Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this teacher have the right to do this? Professor Smashes Student's Cell Phone.
Yes 37 32.46%
No 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,417,542 times

Advertisements

^^^ditto to squeezebox and Radek^^^

Does he have the right, necessarily? Nope. But good for him!! DH teaches part-time at the local comm college and he cannot BELIEVE some of the stuff his students do. He's always talking about if these kids were at UT or A&M they'd be kicked out of class!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,872,276 times
The professor did not have a right to destroy the students property but this is yet another example of the horrendous job parents are doing raising their kids! Why did he not have the phone on vibrate? Is he so important that he has to talk during class? Why did his parents not teach him to respect not just his teachers but the others in the class? Middle school and high school kids shouldn't even have cell phones at school. This person could have waited until after class and gotten a v-mail. When did we all become so self important? The professor should replace the phone but the student should write an apology to the professor about respect and why it's important to our society!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,325,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
If it was an emergency, the student would have been leaving the room already.

Professor did nothing when it rang.
Did nothing when the student answered it
when the student continued to talk, the professor dealt with it.
I probably would have smashed it too. Kids nowadays are totally our of hand. (I have 2 teens who aren't and I am a stay at home mom these past 6 years (since we moved away from home) but I am active as PTO President and on several other committees as I have been all their lives, but let me tell you, kids have no self control either.)

Old 02-12-2008, 09:08 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,506,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
The professor did not have a right to destroy the students property but this is yet another example of the horrendous job parents are doing raising their kids! Why did he not have the phone on vibrate? Is he so important that he has to talk during class? Why did his parents not teach him to respect not just his teachers but the others in the class? Middle school and high school kids shouldn't even have cell phones at school. This person could have waited until after class and gotten a v-mail. When did we all become so self important? The professor should replace the phone but the student should write an apology to the professor about respect and why it's important to our society!
Exactly.

My phone was on vibrate and I'm sitting in class, waiting for the prof to show and it to start.

My father calls (this is still 4 mins before class)
I press reject.
He calls back for some reason (still before class). I pick it up, tell him quickly and quietly, "In class, I'll call you back" and I hang up before I hear what he has to say.
10 minutes later, he calls back again... and I reject it and he finally leaves me a voicemail.

thats how you treat someone calling you. Granted, had my professor taken my phone and smashed it to the ground, I would have been really upset.

But, it was on vibrate, and I let my father leave me a message. I called him back directly after class and he just wanted to chat about the call I had made to him earlier.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,906,455 times
Are there no cellphone rules in this school? Where my children are in Middle School, cellphones are banned from the classroom. They are subject to confiscation (vibrate or not) and the rules are they stay in the lockers. After the third confiscation, the cellphone is not to be returned to the student for a year. Parents are aware of this. I think the teacher should have confiscated the cellphone. I think the display of anger is inappropriate in front of his students.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,760,220 times
The teacher had no right to destroy private property. What he should have done is send the student out of the class. Even though the student acted poorly, the professor should recompense him for destruction of private property.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
No to breaking......YES YES YES to confiscating it......and I would have given it to ....Campus Police.....Dean of Students.....SOMEONE....ANYONE that would have required that the erring student jump thru many many hoops before he got it back.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:15 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,325,563 times
Thumbs down angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Are there no cellphone rules in this school? Where my children are in Middle School, cellphones are banned from the classroom. They are subject to confiscation (vibrate or not) and the rules are they stay in the lockers. After the third confiscation, the cellphone is not to be returned to the student for a year. Parents are aware of this. I think the teacher should have confiscated the cellphone. I think the display of anger is inappropriate in front of his students.
What confuses me is that everybody is saying how "angry" this professor got. Personally, I didn't see a whole heck of a lot of anger in him. What I saw was a teacher who probably already had rules in place for cell phone usage and the student defied those rules. I suspect that the teacher had already warned the students that if they were caught using a cell phone in the middle of a lecture they would have their cell phones confiscated and possibly even thrown out, thrown on the floor or whatever...

From the LACK of reaction from the other students, I highly doubt that this teacher taking the students cell phone away and throwing it to the floor came as a surprise. It appears to me that it was expected. When you think about it, why in the world was someone else taping that exact student at that exact time? Possibly this was all for show?

Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,417,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
The teacher had no right to destroy private property. What he should have done is send the student out of the class. Even though the student acted poorly, the professor should recompense him for destruction of private property.
If the property was so private, perhaps the student shouldn't have been using it in a college classroom.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,760,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
If the property was so private, perhaps the student shouldn't have been using it in a college classroom.
Excuse me? I've already said the student shouldn't have been using it, but that doesn't give the professor the right to SMASH it. Send the student out of the class, sure, but not to destroy personal property. If you think that's okay, tell ya what -- hypothetically speaking -- next time you get caught speeding, let's have the officer tow your vehicle to the crusher. Sound fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching