Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 683 times

Advertisements

I was arrested for marijuana over 10 years ago because it was on my passenger. I pled guilty, served probation (and was released early), and handled all of my fines. On my criminal background, it just shows the arrest, do I need to disclose the entire situation when applying to a teacher certification program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 06:56 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
You'll be doing yourself no favors if you go through the certification program and can't be hired. You probably ought to sit down with one of the professionals at the school who is knowledgable about certification standards in the state where you envision teaching and honestly discuss the whole matter. Various states have different approaches to certification of a person with a record, but I can't think of a one where you aren't going to at least be required to do some explaining to be certified with a record - for anything, including jaywalking. What you are describing does sound like the type of stuff many states will allow to be exempted. It really does depend on state you are going through your program and where you plan on being certified. There are states where it won't be a problem and you'll merely have to write an explanatory letter. There are states that you'll have to physically appear before a board and explain what happened. There are states where you simply will not be allowed to be certified.

Whatever you do, do NOT lie about it on any application associated with getting a certification or getting a job in education. This is not a case of begging forgiveness is easier than asking permission. While telling the truth may make some hesitant to consider you, if they find out you've lied they will revoke your certification. And they will find out. I would be shocked if there is still a state or district out there anymore that doesn't fingerprint and background check every person prior to hiring them.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:23 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyFlowers View Post
I was arrested for marijuana over 10 years ago because it was on my passenger. I pled guilty, served probation (and was released early), and handled all of my fines. On my criminal background, it just shows the arrest, do I need to disclose the entire situation when applying to a teacher certification program?
I would speak to an attorney and try to get it expunged. I had a friend that was arrested for pot when he was in his early 20's, he had the records expunged, then later in life became a cop himself.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:59 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I would speak to an attorney and try to get it expunged. I had a friend that was arrested for pot when he was in his early 20's, he had the records expunged, then later in life became a cop himself.
In many states you still have to report expunged convictions and it can affect your ability to get certified and/or employed.

From Florida:
What if the offense was sealed or expunged by the criminal court, or if it was a juvenile offense?

If you can give an affirmative response to the question on the application, you must acknowledge the record, whether or not the record is sealed, expunged or juvenile. There are two sections on the application, one to indicate sealed, expunged or juvenile records and one to indicate those records that are not sealed, expunged or juvenile.
From Ohio:
How do I answer the conviction question if I have had my conviction expunged?

It is permissible to answer "no" to the question of whether you have ever been convicted but you must still answer "yes" to the question of whether you have ever had a conviction sealed or expunged. You must also provide an explanation even though the conviction was expunged.
From Pennsylvania:
If I am an Education major and get charged with UAD, does that mean I will never be able to teach in Pennsylvania?

According to the Pennsylvania Crimes Code (Section 9124), neither summary offenses nor expungements can be used in consideration of acceptance or denial of a state license or certificate. Therefore, you will still be eligible for teaching status in this state. While it is not legal for the state to deny a teaching certificate because of a summary offense, it is legal for a school district to deny employment based on past citations of any kind. Even though a UAD will not appear on a background check, it does remain on record with the University Judicial Office and/or the police and can be accessed by any school district that chooses to search for the information.
Rhode Island:
Expunged records must be disclosed under Rhode Island General Law 12-1.3-4.
There are more, but you get the picture. There are states where expungement works, if I remember correctly California is one, but no one should automatically assume expungement will take care of the issue without researching the rules in the state where they plan on getting their certification or where they plan on teaching. Teachers, like law enforcement officers, often have higher standards of "good moral character" requirements than most professions.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:41 AM

393 posts, read 409,039 times
Many states today won't even ask about criminal background, except if it's a felony, or anything involving children. Many states, and individual districts are using "ban the box" which will exclude you "checking" the box if you have a criminal record, except where mentioned above.

I should add, that this removes criminal history in the initial hiring process, but in the final stages you may be asked about specifics, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching