Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:28 AM

280 posts, read 419,568 times

Advertisements

In my daughter's class, if some kids are talking/misbehaving, the teacher takes off minutes of lunch time from the whole class. This doesn't seem fair to the kids who are behaving like my child. Do you agree with this kind of discipline? I'm guessing it's so the other kids will put pressure on the misbehaving kids to behave, but from what I've seen, the misbehaving kids don't seem to care either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:02 AM

12,600 posts, read 8,824,665 times
I'm not a fan of the "punish everyone" philosophy. It tends to unite the group against the authority (teacher in this case) rather than against the ones who caused the problem. They did that to us in senior year and we became united group to specifically defy the principal. Heck most of us had no idea what it was even about, but we just weren't going to give in to that kind of arbitrary rules.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:09 AM

44,910 posts, read 59,894,528 times
The theory behind it is that the class as a whole will modify the bad behavior of the transgressors, peer group influence.

It doesn't work.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:14 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,572,875 times
Punishment should revoke privileges.

Lunch is a necessity, not a privilege. If she wants to punish someone, she should remove minutes of some kind of fun activity. Our elementary used to have kids sit on the curb for 5 or 10 minutes during recess, according to the offense. Kids hated missing recess, but they should NOT be made to miss any amount of lunch.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,131,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The theory behind it is that the class as a whole will modify the bad behavior of the transgressors, peer group influence.

It doesn't work.
Well said. And it doesn't work. And then if you take time off lunch/recess for only the misbehaving kids there's no one to watch them while you monitor recess/lunch so it ends up being a wasted effort.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:09 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,666,342 times
I think it is great. Peer pressure trumps authority any day.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,634,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

It doesn't work.
Well, it does work, but only in some situations.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:09 PM

8,796 posts, read 15,235,339 times
Heck no. Taking time off their lunch takes time off of my lunch.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:30 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,217,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Punishment should revoke privileges.

Lunch is a necessity, not a privilege. If she wants to punish someone, she should remove minutes of some kind of fun activity. Our elementary used to have kids sit on the curb for 5 or 10 minutes during recess, according to the offense. Kids hated missing recess, but they should NOT be made to miss any amount of lunch.
What is fun anymore? Many schools have eliminated everything fun.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
In my daughter's class, if some kids are talking/misbehaving, the teacher takes off minutes of lunch time from the whole class. This doesn't seem fair to the kids who are behaving like my child. Do you agree with this kind of discipline? I'm guessing it's so the other kids will put pressure on the misbehaving kids to behave, but from what I've seen, the misbehaving kids don't seem to care either way.
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, per se, except that it's definitely not universally effective.

Social accountability can ABSOLUTELY work for certain groups. It's more likely to work for a smaller group where the kids know and like one another, often where the kids involved are pretty much on the same page, and there's more social pressure that actually matters to each individual in the group.

In a bigger class, you'll have kids who really, plain and simple, won't care at all about the pressure from peers to quit screwing things up for all of them. When you have students who have behavioral issues (or are just dicks), too, you'll get ones who couldn't care less about missing lunch time, don't like any of the other kids, and are perfectly happy to see everybody get screwed over due to their actions, might even get satisfaction from it. So in that case, it's obviously not a functional procedure, and a teacher would have to asses that. Behavioral intervention techniques are really about seeing what works and what doesn't.

Either way, the reality is that in life, sometimes one person DOES/a few people do "ruin it for everybody," so it's not like it's a situation that has no functional application. A few people's behavior DOES often have consequences that affect people who did not take part in any of the behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching