U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM

978 posts, read 1,865,189 times

Advertisements

I am very interested in finding a teaching job elsewhere. I love my school and the students I work with, but really dislike the town. I'm about ready to buy a house, but there's no way I'd want to buy a house here. Other teachers feel the same way, which is why many commute 30+ minutes to the nearest city with things to do.

My contract is renewed yearly, so it's getting somewhat close to that time.

Teachers who have moved elsewhere to teach, how do you handle your current position? I feel like I need to tell them right away that I may be leaving (as there is no guarantee I'll find a job where I want) but at the same time I don't want them to not renew my contract (I don't think they would do this) in the event that I cannot find another job for next year.

Additionally, who would you recommend using as a reference? Principal, colleagues, assistant principals? I'm thinking one of each would be nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 01:56 PM

18,947 posts, read 13,888,103 times
If you are not tenured I would not tell them prior to being offered a contract for the next year, in the event you don't find a job. That may also mean not applying for jobs until after that point either. Most states have two contracts dates: the date where teachers must be notified whether or not they are being offered a contract for the next year and the date teachers are locked into that contract. The date you need to notify them that you aren't coming back is the second one. I have known teachers not renewed simply because the principal found out they wanted to leave.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:15 PM

19,454 posts, read 22,074,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If you are not tenured I would not tell them prior to being offered a contract for the next year, in the event you don't find a job. That may also mean not applying for jobs until after that point either. Most states have two contracts dates: the date where teachers must be notified whether or not they are being offered a contract for the next year and the date teachers are locked into that contract. The date you need to notify them that you aren't coming back is the second one. I have known teachers not renewed simply because the principal found out they wanted to leave.
I have also known teachers not renewed because the school found out that they were looking for another job.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:15 PM

978 posts, read 1,865,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have also known teachers not renewed because the school found out that they were looking for another job.
Which is exactly why I won't tell anyone, even colleagues.

Basically, I should wait until after the contract offer date to apply for jobs?

Like I said originally, I don't think my district would not offer a contract if they knew I was searching, but you never know...

Old 01-19-2015, 03:13 AM

371 posts, read 1,104,752 times
It totally depends on your admin and your area. In my area, you must use your current principal as a reference. Many places won't even allow you to finish the application unless you put in your principal's information. In addition to that, you need at least two other references along with reference letters, which have to be attached to your application. Your application is incomplete without them. Many places will call references prior to interviews so that they don't have to waste time with interviewing candidates who have poor references. How are you going to get those without telling people you're looking?

If this isn't the case in your area and you don't need reference letters to apply, you can ask in the interview for the new school not to call your old school for a reference unless you're the top candidate and they've definitely decided to hire you as long as references pan out- that way your principal wouldn't find out unless you were getting the new job anyway. If you have a union, this is a great thing to ask them about because they will know how it works in your area. If you don't, ask a trusted veteran teacher who has been at the school for awhile. They should be able to tell you how your admin would react.

I was in a very similar situation in my first teaching job. I loved the school but hated the area and wanted to move. I had a meeting with my Principal and explained my situation. I went on and on about how much I loved the school and how I was so thankful for the opportunities that they gave me, but I wanted to live in a different area. My principal was totally understanding and told me I'd have a job at that school until I found a new one. Luckily I found one in the spring before school even let out, so it wasn't a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching