Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 02:16 PM

525 posts, read 406,118 times

Advertisements

When I think about all of the hard work and dedication I put into my students, I feel a sense of pride and worth that makes me want to stay just for their sake. I will have to be strong and tough it out until the end of the year, which was my initial plan all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 02:18 PM

Preschool is not Pre-Kindergarten FYI

Old 11-13-2016, 02:23 PM

I enjoy teaching Pre K so much. It gives me so much joy to be teaching a young bunch of children. It is just the place. I would also like to add that being that I teach Pre K in a daycare I am rated by two government entities that both give rules required by Pre K teachers that conflict with each other. If I taught in a public school I would only have to go by one of those government entities.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:26 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Keeping money away from pre K teachers is a right for a mid-year jump. I was once about to get hired mid year at the local public school, but I turned the job down.
You asked opinions, this teacher disagrees. You can effectively teach until the end of the year with a shortfall of money. Millions of teachers worldwide do it. I've done it myself. It requires creativity and the drive to fulfill your commitment.

Ivory is offering an opinion that supports your decision. I understand why you'd prefer her stance. I hope more teachers chime in before you decide.

You should know, as a new teacher (and I can tell you are new), that leaving mid-year can leave a mark with you. Word gets around. It can be justified - but many principals and hiring directors may perceive you poorly. They may consider that you can't teach without a lot of money. They may think you are going to quit at minor setbacks. This is something to strongly consider, seeing as though we're near to December.

You can easily get shortchanged in the school system too. I did 2015-2016 without a desk and a shared laptop. Yep. It sucked. And I left because of it! In June.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
You asked opinions, this teacher disagrees. You can effectively teach until the end of the year with a shortfall of money. Millions of teachers worldwide do it. I've done it myself. It requires creativity and the drive to fulfill your commitment.

Ivory is offering an opinion that supports your decision. I understand why you'd prefer her stance. I hope more teachers chime in before you decide.

You should know, as a new teacher (and I can tell you are new), that leaving mid-year can leave a mark with you. Word gets around. It can be justified - but many principals and hiring directors may perceive you poorly. They may consider that you can't teach without a lot of money. They may think you are going to quit at minor setbacks. This is something to strongly consider, seeing as though we're near to December.

You can easily get shortchanged in the school system too. I did 2015-2016 without a desk and a shared laptop. Yep. It sucked. And I left because of it! In June.

Yes I can teach without money, but what you also have to understand this women was offered A GRANT THAT COVERS THE FUNDING FOR PRE K. Its not like she did not have anything. Whenever I go to training and many teachers are well supplied with the materials that they need. I am leaving in May because that is when the school year ends. I will just have to make due with what I got.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:01 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Quote:
Yes I can teach without money, but what you also have to understand this women was offered A GRANT THAT COVERS THE FUNDING FOR PRE K. Its not like she did not have anything. Whenever I go to training and many teachers are well supplied with the materials that they need. I am leaving in May because that is when the school year ends. I will just have to make due with what I got.
I did not miss that part. I have worked extensively with grant-funded programs and for the life of me, couldn't see where it was apparently going. I couldn't say whether or not the funds were poorly distributed (I'm leaning towards yea, improper distribution) but that's not your place. Your place is to teach with what you're given. You won't like that, but this is a reality. Report them if you think there's fraud.

Is this your first teaching job?

Old 11-13-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I did not miss that part. I have worked extensively with grant-funded programs and for the life of me, couldn't see where it was apparently going. I couldn't say whether or not the funds were poorly distributed (I'm leaning towards yea, improper distribution) but that's not your place. Your place is to teach with what you're given. You won't like that, but this is a reality. Report them if you think there's fraud.

Is this your first teaching job?
I have been teaching Pre-K with my parents since I was in college, however it was Vouluntary Pre K. I now teach Pre K in a more federally funded program. I do not know if she is doing fraud or if she is not allocating the funds appropriately. It is items that should be in the classroom that the students should have. We have yet to see those items. By the end of the year, we do an inventory, and if those items are not in the classroom that will possibly close the program down. The reason why I am worried because when the state come in and inspect they mark me for the furnishing as well as the classroom flow.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
I enjoy teaching Pre K so much. It gives me so much joy to be teaching a young bunch of children. It is just the place. I would also like to add that being that I teach Pre K in a daycare I am rated by two government entities that both give rules required by Pre K teachers that conflict with each other. If I taught in a public school I would only have to go by one of those government entities.
Well, there are problems in a public school system, too. I taught most of my career at that level (Three to five year olds in special education, as well as team teaching in Four Year Old Kindergarten). In addition to being supervised by whatever government agency supervises PreK in your state, you will also be supervised by the principal, director of curriculum & development and possibly others (kindergarten team level leader, school board, superintendent, etc).

I remember several times when my principal told me to do something one way and the director of special education told me to do the same thing a completely different way and neither one agreed with the other.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Well, there are problems in a public school system, too. I taught most of my career at that level (Three to five year olds in special education, as well as team teaching in Four Year Old Kindergarten). In addition to being supervised by whatever government agency supervises PreK in your state, you will also be supervised by the principal, director of curriculum & development and possibly others (kindergarten team level leader, school board, superintendent, etc).

I remember several times when my principal told me to do something one way and the director of special education told me to do the same thing a completely different way and neither one agreed with the other.

WOW! The whole thing is an headache and too much of a strain on teachers

Old 11-13-2016, 06:01 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The only issue my kids ever had with a teacher leaving was caused by the school. They were so mad at the teacher for leaving (she got a much better paying position that she desperately needed) and wouldn't even let the kids say good bye. They just bad mouthed the teacher and told the kids she never really cared about them. The school's behavior was abhorrent. For the kids sake she should have been allowed to finish out her two weeks notice and to say good bye to her students.

I really don't think leaving mid year is the big deal people think it is.
What is "the school"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching