Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:21 AM

480 posts, read 664,120 times

Advertisements

CollegeCurious -

Do you realize how much you hurt the children, who you professed to love, in what you did?

I have a daughter who was recently in daycare. About two years ago, a teacher up and quit with no notice. We observed significant regression in our daughter. Drop offs became difficult, she started hitting other kids. She bonded with someone who, at that age, she loved and cared for deeply, and that person just disappeared from her existence one day.

The kids will know something is deeply wrong when they see their pictures are gone. They won't know what, so the children will probably blame themselves. They probably are thinking that they were being bad and drove you away, and if they would have been nicer to you, you would have stayed.

How would you feel if your father just disappeared? Heartbroken? That is exactly how your kids are feeling right now.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:32 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
No you do not have any basis to go after the superintendent or principal in any way that will benefit you. You said you got your check? You are lucky that you did after taking things you cannot prove belong to you.

You are trashing your potential career, but it sounds like you do not belong in teaching anyway. If you want to be a teacher, or any other professional position :

1. You need to focus on being a better employee. Move your focus from you (what are my rights? What can/should I get?) to the job (what can I do to make things better here?) Stop complaining.
you have enough to overcome with a bad or no reference from your prior employer. You need to be the perfect employee at your present job. Even so, your behavior at your prior job is likely to come back to haunt you at some point. Can you move to another state?

2. Go back to college and get some education in education. If you want to stay in teaching, you really need to learn to teach. You may have picked up a few things, but you do not know the accumulated knowledge of thousands of people about what works in teaching and how teaching works. A lot of it is common sense, but not all of it.

3. Learn to write and speak properly. No one is going to take you seriously when you cannot understand basic grammar or proper usage of words. You really need some work there. At a minimum, have someone more familiar with English and writing/word usage go over your resume. You really need to learn the difference between was and were, seen and saw, etc. Whether speaking or writing, improper grammar or word usage stands out and will close most doors.

Good luck.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 AM

50,100 posts, read 35,741,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Hey you all. Most of the avid posters probably have came across many of my posts about me leaving my GA Pre-K teacher job.

Today I sent in my letter of resignation. I thought that maybe I was going to quit with any arguing because I sent everything by email.

Well today the director and site director noticed that THE ITEMS I BOUGHT WITH MY MONEY was missing out of my classroom and I told her that is because I got them out of there over the weekend.

She got angry and wanted to meet with me. She told me that if I do not meet with her that she will hold my paycheck! That is against the law.

She then stated that me coming into AN OPEN BUILDING during the weekend would be considered theft by taking!

How can that be theft by taking if I am taking my things and was given permission to come in the building by the supervisor?

The problem is that most of the supplies in the classroom was mine. Including the pictures I took of the children. She's mad because she now has to come out of pocket with most of the materials.

I came to the meeting humble and listened to what she had to say. She raised her voice at my dad who I decided to bring with me as a witness.

What can I do in this situation. I am still getting paid Friday, but can I report her or just let it go?
did I do anything illegal as a teacher?
She said she was holding your check until you meet with her, so just meet with her. You can't just come in on your own when the place is closed and take things. I buy things for work too, but everything I bought is clearly labeled with my name and kept seperately, and I don't just come in secretly over the weekend and take it when I quit, I ask the supervisor what's a good time for me to do this. You had a right to get your things, but you did it in an underhanded way that aroused suspicion, nothing to report IMO. Then you add to that perception by trashing pics of the kids that hang in the classroom? IMO that is petty and vindictive and is proof enough of why your supervisor had such issues with you. I honestly don't think you should be a teacher, because if you cared about kids their pics would have been more important than sending a vindictive message to your boss.

I don't think you have a realistic view of what the work world is and how to take direction from authority, and I suspect you will struggle with issues like this regardless of where you work. Plenty of people have bosses we don't like, but we don't get in arguing matches with them. You do your jobs the way your boss wants you to or find another job, those are the only two options. Not let me get revenge, let me argue about how I know more than she does.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-22-2016 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-22-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
She didn't appreciate those pictures no way. She complained about them too much. I just got them and left. I also do not want her taking any credit of what I do.
I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I know several people have told you that you need to improve your grammar if you want to be a teacher, and I again want to emphasize how important this is. If you write an e-mail to a parent (and yes, they will be e-mailing you in a public school) and speak as you did above, the parents are going to question your competence to teach their children.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:11 AM

525 posts, read 403,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She said she was holding your check until you meet with her, so just meet with her. You can't just come in on your own when the place is closed and take things. I buy things for work too, but everything I bought is clearly labeled with my name and kept seperately, and I don't just come in secretly over the weekend and take it when I quit, I ask the supervisor what's a good time for me to do this. You had a right to get your things, but you did it in an underhanded way that aroused suspicion, nothing to report IMO. Then you add to that perception by trashing pics of the kids that hang in the classroom? IMO that is petty and vindictive and is proof enough of why your supervisor had such issues with you. I honestly don't think you should be a teacher, because if you cared about kids their pics would have been more important than sending a vindictive message to your boss.

I don't think you have a realistic view of what the work world is and how to take direction from authority, and I suspect you will struggle with issues like this regardless of where you work. Plenty of people have bosses we don't like, but we don't get in arguing matches with them. You do your jobs the way your boss wants you to or find another job, those are the only two options. Not let me get revenge, let me argue about how I know more than she does.

Withholding an employee check for any matter is against the law in ALL 50 states. I was told I could enter the building on the weekend to get items. The building was also open and I was still considered an employee.

Secondly, I never got into an argument match with her. I turned in my letter of resignation and left. She's the one that wanted to meet with me and ended up raising her voice and putting her hands in everyone's face. I remained professional. That lady is a nut job.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
CollegeCurious -

Do you realize how much you hurt the children, who you professed to love, in what you did?

I have a daughter who was recently in daycare. About two years ago, a teacher up and quit with no notice. We observed significant regression in our daughter. Drop offs became difficult, she started hitting other kids. She bonded with someone who, at that age, she loved and cared for deeply, and that person just disappeared from her existence one day.

The kids will know something is deeply wrong when they see their pictures are gone. They won't know what, so the children will probably blame themselves. They probably are thinking that they were being bad and drove you away, and if they would have been nicer to you, you would have stayed.

How would you feel if your father just disappeared? Heartbroken? That is exactly how your kids are feeling right now.

I do care for those kids, however, as a teacher I have to be in an environment that fosters learning and growth. That place should not be considered a place where children should learn in their early years.

I feel bad for the children. I contacted the parents and will be giving the pictures to them

Old 11-22-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Withholding an employee check for any matter is against the law in ALL 50 states. I was told I could enter the building on the weekend to get items. The building was also open and I was still considered an employee.

Secondly, I never got into an argument match with her. I turned in my letter of resignation and left. She's the one that wanted to meet with me and ended up raising her voice and putting her hands in everyone's face. I remained professional. That lady is a nut job.
It's not against the law to require you to come into school in order to get your check. If she said "you don't deserve a check, I'm not giving it to you" she would be breaking the law, telling you they have questions about the things you took and destroyed and requiring you to come in to get the check after meeting with her about it is not against the law.

Btw, without receipts, she could have called the cops and made you give it all back, but she didn't. Same with the pics - doesn't matter one whit that you used your camera, when you trashed them, you were guilty of destroying school property. So take this as a win and move on.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:17 AM

Here is my final E-mail to her. Maybe this would let you know the kind of woman she is.

Attached is the receipt is the donation slip. I donated all the items that the children gave. A thank you letter from the organization will be given to Pre-K via mail.

I wish to not have any other communication with you. Today should have never happened. If anyone in that room should have been angry, it should have been me. I maintain my posture in a professional way. The meeting was just to start confrontation, and I am not that type of person

During my 5 months of employment, I went out of pocket to buy materials for the classroom and went to training(s) that I was not reimbursed for. Per the ****** Handbook, Pre-K teachers are to have rooms, mileage, and meals covered. I still have an email where you stated that these things will be covered. Although the training in *** was a "Make-up" training, I still was to be allowed funding. I came out of pocket with all the training(s). I was then given a bogus check for the training in **** that bounced two times the day it was given. Even through all of that, I remained professional because I do not educate for the money. I educate because it is a career that I enjoy doing.

Withholding an employee check for any matter is a major lawsuit in ALL 50 states per the Society of Human Resource Management, The Fair Labor Standards Act, and the Georgia Department of Labor. I was also not practicing theft by taken. Those items were mine and came from my expense. When you get a chance, please send me the inventory list. I did not take anything of yours.

I have any ill-intent towards you. I just wish to quit and focus more on my career and education in teaching. I also do not wish to get into any legal matters because it is certainly uncalled for.

Again, Thanks for the experience and I wish you the best.

(I CAN GET LOCATIONS AND ABBREVIATE FOR CONFIDENTIALITY.)

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-22-2016 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: removed identifying words

Old 11-22-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not against the law to require you to come into school in order to get your check. If she said "you don't deserve a check, I'm not giving it to you" she would be breaking the law, telling you they have questions about the things you took and destroyed and requiring you to come in to get the check after meeting with her about it is not against the law.

Btw, without receipts, she could have called the cops and made you give it all back, but she didn't. Same with the pics - doesn't matter one whit that you used your camera, when you trashed them, you were guilty of destroying school property. So take this as a win and move on.

I have receipts for everything I purchased for the classroom. Everything I brought should have been funded by the grant money. She told me she will not RELEASE PAYROLL if I do not meet with her. That is highly against the LAW. How can you not realize this. You can not withhold an employee check for any reason!

Old 11-22-2016, 09:33 AM

480 posts, read 664,120 times
Quote:
I do care for those kids, however, as a teacher I have to be in an environment that fosters learning and growth. That place should not be considered a place where children should learn in their early years.

I feel bad for the children. I contacted the parents and will be giving the pictures to them

So therefore you feel it is okay to hurt children because you don't like the environment you work in?

I'm not saying you can't quit. But you quit nicely, with 2 weeks notice, and let the children know 2 weeks in advance that you won't be there, and leave the pictures of them up on the wall.

Taking the pictures with you was the worst possible thing you could to do the children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching