Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 10:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

I'm neurotypical and am utter garbage when it comes to mentally filing dates, deadlines, and appointments.

I know this about myself and recognize the need for compensatory strategies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 01:48 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm neurotypical and am utter garbage when it comes to mentally filing dates, deadlines, and appointments.

I know this about myself and recognize the need for compensatory strategies.
I need to find a system that works, but I'm guessing the lack of sleep plays a part in all of this.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:23 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
I need to find a system that works, but I'm guessing the lack of sleep plays a part in all of this.
It doesn't matter! Use a plan book!! Make yourself look at it several times a day. Use reminder apps. That's the magical formula most of us use to magically remember things that you cannot. It's not rocket science.

You seem to acknowledge your weak areas but refuse to "wear your glasses" as Germaine so perfectly stated it. You should print out that post of hers and read it over and over because that is the best analogy you have been given on these boards and you should easily recognize the truth in it if you are being honest with yourself. I notice the closer a post comes to truth, the more you avoid to and skip to a post easier to respond to.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn't matter! Use a plan book!! Make yourself look at it several times a day. Use reminder apps. That's the magical formula most of us use to magically remember things that you cannot. It's not rocket science.

You seem to acknowledge your weak areas but refuse to "wear your glasses" as Germaine so perfectly stated it. You should print out that post of hers and read it over and over because that is the best analogy you have been given on these boards and you should easily recognize the truth in it if you are being honest with yourself. I notice the closer a post comes to truth, the more you avoid to and skip to a post easier to respond to.
I really haven't done it on purpose. I don't know what it is with me and planners, sticky notes, emails, phone reminders, ugh. I have tried memory aids and got results to little avail. I guess it's silly if I tell you that I forgot to look at the planner the last time I used it, but that's what happened. I eventually misplaced the planner. I know. I'm terrible at this!

Old 11-26-2016, 12:52 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
kmb and Germaine wrote you great posts. You do ignore the blunt posts. Germaine gave you a great analogy to help you understand, yet you still do not seem to understand. You are a blind person who refuses to put on her glasses. It is not normal to be so distracted and to be this dysfunctional. Has your counselor given you a set of glasses or have you not told her about this. Let her give you a prescription for glasses and follow it.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Well, I have been a professional tutor for younger students, and I definitely did NOT use a curriculum guide. I designed my own assessments to evaluate what the students needed to learn to meet their grade level goals, I designed my own lessons using a wide variety of materials in my "curriculum library" and I designed lessons that would be engaging and motivating for that individual child. Everything was completely individualized for that specific child.

I do not know what tutors for ACT or SAT prep do. Perhaps you can become friends with some successful tutors and "pick their brains" for ideas? Or work with an agency that provides test prep so that you can "learn the ropes".

Also, IMHO, a person who is disorganized would have an extremely difficult time being an effective tutor. IMHO, unless it was truly a situation beyond your control (flat tire on your car, sudden case of the flu) & you call to let the client know as soon as you know, you should never, ever miss a scheduled tutoring session.

BTW, if you are not trained in test prep how do you think that you could be effective, paid tutor in that area?
Maybe it's not a perfect fit, but I'm better at this than I am at classroom teaching.

Also, where did you learn what you know? Was it from working at tutoring centers, a program at school, or from just working with kids? I bet you didn't know everything when you started tutoring professionally, either. Take a step away from the idea that I have a social communication disorder and advise me the way you would advise any able-bodied person looking to get started as a professional tutor. Stop telling me I can't do X, Y, or Z; you really don't know what I can or can't do, and I feel like you are making a lot of incorrect assumptions, maybe based on my past threads.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:56 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Maybe it's not a perfect fit, but I'm better at this than I am at classroom teaching.

Also, where did you learn what you know? Was it from working at tutoring centers, a program at school, or from just working with kids? I bet you didn't know everything when you started tutoring professionally, either. Take a step away from the idea that I have a social communication disorder and advise me the way you would advise any able-bodied person looking to get started as a professional tutor. Stop telling me I can't do X, Y, or Z; you really don't know what I can or can't do, and I feel like you are making a lot of incorrect assumptions, maybe based on my past threads.
I started tutoring after being a teacher for 30 plus years. I had decades of experience assessing students and designing programs to meet their individual needs. I also focused on the ages/grade levels where I had the most knowledge.

Unfortunately, I lived & tutored in a middle class area, so parents were not as used to paying for lessons & other things so it was hard to find jobs and they did not pay very well. I charged $25 to $35 an hour and supplied all of the materials. Others that I know (also teachers with at least 10 to 15 years experience in the classroom) charged $40 to $45 an hour in wealthier areas. They mostly tutored students in the same subject or grade level where they were currently teaching, or had recent experience teaching, so they were very familiar with the expected curriculum and district and state exit goals.

A fellow teacher, that I was acquainted with, tutored in a very wealthy area of our metropolis. She charged $90 an hour and only did it a couple of hours a week on Saturday morning. She said that when the parents were used to paying $125 an hour for tennis lessons (or things like that) they thought that $90 an hour to help their child succeed in HS classes was a "bargain". She told me that she had so many potential clients that she had to turn some away. She only advertised through "word of mouth" from her previous & current clients. I did not know her very well, but she had been a 1st grade teacher for at least the previous 15 years, but she primarily tutored AP calculus and, I believe, AP chemistry. I had always assumed that sometime in the past she must have been a HS teacher in those subjects.

I wish that I could give you more information but that was my experience and the experiences of people that I know. No one that I know learned how to tutor from a class or from a book or from working at one of those tutoring centers.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:16 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
I really haven't done it on purpose. I don't know what it is with me and planners, sticky notes, emails, phone reminders, ugh. I have tried memory aids and got results to little avail. I guess it's silly if I tell you that I forgot to look at the planner the last time I used it, but that's what happened. I eventually misplaced the planner. I know. I'm terrible at this!
One year I had an exceptional, exceptional busy and complicated schedule at school, plus administration was really into documenting every interaction with every contact with all six of the classroom teachers and four specials teachers that my dozen special education students had during the week.

I used a system of two oversized notebooks & I carried them in an oversized case that I literally strung across my chest/body and carried with me at all times. So even if I ran into a fellow teacher on my way to the bathroom and they commented on the behavior of one of my students I could immediately write down what they said.

In later years, most of the special education teachers and aides wore special aprons (PECS aprons) with oversized pockets from the second that we set foot in the building until we left to go home. We carried calendars, notebooks, schedules, pens & pencils, latex gloves, tissues, everything right with us so we could be in the right place at the right time and document whatever we needed to document.

Perhaps one of those things may work for you.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:55 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:

The reason we can't step away from your disorder is because, for whatever reason, your disorder prevented you from actually learning how to be a teacher when you were in school and in student teaching. Most people with your degree and in your program graduated knowing HOW to do all these things like assess and design curriculum or at least lesson plans.

You are looking for a cheat sheet, a Cliffs Notes on "How to be a Teacher" and it doesn't exist.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:03 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Stop telling me I can't do X, Y, or Z; you really don't know what I can or can't do, and I feel like you are making a lot of incorrect assumptions, maybe based on my past threads.
You must realize that it's frustrating for people to reply to your posts when you appear to ignore the advice, yet you start another thread asking for the same information.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-tutoring.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/teach...l-private.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/teach...pros-cons.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching