Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:56 AM

432 posts, read 343,178 times

Advertisements

Had a French teacher who would arrange the poorer performing students to sit up closer to him in the classroom while the better performing students sat farther away from him.

To me, he just might as well have handed out dunce caps.

EdX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I can go you one just as bad or worse. I had a high school chemistry teacher who -- when handing back tests -- would start with the highest grades and read each name with the grade (e.g., Johnny Jones, 98%, Mary Wells, 97%, Bill Jacobs, 95%...etc."). Then when he got to 75%, which at my school was passing, he would pause for approximately a minute, and then read the next grade while staring at the student ("Bill Mathers 74%). Then when he got to the lowest grade, he would again pause for a full minute, stare at the last student, and read the lowest grade ("Millie Price, 48%). I remember him with such fondness, than even today -- a half century later -- I think of him as a worthless, old, fat fart.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:29 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
Had a French teacher who would arrange the poorer performing students to sit up closer to him in the classroom while the better performing students sat farther away from him.

EdX
But did it work?

Old 12-16-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
But did it work?
No, but it would have been good for playing musical chairs.

EdX

Last edited by education explorer; 12-16-2016 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 10:54 AM

154 posts, read 132,329 times
I went through the period when it was recommended that a student never experience failure, teachers were supposed to eliminate the 'F' grade, it appeared to be a reaction to this kind of practice of shaming the student who doesn't do well. Totally misguided, a student needs an accurate assessment of the learning, including not learning enough.

phetaroi, I had a physics teacher in HS who had taught my parents, he got his certificate and never kept up with the subject he was teaching, so much of what he was teaching as physics was hopelessly out of date and some of it was wrong. I was started too young and couldn't keep up, so even when I was held back to repeat 4th grade, it was too late, I had developed some bad habits and didn't do well.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:37 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:

EdX
There is research that suggests proximity to the teacher limits distractions and other things that might influence how well a student performs. Therefore it is in the students best interest, that those who are not performing well sit nearer the teachers.

What is worse? Trying something that has been proven to improve learning or ignoring it? The reality is everybody knows who the poor performers are anyway.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
There is research that suggests proximity to the teacher limits distractions and other things that might influence how well a student performs. Therefore it is in the students best interest, that those who are not performing well sit nearer the teachers.

What is worse? Trying something that has been proven to improve learning or ignoring it? The reality is everybody knows who the poor performers are anyway.
In terms of grades, what did the research show? Have the grades gone up by 10%?, 20%? What was the population size? What would be considered a significant increase as opposed to random fluctuation? Was representative sampling used? These are some of the questions that come up in a study.

As far as proximity goes, if the teacher is attractive and wearing a certain type of perfume or cologne, that can also be distracting to the student - did the study take that into account?

EdX

Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
In terms of grades, what did the research show? Have the grades gone up by 10%?, 20%?
There are multiple studies on this topic. Google scholar is your friend. Go read up.

Quote:
What was the population size? What would be considered a significant increase as opposed to random fluctuation? Was representative sampling used?
Statistical significance in field studies, is typical a p-value of 0.05 or less. This is standard.

Also, you mean random variation, not fluctuation. Those words mean different things. And how would representative sampling work in a school setting? You would need to assume there was a single homogeneous population of students. That would be a HUGE design error. Instead you would want a systematic sampling to account for other variables. This is why the fact that these findings have held up across multiple studies, in a variety of settings is meaningful. Again, go read up.

Quote:
These are some of the questions that come up in a study.
Thanks! I will sure to be incorporate those "tips" in to my research class. My twenty years of experience as a published scientist not withstanding.

Quote:
As far as proximity goes, if the teacher is attractive and wearing a certain type of perfume or cologne, that can also be distracting to the student - did the study take that into account?

Old 12-16-2016, 02:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
In terms of grades, what did the research show? Have the grades gone up by 10%?, 20%? What was the population size? What would be considered a significant increase as opposed to random fluctuation? Was representative sampling used? These are some of the questions that come up in a study.

EdX
The grades are a mere byproduct, the real concern should be whether or not it increased mastery or understanding. But, yes, situating students closer to where the teacher can intervene in clusters and/or in a location where being off task is more noticeable does assist, as does the now seldom used motivation to avoid shame. Grouping those that need asstance physically closer to one another can also assist by allowing the teacher to go over identical assistance less times. Probably the most helpful thing putting strugglers together does is when the teacher walks one student through a process the other students get to witness the steps and and can mimic them. It helps teach the kids "how to think".

However, do I personally agree with it? No, primarily because if it is done incorrectly, especially in a humiliating manner, it is just as likely to produce negative results.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:57 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
I assigned back-row seats to students who could see well enough to see the board, hear well enough not to miss anything, were attentive, and participated willingly in class. When those in the back participate, those in the middle and front are part of the group. If the most willing participants are in the front (as they might be if they chose the seats themselves), then those behind them are less likely to remain part of the group. They will be less attentive and participate less.

Yes, sometimes students who need closer watching end up in front - though the "closer watching" may or may not be due to attention or discipline. A student who sought his classmate's attention might end up in the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching