Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
We had a principal a few years ago who actually banned teachers from going into each others' rooms during their planning periods. He was afraid we were conspiring against him.

Why are they so afraid of teachers talking to each other? You have to wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,234,050 times
I am a teacher of 20 years, and a strong union supporter, and a card-carrying Democrat.
But Kasich is right, in theory. To quote my education methods professor to us teachers-to-be: "Stay out of the teachers lounge: it's a den of iniquity."
My prof was absolutely, for the most part, correct. At least in my experience. Lots of sniping and gossiping and overall negativity, about the school and about individual students (some of them special ed where confidential stuff was illegally discussed) and select staff.
Make an "appearance" a couple of times a month, but otherwise eat in your classroom, and hang out with a couple of the outstanding teachers who ALSO stay out of the teachers lounges. I've seen horrible transformations of young teachers: fresh-faced idealistic souls who now resemble (in appearance and values) the bitter and angry lounge lizards who "mentored" them negatively, day in and day out, for a school year or two or twenty.
It isn't all the teachers lounge's fault, but it definitely plays a part. And sets a tone. Yuck.
Staying out of there is the best advice I ever received. I'm passing it on.
But I'm still NOT voting for Kasich.

Last edited by kpl1228; 04-19-2016 at 06:18 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 PM

888 posts, read 454,498 times
Quote:
We had a principal a few years ago who actually banned teachers from going into each others' rooms during their planning periods. He was afraid we were conspiring against him.
That would be funny if it weren't for real. It's more like something you'd see on the Simpsons.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 PM

888 posts, read 454,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I am a teacher of 20 years, and a strong union supporter, and a card-carrying Democrat.
But Kasich is right, in theory. To quote my education methods professor to us teachers-to-be: "Stay out of the teachers lounge: it's a den of iniquity."
My prof was absolutely, for the most part, correct. At least in my experience. Lots of sniping and gossiping and overall negativity, about the school and about individual students (some of them special ed where confidential stuff was illegally discussed) and select staff.
Make an "appearance" a couple of times a month, but otherwise eat in your classroom, and hang out with a couple of the outstanding teachers who ALSO stay out of the teachers lounges. I've seen horrible transformations of young teachers: fresh-faced idealistic souls who now resemble (in appearance and values) the bitter and angry lounge lizards who "mentored" them negatively, day in and day out, for a school year or two or twenty.
It isn't all the teachers lounge's fault, but it definitely plays a part. And sets a tone. Yuck.
You're right that teachers' lounges can be a place where there is a lot of bitter gossip, but that's not always the case. In some schools that's the exception. I was told to make sure to arrive part way through the lunch hour so as to not accidentally sit in the spot a senior teacher always sits in to learn what seats to always leave free. Unfortunately, there's some truth to that. I worked in the private sector before changing to education and those lounges tended to be places of a lot of awful gossip as well. I think lounges become infected with an awful attitude because there is something wrong with the workplace.

It's not just the lounge that may change a new teacher. Being a new teacher is a rude awakening to the demands of the profession. Teacher credentialing programs do not prepare teachers for the burnout experienced those first few years, with occasional exceptions. If anything, folks who want to get rid of the teachers' unions probably secretly approve of the teachers' lounges you described. It's that kind of attitude that keep teachers from becoming really organized. While we still have strong unions, or associations as they're typically called, their organization does not rely on the lounge, even if some coordination is done there. Were teachers to become really organized, we'd be very formidable. As it is, we pay our dues financially and come out of the woodwork on occasion to beat back the worst of the attacks against us.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
I've definitely worked in settings where two teachers conversing was seen as potential mutiny/conspiring. If, as an administrator, this is the first thing that crosses your mind when you see two subordinates conversing, that's a pretty good indication that your leadership is **** poor and so is morale.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Teacher, from a family of teachers, pro-union, liberal, non-Kasich fan, etc., here, too.

And the most practical advice I ever got in regard to teaching/working in schools in general was, without a doubt," "Stay out of the teacher's lounge." There is cattiness, inappropriate/unethical conversation about students, trash talk about parents, trash talk about other professionals in the building, etc. It's not a place I found remotely appealing.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:02 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Hilarious. I don't know why they call it a lounge. Teachers don't lounge. It's a lunch room, with a microwave, like most people have if they work all day in a building that they can't leave. Where would he like us to eat lunch, or would he abolish that too?

Old 04-20-2016, 04:03 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Teacher, from a family of teachers, pro-union, liberal, non-Kasich fan, etc., here, too.

And the most practical advice I ever got in regard to teaching/working in schools in general was, without a doubt," "Stay out of the teacher's lounge." There is cattiness, inappropriate/unethical conversation about students, trash talk about parents, trash talk about other professionals in the building, etc. It's not a place I found remotely appealing.
I've heard that advice too, but that wasn't true of our lounge. It was like any other workplace lounge, and as there was only 20 minutes to eat there wasn't time for a lot of talk. People were more likely to have impromptu meetings about instruction than they were to trash talk anyone. And anyway, it wasn't private enough to trash talk. We did that after school, behind a closed and locked classroom door.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:17 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I've heard that advice too, but that wasn't true of our lounge. It was like any other workplace lounge, and as there was only 20 minutes to eat there wasn't time for a lot of talk. People were more likely to have impromptu meetings about instruction than they were to trash talk anyone. And anyway, it wasn't private enough to trash talk. We did that after school, behind a closed and locked classroom door.
And in many schools, the teachers' supervisors and administrators ate lunch alongside the teachers in that lounge as that was the only place with a refrigerator, microwave, sink, or coffeemaker.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:20 AM

I student taught with a cooperating teacher whose husband was on the school board, and she and a few others ate lunch in the basketball coach's office, because she got so sick of having to sit through lunch listening to people ****talk her husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching