Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:40 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy_32 View Post
I've been reading these responses, and am happy to report that I got a job offer for the level I wanted. It works out with my child's school schedule as well. It's easy to assume certain things from reading them in an Internet forum, and I feel I have been portrayed by some to be inflexible and not likely to be considered for a job. Luckily my employer saw it differently and gave me a chance. I guess it helped that it was for a former teacher I had subbed with before and she requested me when her aide quit. The right place at the right time!
Hopefully one of those other classrooms will never be short handed and need you to fill in....

Old 09-21-2016, 08:57 AM

74 posts, read 48,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Hopefully one of those other classrooms will never be short handed and need you to fill in....

No, I'm not a sub any longer, so I don't fill in anywhere. Besides, I was never in the mod severe substitute pool anyway, so that was not an option.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:10 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:
No, I'm not a sub any longer, so I don't fill in anywhere. Besides, I was never in the mod severe substitute pool anyway, so that was not an option.
Quite often in schools, if an emergency arises, staff may need to be shifted temporarily to meet students' needs. That's what I am referring to in my post.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-21-2016 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 09-21-2016, 09:48 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
I've been reading these responses, and am happy to report that I got a job offer for the level I wanted. It works out with my child's school schedule as well. It's easy to assume certain things from reading them in an Internet forum, and I feel I have been portrayed by some to be inflexible and not likely to be considered for a job. Luckily my employer saw it differently and gave me a chance. I guess it helped that it was for a former teacher I had subbed with before and she requested me when her aide quit. The right place at the right time!
That's great!

There are times and things in our life where it is not only okay to be inflexible, it is the right thing to do. Been there, done that, so have most people. Such choices can have ramifications, I am glad it worked out for you. You have a child with special needs, I absolutely agree seeing to her needs is more important than a job, especially if you can financially swing it without one.

At the end of the day, how the person hiring you saw your situation is all that matters. The problem with putting things going on in your life on a forum is that there will be people who will give you the truth as they see it, all filters off. It is just part of the nature of the beast.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:47 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Quite often in schools, if an emergency arises, staff may need to be shifted temporarily to meet students' needs. That's what I am referring to in my post. You don't present yourself as a team player. Good luck.
Yes, that did happen with some regularity in our school.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There are times and things in our life where it is not only okay to be inflexible, it is the right thing to do. Been there, done that, so have most people. Such choices can have ramifications, I am glad it worked out for you. You have a child with special needs, I absolutely agree seeing to her needs is more important than a job, especially if you can financially swing it without one.

At the end of the day, how the person hiring you saw your situation is all that matters. The problem with putting things going on in your life on a forum is that there will be people who will give you the truth as they see it, all filters off. It is just part of the nature of the beast.
Totally agree.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Quite often in schools, if an emergency arises, staff may need to be shifted temporarily to meet students' needs. That's what I am referring to in my post. You don't present yourself as a team player. Good luck.

My school district doesn't have permanent aides filling in for other classes. They have a large pool to cover staff that are out. I am a team player, actually, but since I don't know you and you don't know me there's no sense in arguing.

Last edited by Ivy_32; 09-21-2016 at 04:59 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, that did happen with some regularity in our school.

I can see how that would be needed in other schools, but my district is very attractive to applicants, they have a huge sub pool to choose from. There are "district paraeducators" that oversee all of the paraeducator training and in the rare occurrence a sub is not available, one of the registered paras will fill in for the gig. Once you are a permanent aide like myself, you never sub again unless you request to go back to the pool.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:56 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I can see how that would be needed in other schools, but my district is very attractive to applicants, they have a huge sub pool to choose from. There are "district paraeducators" that oversee all of the paraeducator training and in the rare occurrence a sub is not available, one of the registered paras will fill in for the gig. Once you are a permanent aide like myself, you never sub again unless you request to go back to the pool.
I think you missed the meaning of the post you were responding to. Here it is: "Quite often in schools, if an emergency arises, staff may need to be shifted temporarily to meet students' needs."

We're not talking about a common teacher absent, sub hired situation. We're talking about if an emergency arises. No matter how good a school is (and mine was considered the best middle school in Fairfax County and one of the 10 best in the state of Virginia...and Fairfax is one of the best school systems in the nation), emergencies do occur. Midway through the school day, getting a sub is not usually very easy. A teacher is rushed to the hospital or just goes home at 1 p.m. quite ill. You don't get a sub for 90 minutes. You make do. And you make do with the personnel whose work experiences are closest to the professional taken ill. That's just one example. In my time as a teacher I pitched in in virtually every subject matter in an emergency -- foreign language, history, home ec, shop, sped, math, even orchestra...and I was an earth science teacher.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you missed the meaning of the post you were responding to. Here it is: "Quite often in schools, if an emergency arises, staff may need to be shifted temporarily to meet students' needs."

We're not talking about a common teacher absent, sub hired situation. We're talking about if an emergency arises. No matter how good a school is (and mine was considered the best middle school in Fairfax County and one of the 10 best in the state of Virginia...and Fairfax is one of the best school systems in the nation), emergencies do occur. Midway through the school day, getting a sub is not usually very easy. A teacher is rushed to the hospital or just goes home at 1 p.m. quite ill. You don't get a sub for 90 minutes. You make do. And you make do with the personnel whose work experiences are closest to the professional taken ill. That's just one example. In my time as a teacher I pitched in in virtually every subject matter in an emergency -- foreign language, history, home ec, shop, sped, math, even orchestra...and I was an earth science teacher.
No, I do understand the meaning of the post. I am not a teacher. I am a paraprofessional. While every school district is different, if a paraprofessional in my district has an emergency and has to leave the classroom there is a huge pool to choose from to fill in. In the rare case that a para sub cannot be found, there are about five district paras that work in the district offices that are in charge of training. They will be called in that situation. The poster stated that they hoped I would not be asked to fill in a mod-severe classroom. I was merely pointing out that there is no chance of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching