U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 09:20 PM

903 posts, read 3,355,901 times

Advertisements

Hi. I just started a new position teaching an integrated preschool class. In past experience the IEP has reflected the children be an an integrated class. In going through the children's IEPs in this class I see they mostly are 9:1:1 placements. I have 12 in this class (9 with IEP and 3 without) and the intention is to get the class up to 20 kids (standard integrated) There is myself (teacher) 2 assistant teachers and 2 of the children have 1:1 all day. There are a few kids who have emotional and physical outbursts throughout the day. Most of the children are not typical to the integrated classrooms I have been in before-much lower functioning. Again not typical integrated. Has anyone else seen this? It doesn't seem to be following the IEP mandate and the school has no intention of bringing in a general education teacher. I am in New York City and will look into further on Tuesday. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this/experienced this-doesnt seem right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 12:24 PM

19,417 posts, read 21,719,456 times
Your state may be different but in the integrated classes that I have had contact with, if the children with special needs are with typically developing children that makes it an integrated class. It does not matter if there is a regular education teacher co-teaching with a special education teacher or not.

The only difference would be if it is a kindergarten or higher level class, then the children would need to be taught by someone with a license in regular education kindergarten (or whatever grade level). That is usually not needed at a preschool level.

A class size of 20 preschool students with most having IEPs does seem quite large, no matter how many assistant teachers or aides that are hired.

I am not familiar with many integrated classes with 3 year old children with special needs in my area but this is how it works with four year olds in the public schools.

All 4-K classes have both a 4-K regular education teacher and an Early Childhood Special Education teacher responsible for the class. Plus two to three (or more) paraprofessionals. Usually there are about 14 to 18 normally developing children and four to six children with special needs.

But sometimes the numbers can get higher, especially near the end of the year, unless the district has a maximum number of children per class.

Check with other teachers in other schools to get an idea of what is typical in your area.

You can also call your Department of Public Instruction to see if they have specific guidelines for your type of class (frankly, I would do that anonymously, just in case your school is breaking the rules and they think that you are a whistle blower).
Good luck.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-19-2015 at 12:41 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching