Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:39 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
The re-coating over the weekend did nothing to my dept. chair's board. I have a feeling they will end up buying us new boards if they can't find a solution...
That is your best scenario!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 10:50 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Get an ELMO and never write on white boards again!

I often asked parents, if they could, could they donate markers. Our school too always went for "budget markers" that were near worthless.

Also budget erasers. I got a Mr Clean kind of thing, that costs a little but could be washed and used for about a year. So superior if you have to use Markers.

My first teaching job, I went to Lowes, bought white boards and put them up. Ended up with a couple of screws showing, but it sure beat the nasty blackboards or the white board paint. Yeah, I spent my own money, but came out way ahead in aggravation.

But again, the ELMO is the answer, or even better, a projector and a tablet. White boards are so, oh 19th century!

Good Luck.

I am so glad I am retired and not putting up with that mess anymore!

Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 PM

331 posts, read 370,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Get an ELMO and never write on white boards again!

I often asked parents, if they could, could they donate markers. Our school too always went for "budget markers" that were near worthless.

Also budget erasers. I got a Mr Clean kind of thing, that costs a little but could be washed and used for about a year. So superior if you have to use Markers.

My first teaching job, I went to Lowes, bought white boards and put them up. Ended up with a couple of screws showing, but it sure beat the nasty blackboards or the white board paint. Yeah, I spent my own money, but came out way ahead in aggravation.

But again, the ELMO is the answer, or even better, a projector and a tablet. White boards are so, oh 19th century!

Good Luck.

I am so glad I am retired and not putting up with that mess anymore!
One school where I taught had Elmos in math classrooms (I teach math). I bought myself a used Avervision document camera for $50 on eBay - best $50 I ever spent!! I use it every day. I give guided notes sheets that we fill out as a class, I project my homework answer key so they can check themselves, etc. etc. But I do use the regular white board every day, too, for warm up problems, also for "extra" things that I don't want the kids to put in their notes but to aid in explaining something, etc.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:31 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Yes, a whiteboard is great for static info such as agenda, HW, etc., that you want up and visible all day.

A combination of the two (document camera/projector and whiteboard) is great.

Personally, I could do without the smartboard.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:32 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
They used the same kind of stuff over our chalk boards. I think it comes in a big roll like wallpaper. I've had better luck with Quartet brand whiteboard markers. The EXPO brand ones are difficult to erase.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:30 PM

331 posts, read 370,005 times
So, the latest update: My dept. chair told the VP, speaking for everyone in this part of the building, that the messed up white boards won't cut it. VP said he would talk to the principal to see "how much they could spend" to fix this problem.

They should have just bought new ones to begin with!

Old 09-15-2016, 09:01 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
So, the latest update: My dept. chair told the VP, speaking for everyone in this part of the building, that the messed up white boards won't cut it. VP said he would talk to the principal to see "how much they could spend" to fix this problem.

They should have just bought new ones to begin with!
What's that old saying... "buy once, cry once"

If they had just bought new boards, they wouldn't need to buy new boards AND the roll-on stuff.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I worked in a private school in a converted office building. My classroom had previously been a glass-walled conference room. We put pull down shades all along the exterior, and then had effective floor-to-ceiling 'whiteboard' 360 degrees around. Just wrote on the glass with dry erase.

I also had the issue of the school cheaping out on off-brand supplies. Schoolsmart dry erase makers don't cut it. I would get my own EXPO ones, and wrap them in patterned duct tape and stick gaudy artificial flowers on the end so they didn't walk off.

I also bought my own Sharpies. Don't mess with my Sharpies.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I also had a Smartboard, and found it buggy, more useful as a projector than anything else, and overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching