Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 18,615 times

Advertisements

I am current working on my undergrad in speech pathology and was charged with a misdemeanor carrying a concealed firearm a number of years ago. My charge has since been expunged, but I am worried that will not be employable even after the dismissal of my case. Also, I was considering possibly teaching special ED as a backup plan. Would I be bared from teaching with a concealed firearm dismissal on my DOJ record? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 07:56 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk916 View Post
I am current working on my undergrad in speech pathology and was charged with a misdemeanor carrying a concealed firearm a number of years ago. My charge has since been expunged, but I am worried that will not be employable even after the dismissal of my case. Also, I was considering possibly teaching special ED as a backup plan. Would I be bared from teaching with a concealed firearm dismissal on my DOJ record? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
No, not automatically. First, you can only be required to disclose convictions, although some charges if they involve children are handled differently. Assuming you were convicted as guilty or took an Alford plea, generally misdemeanors that do not involve children can be waived, although you may have to jump through a couple of hoops, such as appearing before a committee or board that decides if it can be waived. In some states you are not required to list expunged or other admistratively set aside convictions but in others the applications specifically state to list them.

Whatever you do, if the application requires you to list them you need to do it, otherwise you can later be fired for lying on your application if they find out. This is a case where begging for forgiveness is definitely NOT better than asking permission. Really, my best recommendation is to spend a little money on a consult with a lawyer to make sure you don't use the wrong interpretation.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:15 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times
Call your state dept of education. Ask them. They will tell you if your offense is cause to not be hired. Had a friend in graduate school that was convicted of improper behavior. She called the state and they told her improper behavior was not on the list of disqualification. And, because it was not on the list, they could not report it to the school districts, so the districts saw nothing about improper behavior on her record. This may vary state to state, but that's how it is in NJ.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:55 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Generally, you have to give details of arrest(s), even if it was dismissed. Check certification requirements first...they will have a list. Expungement does not give you a free pass.....that itself is a red flag, that you will have to explain. What passes and what doesn't pass can vary greatly on demand. There is always a high demand for Special Ed.....I would say if you brought a concealed weapon to a school, they might neg you. It also seems like whether or not you were fingerprinted upon arrest has a huge impact on how long those skeletons stay around.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:47 AM

13 posts, read 20,702 times
Were you a Juvenile? What state did it happen? Was it expunged or sealed? There's a difference. Look at the application for the school district you will be applying for a job. Some say, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor. Others ask if you've ever been arrested. There is legal advice that says if an arrest or conviction is expunged it doesn't have to be disclosed on an employment application. Don't take a chance. Take OldHag's advice and get a lawyer. Good luck.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 18,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttk913 View Post
Were you a Juvenile? What state did it happen? Was it expunged or sealed? There's a difference. Look at the application for the school district you will be applying for a job. Some say, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor. Others ask if you've ever been arrested. There is legal advice that says if an arrest or conviction is expunged it doesn't have to be disclosed on an employment application. Don't take a chance. Take OldHag's advice and get a lawyer. Good luck.
No I was not a juvenile and it was in the state of CA. Also, it was expunged.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:31 PM

244 posts, read 414,444 times
I'm not sure about the process exactly but you can probably get your records sealed.

My husband had a bull**** DUI charge on his record. He had one beer and then was pulled over for a broken tail light. When he blew and it came up as 0.01 the cop thought the machine was broken and arrested him for DUI. He demanded they take a blood test once they got to the station. Blood test? 0.01.

When companies did background checks the DUI arrest would still show up even though the charge was expunged. He finally went about having the records sealed (took some time but wasn't complicated) and he doesn't have to worry about it anymore. This was in CO.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:09 AM

I know somebody who was arrested for accessory to shoplifting (he unknowingly drove someone, who had stolen from Walmart). He was very worried about his Series 7 license to sell securities. An expungement cost him 4500, but he says that is almost more of a red flag than the simple misdemeanor, and he would never have done the expungement had he known what a big trail that makes. In Virginia, by law, the courts destroy all misdemeanor records after 10 years...but the catch 22 is that the arrest will still be there, and then you are unable to provide documentation on the outcome of the case.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,973,706 times
I have been there and done that with more serious charges than you faced. My charges were eventually dropped.

If you were not convicted it is like it never happened. It will not show up on any search and you can legally answer "no" to a question asking if you have ever been arrested as the arrest is legally nullified without a finding of guilty.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:39 AM

that's not true...and the question will specifically state "regardless of disposition." Police and court records might disappear, but the FBI NCIC will not...which is any time you were fingerprinted upon arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching