Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 12:36 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times

Advertisements

Oh dear, OP; I was almost afraid to peek at your location because I was afraid you were talking about my son.

He's not a violent child but he panics when he feels backed into a corner & as a 5'10" 200 lb 12 year old when he bolts he resembles a linebacker running the field.

Unfortunately with developmental disability the developemental hormones do not seem to be delayed; it sort of resembles what can happen to an average man when they start to "juice".

I really admire what all you educators do every day; y'all deserve the same credit given to our first responders & I'm sure there is a special place in Heaven for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 04:28 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
LOL - I thought the same thing and was tempted to post a link to this thread on that thread.
Your advice in post #18 was spot on. My impression of you as an educator is "gold star"!

This thread demonstrates what most of us in education know. That it doesn't matter what's in the job description, when it comes right down to it, when a kid or kids need to be supervised, the need is "now". No time to get someone from central office or personnel. "We", whether we be teachers or administrators or aides or counselors, just have to step in. As a principal, I had no training in sped, except on the technical aspects of how to conduct IEPs and such similar stuff, but sometimes I had to step in and cover. Even kids who are special needs are still kids that need to be supervised and, often, protected.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
An update: I'm seeing if I can get a new doctor and an appointment but it's Arizona and typically there is too many patients and not enough doctors. I do plan on talking to my principal if possible today. There is a pre-planned meeting for the Paraprofessionals.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh dear, OP; I was almost afraid to peek at your location because I was afraid you were talking about my son.

He's not a violent child but he panics when he feels backed into a corner & as a 5'10" 200 lb 12 year old when he bolts he resembles a linebacker running the field.

Unfortunately with developmental disability the developemental hormones do not seem to be delayed; it sort of resembles what can happen to an average man when they start to "juice".

I really admire what all you educators do every day; y'all deserve the same credit given to our first responders & I'm sure there is a special place in Heaven for you!
I meant to send it yesterday but no, it wasn't your son. I work in a high school. I work with 15-20 year olds depending on their disability status. Though I agree with you.
Thank you for your kind words. I was in special education due to delayed speech and it was nothing near what it is now. So many more things for our students today then there was 24 years ago when I was in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching