Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:51 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times

Advertisements

The softer you speak, the harder they will listen. It works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:12 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Leah Davies is very knowledgeable.

Give kids a warning before a transition. With little kids, you can sing songs. If you do the count backwards method, it's fun to do it in different languages. When the kids stop responding, spring a new language on them to get their attention.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:45 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I used to ring a small bell when I subbed at the middle school level.

At the HS level I just stood in the front, crossed my arms and gave the class my "teacher stare" with one raised eyebrow. Trust me, they shut after pretty darn fast.

Or, I would silently walk to the board and write a number one. They knew that it meant I would keep the entire class one minute after the dismissal bell rang. After they had me a few times all I had to do was turn around and start walking in the direction of the board and it would get so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Did you ever have to write a 2?
Once in six years of subbing. Two minutes meant that class was at the very end of the long hot lunch line. I occasionally overheard students talking about it even years later. I actually became sort of a legend as the only sub that ever kept a class two minutes making them "late" for lunch.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:43 PM

74 posts, read 48,989 times
Quote:
Once in six years of subbing. Two minutes meant that class was at the very end of the long hot lunch line. I occasionally overheard students talking about it even years later. I actually became sort of a legend as the only sub that ever kept a class two minutes making them "late" for lunch.
In the district my husband works in (won't say the name) you can NOT take away recess for any reason, nor can they ask them to stay after school even a minute. They have to find other ways of disciplining and it's very tough on the teachers.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:06 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
I'm sure that some parent group would get up in arms..

Our h.s chem teacher kept a spritzer bottle at his desk. He was so funny ! He'd casual walk the room and a spritz of water landed on the culprit. We'd all crack up.. Even the kid who was causing the commotion.

My other teacher ( English) had a principle buzzer. If she hit that buzzer.. In two minutes the principle showed up with paddle in hand. It was humiliation at its finest. The student stood, whack! And back to sit. Order restored. ( this one I do side with if a parent got upset.. It's truly uncalled for in our schools)

Old 09-18-2016, 01:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
I asked the principal and the lunch room staff to make sure that I could do that. If I kept a class after school ended, even for a just minute, I had to notify the office to make sure that no one missed the school bus. I could keep the students, but I had to notify the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy_32 View Post
In the district my husband works in (won't say the name) you can NOT take away recess for any reason, nor can they ask them to stay after school even a minute. They have to find other ways of disciplining and it's very tough on the teachers.
That is ridiculous. What if a teacher was right in the middle of explaining something and just needed 30 seconds or a minute to finish up or give the homework or remind them to bring something the next day.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:21 PM

74 posts, read 48,989 times
Quote:
I asked the principal and the lunch room staff to make sure that I could do that. If I kept a class after school ended, even for a just minute, I had to notify the office to make sure that no one missed the school bus. I could keep the students, but I had to notify the office.

That is ridiculous. What if a teacher was right in the middle of explaining something and just needed 30 seconds or a minute to finish up or give the homework or remind them to bring something the next day.
^^That would be allowed if it was just to give an assignment or something class related. But it could not be in a punitive fashion.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:25 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
I would never say anything to get their attention. You should never speak over students because they will just continue to get louder to drown out your voice. I would simply stand at the front of the class and raise my hand. Students had 5 seconds to get quiet otherwise the entire class would stay for 30 seconds after the bell.

It worked well for high school and I'm sure it would work well for middle school as well.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
What are attention getters do you use when the entire class is noisy and off task? I was asked in an interview and was stumped and kind of flubbed it and want to be prepared for my next interview should the question come up again. There are tons I've seen but don't know which are most effective. Ideas?
I find standing in silence often works as does standing silently in proximity of students who aren't quieting down as the rest of the class does. I have to do this a lot in my 4th hour. It's a large talkative class that comes in right after lunch. I'll start out standing in front of the classroom until the kids in the front start to quiet down then move to the side. At some point one of the students will tell the others to pipe down and class gets started. Eventually, they'll figure out they're expected to be ready to learn when the bell rings. Bellwork helps with this too. Right now what I'm teaching in chemistry isn't problem based so I'm not doing it but I will start with the next unit. Then I just loudly say "BELLWORK IS ON THE BOARD". If you do bellwork make sure you walk out into the class to see who is doing it and who isn't. Otherwise they'll just keep talking because they know you're not checking.

For younger classes I've used a hand signal. For example I'll stand in front of the class with my hand up or I'll hold up five fingers and loudly count down to zero. They know they're supposed to be quiet by the time I get to zero. I think this is too babyish for my 11th grade classes but I do it with my 9th grade classes.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
^^That would be allowed if it was just to give an assignment or something class related. But it could not be in a punitive fashion.
If my class is being noisy at the end of the hour I will threaten to keep them after the bell if we need time to finish. Then it's not a punishment so much as a natural consequence of them not paying attention and creating the situation where we need more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching