Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You get tuition? We pay our own in Michigan.
Yes, but it's Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 01:39 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
In many cases, this simply isn't true. Books and documentaries have been made about it--by liberal pro-union type people.

Radical: Fighting to Put Students First: Michelle Rhee: 9780062203984: Amazon.com: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Waiting-Superm...n%3A2650304011
Just saw this so I apologize for late response. Having said that, the links you are referring to are complete bull****. Geoffrey Canada and Michelle Rhee may fall into liberal categories for unknown reasons. But they are about the money. Rhee turned out to be a failure and a fraud and Canada's way of keeping up his reputation is to get rid of under performing students while treating his constantly turning over staff like slaves. Waiting For Superman was nothing more than a charter school advertisement....even though it admitted that only one in five charters do as well as public schools. Rhee is a liar...I don't know if I'd call Canada a liar, but he is not exactly truthful and manages to skirt around critical questions.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:04 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Hi. I see a lot of districts in New York do not have unions. What are the pros and cons of working for a district with/without one? Thanks
I'm shocked by this. I live in lower NY (Long Island) and all our SDs are unionized.

Pros: Collective bargaining. Health insurance. Pensions (assuming the state doesn't wipe them out by the time retirement rolls around). Due process if you're tenured (you can't be fired because the principal wants to bring in a friend/family member into your position).

Cons: Popular opinion seems to be anti-union.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:33 PM

280 posts, read 250,206 times
Not a teacher but will weigh in as a parent and spouse to a teacher.

In CA the "union" gets blamed for a lot of what is wrong with the education system. While some blame can be put there, I think that bad administrators are a larger issue.

The biggest cons to the union:

1) it is really hard to fire a bad teacher. While not impossible, it is quite a bit of work and more than what most Principals are willing to do.

2) The union fights consistently for a shorter school year. Most contracts are for around 180 school days. This is significantly lower than the rest of the world.

3) The union really fights for the current members and not the new hires. A new teacher will make less than half of a tenured one. In theory this is because the senior teacher can help the newer teachers. I wish they would find a way to increase the starting teacher salary.

The Pros have been stated:

1) Protection - People in CA sue over everything.

2) pay increases

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-24-2016 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: fixed typo - Principal, not principle

Old 05-23-2016, 04:38 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I'm shocked by this. I live in lower NY (Long Island) and all our SDs are unionized.

Pros: Collective bargaining. Health insurance. Pensions (assuming the state doesn't wipe them out by the time retirement rolls around). Due process if you're tenured (you can't be fired because the principal wants to bring in a friend/family member into your position).

Cons: Popular opinion seems to be anti-union.

Then how come many of the districts on Long Island end with UFSD ( for example: Wyandanch UFSD, East Williston UFSD).

I am really trying to understand this...

Old 05-23-2016, 09:02 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Then how come many of the districts on Long Island end with UFSD ( for example: Wyandanch UFSD, East Williston UFSD).

I am really trying to understand this...
The answer to the above was explained to you on the Long Island forum when you posted the exact same question. The U in Union Free School District has absolutely nothing to do with Labor unions and actually pre-dates them.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:46 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The answer to the above was explained to you on the Long Island forum when you posted the exact same question. The U in Union Free School District has absolutely nothing to do with Labor unions and actually pre-dates them.

yes thank you for reminding me but I hadn't forgotten that I posted the question....

I read the true definition but looking for people's opinions and experiences that would not be answered in a google search

Old 05-30-2016, 01:47 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Pros:
Higher pay
Excellent benefits including 100% tuition
Internal postings
Better job protection

Cons:
Idiot coworkers who have been saved by said job protection!

I have a great union, that's the only negative.
I agree 100%. I know of a teacher who filed a grievance against a principal for being unfairly treated- he won. Try doing that without a union. But then again, I've worked in union districts where that would never happen.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:35 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
If you're really talented at your job you don't need a union.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:24 PM

112 posts, read 83,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
If you're really talented at your job you don't need a union.
True but sometimes the talented teachers don't have time to worry about getting the best benefits like good negotiated agreements, salary increases, health care plans, bonuses, etc.

Unions usually have good leadership who looks out for making sure that the District negotiates a good contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching