Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:58 PM

74 posts, read 48,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I agree with this. I never had family nearby for child care, nor did my parents or my husbands parents. In fact, now that I think of it, our parents didn't live near any of our siblings either so I think of family childcare as a real luxury. My norm was pretty much one of the options that germaine mentions above. ^ .

I would agree with you except for the fact that I have a special needs daughter so not just "anyone" can take care of her. Heck if she was a typical 12 year old she could walk to school (we live very close). I know I walked to school starting at age 10. It's ok, I will figure something out. It's not imperative I sub anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 04:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy_32 View Post
Subbing is not much of an option now that my child's school hours changed. Majority of the jobs start at 8 and my child cannot be dropped off at school until 815. I have no fsmily that can help me in this, so my only hope is a permanent job that starts later. I'm really at the end of my rope here so any feedback will be much appreciated.
Can your child take the school bus?

Old 09-12-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Can your child take the school bus?
No, we live 1/2 mile away so we do not qualify for transportation

Old 09-12-2016, 09:40 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,250,778 times
Quote:
She has special needs but doesn't qualify for transportation?

Old 09-12-2016, 10:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
I would agree with you except for the fact that I have a special needs daughter so not just "anyone" can take care of her. Heck if she was a typical 12 year old she could walk to school (we live very close). I know I walked to school starting at age 10. It's ok, I will figure something out. It's not imperative I sub anyway.
Quote:
Please double check with her special education teacher. In every school district where I have ever taught special education, a child with special needs would qualify for transportation even if they did not qualify if they were in regular education. Now, some children with very mild needs might qualify to ride the regular buses but the district (at least in my state) can not just say that your family is too close to school or that you have to provide the transportation or something like that.

And, if you discuss it with her special education teacher or case manager and the answer is still "No" to transportation check your state law to see if you believe that your daughter qualifies and then go back and ask again (quote the state law).

BTW, there are special needs babysitters and child care providers. Sometimes, they can be hard to find or expensive but after teaching special education for 30 plus years I have known parents who have found appropriate child care for children with all types of physical, cognitive and medical needs. My state even has special programs that help train special needs child care professionals and helps the parents pay for those services, too.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Please double check with her special education teacher. In every school district where I have ever taught special education, a child with special needs would qualify for transportation even if they did not qualify if they were in regular education. Now, some children with very mild needs might qualify to ride the regular buses but the district (at least in my state) can not just say that your family is too close to school or that you have to provide the transportation or something like that.

And, if you discuss it with her special education teacher or case manager and the answer is still "No" to transportation check your state law to see if you believe that your daughter qualifies and then go back and ask again (quote the state law).

BTW, there are special needs babysitters and child care providers. Sometimes, they can be hard to find or expensive but after teaching special education for 30 plus years I have known parents who have found appropriate child care for children with all types of physical, cognitive and medical needs. My state even has special programs that help train special needs child care professionals and helps the parents pay for those services, too.
Thanks, everyone. I found out that her school will allow her to sit in the office before school starts so I have a chance of getting a job with an early start. I appreciate all of your answers. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching