Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 06:10 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Egads......

How old is your child?

Age of a child is irrelevant. It's not child job to clean in school. If we are to start thinking that students should help keep school clean, we will get to the point where in high school it will be suggested that student should be picking up rags, brooms and mops and helping janitors.

Kids are welcome to volunteer if they want to clean but it should not be expected of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 06:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Age of a child is irrelevant. It's not child job to clean in school. If we are to start thinking that students should help keep school clean, we will get to the point where in high school it will be suggested that student should be picking up rags, brooms and mops and helping janitors.

Kids are welcome to volunteer if they want to clean but it should not be expected of them
Let's compare a child cleaning up the mini mess that they make at school with how you act on your job. Let's say that you accidently spill your coffee on a few of the papers on your desk. Do you leave a note for the janitor to clean it up at night? Or, do you clean up the mess that you made before it ruins all of your papers? How is that different than asking a child to wipe up the glue that they spilled on their desk?

Or you drop your pen or computer mouse on the floor. Do you expect the janitor to sweep them up at night and throw them away? Or do you pick them up so that you can continue working? How is that different than asking a child to pick up the crayons or pencils that they drop on the floor?

Hmmm, something to think about.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:15 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Let's compare a child cleaning up the mini mess that they make at school with how you act on your job. Let's say that you accidently spill your coffee on a few of the papers on your desk. Do you leave a note for the janitor to clean it up at night? Or, do you clean up the mess that you made before it ruins all of your papers? How is that different than asking a child to wipe up the glue that they spilled on their desk?

Or you drop your pen or computer mouse on the floor. Do you expect the janitor to sweep them up at night and throw them away? Or do you pick them up so that you can continue working? How is that different than asking a child to pick up the crayons or pencils that they drop on the floor?

Exactly!

Old 08-31-2019, 07:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Whatever a child can pick up with a bare hand... gets picked and thrown away up by the children.
Picking up isn't janitorial work.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:13 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:

The issue isn't about cleaning up after yourself; it's about cleaning up after others. I said earlier in this thread, and my opinion hasn't changed over the last several years -- chores are fine; they teach basic responsibility. But using clean up as punishment for the whole class over the actions of a few is wrong. It should be the ones who made the mess cleaning up, not the ones who didn't.

To use your own example, cleaning up your desk from your spill before it ruins your papers is normal. But Bob across the office who spills coffee on his desk every day, drops donut crumbs on the floor, papers strew all about, does the boss make you go over and clean up Bob's mess every day before you can go home?

Common chores and rotating duties is good; punishing the whole class for the actions of a few isn't.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:09 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:

I work at a hospital. There are some doctors and nurses who have the same attitude as the person you responded to. Some of them leave their break room a disaster and complain about housekeeping and ants. One day I overheard them complaining about housekeeping not cleaning their break room and I received horrible dirty looks when I remarked, “well why did you make such a mess instead of picking up after yourselves?”. The worst example you gave actually happened. One of our housekeepers received a page about a “spill, STAT”. Not a big deal being a hospital because spills happen and are a safety issue. However this spill was a few drops of coffee on the floor right next to the nurse’s desk with the nurse who spilled the coffee still sitting there. The nurse’s attitude was so dismissive and obnoxious that the housekeeper tossed the mop at the nurse telling her to clean it up herself and then walked off the job never to return.

It is EVERYONE’S responsibility to keep up their home and work place. At work places this doesn’t mean full janitorial work. It means trash put in the proper receptacle, not tossing trash on the school grounds or floors, and not intentionally creating messes in rest rooms. It’s so sad to see a parent threaten legal action at even the thought of her child being required to pick up after themselves. Parents like this are part of the problem.the other end of the spectrum is parents who live in filth and pass on this behavior onto their kids who come to school thinking tossing trash on the floor is normal.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:17 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I have a rule in my classroom which states that if there is trash on the floor, no one is allowed to leave until it's cleaned up. All of my students agreed to this at the beginning of the year. I have their signatures and of the parents too.

Yesterday, my 3rd block class left trash on the floor (those ruffles from spiral bound paper, crumpled up paper, and other random papers), so I made them clean up the floor before they were allowed to leave(the mess which their class caused). It takes all of 30sec with everyone working together.

Last night, I got a nasty email from a parent stating that I treated her daughter like an "unpaid janitor" by having her clean up the floor.

In Japan, schools sometimes do not have custodians because the students are responsible for keeping the classroom clean. I'm hoping that my clean classroom rule transfers over to the rest of their lives. How many times have you gone into a public restroom, only to find trash all over the floor? People seem to have this mentality that "if it's not mine and I'm not responsible for cleaning it, I don't care." By allowing my students to leave with the floor dirty, it further supports this mentality.

Instead of after school detention, I'm all for having students clean classrooms. After all, the students are the ones who make a mess.

What are your rules for keeping the classroom clean?
1. This is not Japan.

2. I'm all for students cleaning up their mess. But I am not in favor of students having to clean up the mess made by others. In our school cafeteria, the students sitting at one particular lunch table were responsible for cleaning up their lunch table, but not more than that.

3. I hope you're also in favor of teachers cleaning up the faculty lounge.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:30 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. This is not Japan.

2. I'm all for students cleaning up their mess. But I am not in favor of students having to clean up the mess made by others. In our school cafeteria, the students sitting at one particular lunch table were responsible for cleaning up their lunch table, but not more than that.

This is about creating a community or societal expectation of keeping the community (classroom) clean.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:40 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
(snip)
I have worked in quite a few different schools. In each and every school it was the teachers who cleaned the break room (except for sweeping and mopping the floor and disinfecting the tables at night). Dirty dishes? Teachers responsibility. Spills in the microwave? Teachers responsibility. Left overs left out. Teachers responsibility. Dirty refrigerator? Teachers responsibility.

But, this thread is about students cleaning up after themselves (or their classmates for a communal mess).

Old 08-31-2019, 11:26 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I work at a hospital. There are some doctors and nurses who have the same attitude as the person you responded to. Some of them leave their break room a disaster and complain about housekeeping and ants. One day I overheard them complaining about housekeeping not cleaning their break room and I received horrible dirty looks when I remarked, “well why did you make such a mess instead of picking up after yourselves?”. The worst example you gave actually happened. One of our housekeepers received a page about a “spill, STAT”. Not a big deal being a hospital because spills happen and are a safety issue. However this spill was a few drops of coffee on the floor right next to the nurse’s desk with the nurse who spilled the coffee still sitting there. The nurse’s attitude was so dismissive and obnoxious that the housekeeper tossed the mop at the nurse telling her to clean it up herself and then walked off the job never to return.

It is EVERYONE’S responsibility to keep up their home and work place. At work places this doesn’t mean full janitorial work. It means trash put in the proper receptacle, not tossing trash on the school grounds or floors, and not intentionally creating messes in rest rooms. It’s so sad to see a parent threaten legal action at even the thought of her child being required to pick up after themselves. Parents like this are part of the problem.the other end of the spectrum is parents who live in filth and pass on this behavior onto their kids who come to school thinking tossing trash on the floor is normal.

So when are the janitors going to share the pay with students for doing their work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching