 hours per week. I have been a stay-at-home for the last 5 years and I live in another state from where I last taught. I miss teaching but I need more work/life balance, especially now that I have young children, so I was thinking about being a higher-level TA. In other words, there are different levels of teaching assistants. I am interested in the ones that require a BA degree so I would get to have more tutoring/teaching time with students as well as get paid a little more per hour. And unlike regular teachers, you are SUPPOSED to clock out at the end of your shift and your day is done! No take-home work. I am looking to hear from anyone that has done this and their experience.

Germaine2626 that is decent pay for a teaching assistant, I'll take it! :-)

Old 01-13-2015, 02:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Are your assistants hourly or salaried? Ours are on a salary scale.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyGal View Post
Yes, I wrote that correctly. I am strongly considering switching from a regular public school teacher, to an assistant public school teacher (BA level assistant). I am considering doing this due to the workload/stress/demands/long hours as a regular public school teacher. Has anyone done this? Pros? Cons?
I remember one woman in my school doing that for the same reasons. She must have been happy with her decision, because the principal asked her every year if she wanted her own class, and she always said no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching