Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
However, the problem with this is that my maturity is still lagging to the teenage level due to my disorder and they start to think of me as the big kid in school.
I'm starting to not believe your posts. How is your maturity lagging?

Any behavior that you can identify is behavior you can modify. You have to choose to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 PM

395 posts, read 374,454 times
I have trouble handling disputes between peers and can get very obsessed with revenge sometimes. I've even gotten coworkers in the past in trouble with the top of the company or fired for the purpose of revenge.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
If you are conscious of your behavior, you can consciously elect to change it. Autism is not an excuse, particularly when you have this level of self-awareness. Your behavior is as much a choice as anyone else's.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 PM

Autism isn't an excuse, but the behaviors are often impulsive, which means the awareness isn't there until after the fact, and if you think just because someone with autism is aware of their behavior that their disorder is unrelated to it, then you don't know anyone with autism really well.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Autism isn't an excuse, but the behaviors are often impulsive, which means the awareness isn't there until after the fact, and if you think just because someone with autism is aware of their behavior that their disorder is unrelated to it, then you don't know anyone with autism really well.
False.

At any rate, if you really do feel that you are truly categorically unable to learn strategies to address your impulsivity issues, you will find that nearly all employment will become very difficult for you, not just employment working with children. But an inability to control impulsivity when working with children is going to be considered a large liability virtually everywhere you might work.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
False.

At any rate, if you really do feel that you are truly categorically unable to learn strategies to address your impulsivity issues, you will find that nearly all employment will become very difficult for you, not just employment working with children. But an inability to control impulsivity when working with children is going to be considered a large liability virtually everywhere you might work.
The impulse control doesn't take form in violence and threats the way it did when I was a child and very young adult anymore. Now the impulse control has more become making off-handed remarks or making a sarcastic comment that offends someone. This has been what I've been working on though, and I'm working on eliminating sarcasm in a professional environment given that it has often resulted in some behavior issues because it has set a bad tone for the classroom.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
The impulse control doesn't take form in violence and threats the way it did when I was a child and very young adult anymore. Now the impulse control has more become making off-handed remarks or making a sarcastic comment that offends someone. This has been what I've been working on though, and I'm working on eliminating sarcasm in a professional environment given that it has often resulted in some behavior issues because it has set a bad tone for the classroom.
Lack of impulse control does not have to involve violence or threats to be a huge liability in a work situation. Lack of impluse control is the problem, regardless of the form it takes. Running around impulsively hugging people, for instance, would be a problem in a work situation - especially one involving children.

You will soon no longer be the student, where great effort is made to find a way for you to be successful. Teachers are granted very few accommodations, they are supposed to be the ones providing them to their students. Contrary to public opinion, not everyone can be a teacher, and wanting to be one is not always enough, you have to be capable of doing a job that is often under heavy public scrutiny.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:42 PM

I like when the kids at summer camp come up for hugs and we are a family environment there, so nobody bats an eye, but I can see how it would be considered awkward at public school, especially since I wouldn't hug all the kids, so it would be somehow considered playing favorites too which I wouldn't do. That's not necessarily an impulse of mine though, I just didn't like being told that I shouldn't do that because I'm a man. Any policy on that should apply to everyone.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:00 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
I like when the kids at summer camp come up for hugs and we are a family environment there, so nobody bats an eye, but I can see how it would be considered awkward at public school, especially since I wouldn't hug all the kids, so it would be somehow considered playing favorites too which I wouldn't do. That's not necessarily an impulse of mine though, I just didn't like being told that I shouldn't do that because I'm a man. Any policy on that should apply to everyone.
In my experience, women are held to the same standards.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:43 AM

Yeah, but in a prior post awhile back I mentioned about being told specifically I should never hug any kids because I'm a man, but she does it because she is a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching