Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Realize that no news station would ever cover such a story
I've been a teacher. I've been a journalist covering education, too.

In the latter capacity, I actually DID cover teachers striking over lack of district support on several occasions. The public MOST CERTAINLY DOES NOT stand behind them and support them. The response is outright vitriol. Mainly because teachers striking was inconvenient in terms of childcare issues it created. Even the most bleeding heart in the community withdrew their support after the strike went for more than about a week, in each case. Looking to the public for support is an outright joke, in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 07:18 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
...I predict that there will be a real shortage in about 10 years as people figure out what is happening and stop going into teaching. Then they'll hire anyone off the street who is breathing to stand in front of a classroom. In the long run they are hurting themselves by treating their younger teachers as disposable. If you want to go into teaching, wait about 10 years. For now avoid it like the plague.
I share your sentiments and frustration. But I think this is the general plan. The future will simply require babysitters to monitor kids while they learn on computers. Hiring babysitters is much cheaper. Teachers today are seen as villains sucking money from taxpayers. Really sad. Because in my opinion education is more than learning a subject. Teachers are there to inspire and help students realize their potential. Computers can never do that.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:26 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I share your sentiments and frustration. But I think this is the general plan. The future will simply require babysitters to monitor kids while they learn on computers. Hiring babysitters is much cheaper. Teachers today are seen as villains sucking money from taxpayers. Really sad. Because in my opinion education is more than learning a subject. Teachers are there to inspire and help students realize their potential. Computers can never do that.

THAT will be a disaster. Learning on a computer requires intrinsic motivation. I have a friend who teaches at a school that tried this. They put 60 students in a room on computers with a teacher and a para to watch over them. MOST of the kids paced so slowly that they'd never come even close to finishing half of the class. She and the para spent their time chasing kids off of other websites. Most of the kids failed to finish enough material to get credit for the class. It was a short lived experiment.

Unfortunately, I agree with you on the public's opinion of teachers. The thing I miss the most from engineering is being respected for what I do.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:47 AM

393 posts, read 409,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Assault on a staff member went form a Level IV automatic expulsion to a Level II up to 5 days suspension for a first offense.

Distribution of alcohol or drugs went from a Level IV automatic expulsion (although there was a work around built in to that) to a Level III 10 day suspension for a first offense.

Chronic insubordination/chronic class disruption went from a Level II 3 -5 day suspension to 1 day ISS for a first offense.

On 3 separate "assault" on teachers last year. All three were thrown out because the teacher was found at fault for "provoking" behaviors

Alcohol and drugs usually results in a 3 day suspension.

Insubordination/chronic class disruption. THERE IS NO SUCH THING at my school. You can remove them and the admin will walk them back up in 10 minutes after a CONFERENCE.

Misery

Old 02-27-2016, 03:16 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
On 3 separate "assault" on teachers last year. All three were thrown out because the teacher was found at fault for "provoking" behaviors

Alcohol and drugs usually results in a 3 day suspension.

Insubordination/chronic class disruption. THERE IS NO SUCH THING at my school. You can remove them and the admin will walk them back up in 10 minutes after a CONFERENCE.

Misery
...with a cookie and a reprimand for the teacher for sending them in the first place...

If I had my first year in my current school to do over again I would NEVER have sent a student to the office. The students knew that I'd be the one in trouble and that just served to empower them to up the ante and act even worse next time. Pop quizzes work so much better. THAT gets their peers mad at them.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Sometimes the law does prevail though.

3 Deltona Middle School students accused of poisoning teacher | Local News - WESH Home
On Monday, the teacher, a 52-year-old woman, referred one of her students to the principal's office for dumping glue into another student's backpack and for suspicion of stealing a laptop computer. Angry at her teacher and wanting to get back at her, officials said the girl came up with the idea of pouring something into the teacher's drink.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:29 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sometimes the law does prevail though.

3 Deltona Middle School students accused of poisoning teacher | Local News - WESH Home
On Monday, the teacher, a 52-year-old woman, referred one of her students to the principal's office for dumping glue into another student's backpack and for suspicion of stealing a laptop computer. Angry at her teacher and wanting to get back at her, officials said the girl came up with the idea of pouring something into the teacher's drink.
I'm a little surprised the teacher didn't get reprimanded for having a drink in front of the students.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:12 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I'm a little surprised the teacher didn't get reprimanded for having a drink in front of the students.
I drink water, soda, and coffee all the time in front of my older students. I do not let the freshmen have any food or drink.

I occasionally munch on snacks as well.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:23 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
When schools started getting hammered for mediocre or sub par graduation rates.

That's when schools backed off. Schools more or less said "ok if it's gonna be a game of numbers, then we'll play the game". My school does not directly or formally punish teachers for failing kids BUT there is a reason why last year all the tough graders in the English dept were not allowed to teacher senior english. Admin went out of their way to make sure every senior was greased through.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
When schools started getting hammered for mediocre or sub par graduation rates.

That's when schools backed off. Schools more or less said "ok if it's gonna be a game of numbers, then we'll play the game". My school does not directly or formally punish teachers for failing kids BUT there is a reason why last year all the tough graders in the English dept were not allowed to teacher senior english. Admin went out of their way to make sure every senior was greased through.
Our seniors have figured this out and are currently cutting classes with impunity. They know that the district is putting pressure on teachers to pass students who don't even show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching