Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 06:57 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times

Advertisements

Are you tutoring a very very select subset of students? IE kids of zillionaires trying to get into Harvard? No one I know could pay those rates. Those rates are higher than a full day's pay for many of the parents around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 02:40 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Are you tutoring a very very select subset of students? IE kids of zillionaires trying to get into Harvard? No one I know could pay those rates. Those rates are higher than a full day's pay for many of the parents around here.
I wish that were true. But no, these are for middle class kids. The rates for Huntington Learning Center, Kunon, etc. are similar except parents usually buy a package of sessions. When my kid was in high school, we got a highly recommended piano teacher who also taught in a local community college. She did have a PhD in piano from Juillard, but she only performed at small local venues like libraries. This is now already more than 6 years ago. She charged 85 dollars per hour and she required payment for a month of lessons by the first of the month. This was the first teacher I've ever encountered who insisted on paying for lessons in advance. If you cancelled, she would work out a make-up lesson. I can understand why she did it, but it still annoyed the heck out of me. Anyone who tries to live on 85 dollars a day as a salary either lives with their family who supports them or in a shelter or on the street. Cost of living is very high. My daily public transportation costs to get to my job (less than 20 miles) is $26 per day, excluding the cost of town parking for the station. It wouldn't pay for me to work for $85 dollars a day. We also needed a math tutor during 6th grade because the new school (junior high-yes we still have junior high schools) followed a different time frame with the curriculum than the current elementary school. This is going back over a dozen years already and we paid $65 for a middle school math chairperson to tutor my kid at his house.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:00 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Min wage in Tn is $7.25. That's $58 for an 8 hour day. We pay PhD physicists way less than $85 an hour. You must be in NYC or some similar area.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Most in Ca wouldn't/couldn't pay those rates.
No, they wouldn't...far too high!

Old 07-10-2016, 05:16 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I volunteer with a second grader. I have no input from the teacher about how best to help my kid. She is slammed with kids who are needy in different ways.
She sometimes gives me a worksheet or a game to reinforce his skills. I found out that he is interested in fishing, so I bring our newspaper with a page about what people caught and make him read it. I bring an appropriate book for him to read, but it needs to be in a subject that interests him or he tunes out.
Bottom line, his parents did not introduce him to reading, and so now, he is behind.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:10 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
I understand where Coney is "coming from". The rates are all relative to the area in which one lives. While our hourly rates are probably a bit less, $50-60 or so for tutoring an elementary student is fairly standard IME. The music lesson rates mentioned earlier don't seem unreasonable. This is often in addition to sports lessons, club sports, and daycare.

As far as hourly wages, I'd imagine $85 an hour (when you break down salaries to an hourly rate) is not unusual.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:29 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya12 View Post
Hi, yes I have teaches some 8th- 10th class students. It was a good experience, I have learned many things during teaching.
Wow great!

What are you teaching?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:35 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,196 times
Tutoring is great. People will pay for a great service that gets results. Parents will pay $50/hr or more to get their children to grade level and beyond in any given subject. They will also pay that if it helps their children get accepted to college. Adults will pay that and more to develop a skill that will help them get or maintain employment, or get into a good college or training program. Focus on being an excellent tutor, and set a price that will let clients know that what they are paying for is of value.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:50 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
I worked for SurePrep Learning in Phoenix and was assigned to a school in a poor area. The State agreed to pay for 20 hours per semester, per student...primarily so they could pass the mandated test for graduation. I did only Math(s), another guy did Reading. We got very good quantifiable results. Those students would not have paid 10 per hour, nor would their parents. Company billed 40, we got 18. five or 6 hours straight..1-5 people at a time..same pay. The only student with any aptitude was a convicted drug dealer, ex-con with three illegitimate kids. Greatschools gave the school a "1." Ironically, it was a good place to work. Always a policeman nearby. It actually was a lot better than "Subbing" for 100 bucks per day +/-. The next year, no funding, no job. The next year, funding reappeared, they called me expecting me to jump up and run to the school..."Sorry, sold both my homes within five miles of the school." Left the State, and the US, and apparently there was a mass exodus of educators fleeing AZ over those few years..2012-2014...people just saw the writing on the wall that it was systematic starvation.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:01 AM

74 posts, read 49,012 times
I had a good experience working with Professional Tutors of America based out of Brea,CA. I made 28.00 an hour, providing services for kiddos who were struggling in Math and Reading. It was paid for by the state. It wasn't a lot of hours though, and my husband didn't want to provide childcare after his job so I had to quit. If I could have I would still work there, it was interesting work and I got to meet a lot of terrific kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching