Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:49 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Yeah, that's the problem. Only people who have had 3 years of full-time public school experience are exempt. That is not going to help all the people who can't get their foot in the door here in a public or nonpublic school teaching situation and are in sub/assistant/nursery school perpetuity. The required exams seem to be Virginia specific so it's not easy for someone in another state to take them.
All the Virginia specific exams are computerized and can be taken where the Praxis, GRE, and other testing is done in all states. The child abuse test is online and can be taken from your home.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:13 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
All the Virginia specific exams are computerized and can be taken where the Praxis, GRE, and other testing is done in all states. The child abuse test is online and can be taken from your home.
The Pearson Testing Centers state that you have to make "special arrangements" to take the VA tests at a NY test center and they may not be available. What is so frustrating is that different states require different Praxis exams for the same subject cert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 07:59 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
My administration is making personal phone calls if a name pops up or someone thinks they might know somebody willing to take a teaching job.
Still looking. So, if anybody knows anybody...

Old 11-25-2016, 09:27 AM

Our long term sub can't work past December 16. It will be interesting to see what transpires.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Some States, particularly Texas, New Mexico and Arizona are known as starter states for new teachers who need experience in order to get a job in a State that pays or treats teachers better. Those states seem to always have lots of unfilled openings in many districts. New teachers go there for two or three years and then use their experience to get into another State. Not sure why Texas falls into that group, but I know why Arizona does (terrible pay, teachers are treated terribly by the administration and the State, teaching conditions are deplorable).

My daughter is a music teacher, and many of the jobs she looked at initially were schools that had not had a certified music teacher for many years, or ever. Most of the districts in those three states had lots and lots of openings and, in the district she chose (in Arizona) many of the openings went unfilled.

Ont eh other hand in Michigan (one of the top 5 States for treating teachers well according to my daughter), other than Detroit or Flint or a few other places where conditions are terrible, most job postings in public schools draw hundreds of resumes from experienced teachers form other States. Unless you are willing to risk your life or well being, it is next to impossible for beginning teachers to find a full time position in a public school here.

She attended (reportedly) the biggest teaching school in the USA (Eastern Michigan University) and to my knowledge, not one of her classmates that she knows landed a full time public school position in Michigan. A great many of them went to other States, specifically Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and either North or South Carolina. As far as I know, none of them are still in their original State. They all got some experience and moved on to a better State for teachers.

At her school in Arizona, they had a person whose sole job was to try to get new teachers to stay past the 2-3 year mark. They lose most of their new teachers in 2-3 years and apparently they found if they get them to stay beyond 3 years, they have very good odds of keeping them long term. She started out committed stubbornly to staying for a minimum of five years because that is how long it takes to fully establish a music program. However, after 2 years, she could not take it anymore and moved to Colorado (big pay raise, but higher cost of living, deplorable conditions in one school, reasonably good in the other).

Quite a lot of people also move out of teaching altogether. After a few years of teaching with tiny pay increases, they decide they want a job with the opportunity to work their way up to a point where they can afford a couch someday.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some States, particularly Texas, New Mexico and Arizona are known as starter states for new teachers who need experience in order to get a job in a State that pays or treats teachers better. Those states seem to always have lots of unfilled openings in many districts. New teachers go there for two or three years and then use their experience to get into another State. Not sure why Texas falls into that group, but I know why Arizona does (terrible pay, teachers are treated terribly by the administration and the State, teaching conditions are deplorable).

My daughter is a music teacher, and many of the jobs she looked at initially were schools that had not had a certified music teacher for many years, or ever. Most of the districts in those three states had lots and lots of openings and, in the district she chose (in Arizona) many of the openings went unfilled.

Ont eh other hand in Michigan (one of the top 5 States for treating teachers well according to my daughter), other than Detroit or Flint or a few other places where conditions are terrible, most job postings in public schools draw hundreds of resumes from experienced teachers form other States. Unless you are willing to risk your life or well being, it is next to impossible for beginning teachers to find a full time position in a public school here.

She attended (reportedly) the biggest teaching school in the USA (Eastern Michigan University) and to my knowledge, not one of her classmates that she knows landed a full time public school position in Michigan. A great many of them went to other States, specifically Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and either North or South Carolina. As far as I know, none of them are still in their original State. They all got some experience and moved on to a better State for teachers.

At her school in Arizona, they had a person whose sole job was to try to get new teachers to stay past the 2-3 year mark. They lose most of their new teachers in 2-3 years and apparently they found if they get them to stay beyond 3 years, they have very good odds of keeping them long term. She started out committed stubbornly to staying for a minimum of five years because that is how long it takes to fully establish a music program. However, after 2 years, she could not take it anymore and moved to Colorado (big pay raise, but higher cost of living, deplorable conditions in one school, reasonably good in the other).

Quite a lot of people also move out of teaching altogether. After a few years of teaching with tiny pay increases, they decide they want a job with the opportunity to work their way up to a point where they can afford a couch someday.
We need teachers (and it's not Arizona, Texas, or NM). I'm not sure the reasons for the lack of candidates. Perhaps it is the cost of living.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We need teachers (and it's not Arizona, Texas, or NM). I'm not sure the reasons for the lack of candidates. Perhaps it is the cost of living.
Cost of living is a huge factor for No. Virginia. New teachers need to have a roommate or live far out from their school then endure the horrible traffic. The pay is decent for starting out and I think the mentoring and training for new teachers is well done, or at least was when I was working. It's just if they can afford to live there.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:28 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
I live in the Dallas area now and most starting salaries are around $50k out here. Compare that to the $30K range in Missouri. The cost of living here is higher, but not by $20K/year.

Georgia must be hurting for teachers. I was contacted by three different schools in the Atlanta area in July, August, and September. I think I put in a statewide application in the spring.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Cost of living is a huge factor for No. Virginia. New teachers need to have a roommate or live far out from their school then endure the horrible traffic. The pay is decent for starting out and I think the mentoring and training for new teachers is well done, or at least was when I was working. It's just if they can afford to live there.
The pay is really not that great for the area. Your last sentence is pretty much what applicants, especially young ones, from taking jobs here. It's getting worse.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowaicareer View Post
Looking for English Teacher
You should state where you are.

On Friday my school interviewed a candidate for our open elementary position. I know she was offered the position, but I also know she had a other interviews earlier last week. I'm hoping she accepts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching