Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:15 PM

525 posts, read 404,751 times

Advertisements

Hello you all, I am doing a poll to figure out what is your technique for misbehavior in the classroom?
Where I work at, we are we required to not hit or spank the children when they misbehave, and a way to handle tantrums is to create an area in the class where the kids can go and be to themselves. We were also taught to do calm down techniques with the children.

Although those things sounds great, I think at times they can be unrealistic. Especially if the child is a harm to others in the classroom. For instance, I have came in contact with children that throw chairs across the room, hit, bite, and slam children heads against the wall. Children like that needs some serious butt whooping, and conversation. As a Pre K teacher, I realize that children throw fits, and not all fits needs to be discipline with a spanking. In the state I work at, they do not like us logging children behavior regardless if it is violent or not. I disagree with that because discipline starts when children are young, not when they are half way in Elementary Ed.

Where I work at now, I have any behavior kids. All of them act like typical 4 and 5 year old. However there are times when some of them misbehave. I have a cozy area where children are sent in the back of the classroom to sit and rest there nerves, and when they are ready they are able to join the class. During my circle time or morning meetup or in the hallway some of my students tend to get loud when wanting to answer a question or want to tell me a story about their weekend, and I do pat on the head or tap on the head with my hand. When I do that they know that is the code for being too loud. Sometimes I use my pointer stick to point at them or I pat them with my pointer stick.

I never spank people children but whenever I had a student that was out of control, I was sure to tell the parents that something more than "Me time" has to be done.

I got tons of spankings growing up, and it did not kill me. I think people are too sensitive now.

What are your thoughts?

This is also a little off topic but I was doing tons of research on what to do when children has completed activities early during small group or instructional time. I have yet to come across anything
So far I allow the children that are done early to go get a book and read there group tables or area quietly

Old 11-07-2016, 07:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,665,326 times
Where do you live that it's even legal for teachers to put their hands on children???

Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 PM

50,370 posts, read 23,960,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Hello you all, I am doing a poll to figure out what is your technique for misbehavior in the classroom?
Where I work at, we are we required to not hit or spank the children when they misbehave, and a way to handle tantrums is to create an area in the class where the kids can go and be to themselves. We were also taught to do calm down techniques with the children.

Although those things sounds great, I think at times they can be unrealistic. Especially if the child is a harm to others in the classroom. For instance, I have came in contact with children that throw chairs across the room, hit, bite, and slam children heads against the wall. Children like that needs some serious butt whooping, and conversation. As a Pre K teacher, I realize that children throw fits, and not all fits needs to be discipline with a spanking. In the state I work at, they do not like us logging children behavior regardless if it is violent or not. I disagree with that because discipline starts when children are young, not when they are half way in Elementary Ed.

Where I work at now, I have any behavior kids. All of them act like typical 4 and 5 year old. However there are times when some of them misbehave. I have a cozy area where children are sent in the back of the classroom to sit and rest there nerves, and when they are ready they are able to join the class. During my circle time or morning meetup or in the hallway some of my students tend to get loud when wanting to answer a question or want to tell me a story about their weekend, and I do pat on the head or tap on the head with my hand. When I do that they know that is the code for being too loud. Sometimes I use my pointer stick to point at them or I pat them with my pointer stick.

I never spank people children but whenever I had a student that was out of control, I was sure to tell the parents that something more than "Me time" has to be done.

I got tons of spankings growing up, and it did not kill me. I think people are too sensitive now.

What are your thoughts?

This is also a little off topic but I was doing tons of research on what to do when children has completed activities early during small group or instructional time. I have yet to come across anything
So far I allow the children that are done early to go get a book and read there group tables or area quietly
In 13 years of teaching and 20 years of administration I never once had to resort to "butt whooping", and IMHO, any teacher who has to resort to that has no business in the classroom. I have no problem with parents spanking kids, but it should not be a technique used by educators.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Where do you live that it's even legal for teachers to put their hands on children???

Re-read my post I never said it was legal. I stated that i use a cozy area for my students or I use the pat tap. That is far from butt whooping.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In 13 years of teaching and 20 years of administration I never once had to resort to "butt whooping", and IMHO, any teacher who has to resort to that has no business in the classroom. I have no problem with parents spanking kids, but it should not be a technique used by educators.

Yea I agree. It is unprofessional. Growing up I was taught by older teachers and they would spank in the classroom. Times has changed since then. I never had to butt whoop anyonr before either.I get most of my students attention by other techniques. As I stated, I use pat or tap.if I pat your head that means you are too loud or if I tap your head that means you are too loud.
******Note*****
Pat and tap should not be done hard on students heads. Gentle pats or taps only!

Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,026,928 times
I taught special education for over 30 years, in fact, my specialty was preschool age children with severe behavioral problems. And I never even once considered any type of "butt whopping" let alone "serious" butt whopping as a classroom behavioral technique.

Frankly, I am so stunned by your post that implies that you think that corporal punishment should be used in the classroom that I can not even respond.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,026,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Yea I agree. It is unprofessional.
Growing up I was taught by older teachers and they would spank in the classroom. Times has changed since then. (snip)
I started 1st grade in 1958. Spanking was not used in any of the schools that attended and I really doubt that it was used very often anywhere in my state at that time. Times had already changed.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I taught special education for over 30 years, in fact, my specialty was preschool age children with severe behavioral problems. And I never even once considered any type of "butt whopping" let alone "serious" butt whopping as a classroom behavioral technique.

Frankly, I am so stunned by your post that implies that you think that corporal punishment should be used in the classroom that I can not even respond.
I never said it shouldn't be used in the classroom. I said behavior logs or documents should be done in children with behavior. Maybe I worded what I am trying to explain wrong.

Basically the state that I work in does not require any behavior logging in young children. They want us to wait until the children start Kindergarten. I do not agree with that. For one, I believe that behavior issues should be cope with early. Starting public school or grade school will be too late. In many districts, children with behavior problems tend to get pushed to the side. As a Pre K teacher, I make sure I document everything. I recently had a student that I had to document and write up because she kept hitting and throwing chairs. I called her mom, and her mom was told multiple times to get her daughter screened. I explained good to seek help now while she is younger than to do it later on.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I started 1st grade in 1958. Spanking was not used in any of the schools that attended and I really doubt that it was used very often anywhere in my state at that time. Times had already changed.

What part of the U.S. did you grow up in? I started school in the South back in 1997 and many teachers spanked children or paddle children. I read this article that stated the South still is the number one region for corporal punishment,and that it is more so done to minority students.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:15 PM

11,590 posts, read 12,611,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree and the original post is so egregious (grammatically and the content), I can't help wondering if this is a troll post.

Even Ohio, officially, permitted corporal punishment under certain conditions in the 80s, but I truly doubt that anyone was able to use it without legal repercussions. If I ever even tried to "tap" a child with my hand or a pointer as an act of discipline, I would have been fired on the spot and lawsuits would be flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching