Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times

Advertisements

why learn shakespeare?

pick a modern book like harry potter and teach that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 07:22 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As An English and special education teacher, I have to point out that it's not with the realistic bounds of what's likely in the PLAAFP student for a student with literacy ability topping out at a third grade level to independently pass according to these exacting standards. It's the responsibilty of those writing the IEP to write clearly and realistically attainable goals.

In short, graduating with a regular diploma may not be a realistically attainable goal for a student who must, at 17-18, have work modified to an elementary school level.
I have to agree with this. While I think the student deserves a chance to get an education and a diploma, it isn't really a high school diploma if the student is working on a third grade level. That just doesn't make sense. Unfortunately, it happens all the time. I teach remedial classes in a college and see many students from our local (supposedly good) high schools who can't read or write on anything close to a high school level. Apparently if they stay long enough, they eventually graduate.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:40 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
One of my colleagues who teaches 12th-grade English was just given instructions on an IEP that the student would do best if he were given materials prepared on a third-grade level. My colleague's response was that he can't teach MacBeth on a third-grade level. The language and vocabulary of Shakespeare is challenging to most students, but even more opaque to students whose level of mastery of language and vocabulary is at least 50% behind. I did find some materials adapted for actual third-graders, but I was hoping someone here would know some resources for a 19-year-old who just wants to pass senior English so he can graduate in May with a regular diploma.
How? Does a diploma have any meaning? The school is representing to the world that a graduate with a diploma has an expected level of education when it clearly isn't. Who would be willing to sign their name on that diploma?

Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
The diploma does indicate that the young adult has stuck it out and purportedly achieved some standard. Young people who fail to graduate may or may not pursue their GED or a trade school, which around here don't necessarily require a GED. Employers are very reluctant to hire anyone without a diploma, so it has a real effect on how a young person can proceed in life. Of course, no one wants to deal with the situation because the interventions would be extremely expensive. Our state has instituted a third-grade reading gate to try to ensure that this sort of thing will be avoided, but those tests will likely be gamed just as much if the stakes are so high for the schools.

Everyone knows that oncologists who deal with pancreatic cancer patients are going to lose more patients under their care than say, urologists, but no one will admit that the problems of severe academic deficits exist that schools can only alleviate but not cure.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:49 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is similar to the no fear site already given.

It has MacBeth translated to modern english but with all or most of the plot still given.

Shakespeare's Plays as Modern Translations, Scene by Scene

The main advantage I see is it is not written as a play which many kids find confusing to read.
This looks very good too, but as with No Fear Shakespeare, the vocabulary is likely to be beyond the students' ability. I'm positive that they would not be able to work out cacophony or overwhelming. I appreciate the link, though, and I will pass it on as well to the senior teacher. He told me today that they will have to finish MacBeth after the holidays because they had to go so slowly.

Thanks for the link.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
This looks very good too, but as with No Fear Shakespeare, the vocabulary is likely to be beyond the students' ability. I'm positive that they would not be able to work out cacophony or overwhelming. I appreciate the link, though, and I will pass it on as well to the senior teacher. He told me today that they will have to finish MacBeth after the holidays because they had to go so slowly.

Thanks for the link.
For the vocabulary, you might try some of the strategies used with ESL or autistic students. Whenever my grandson came home with vocabulary that was difficult I found a picture on the internet that helped him understand it. Make posters with pictures that evoke the words.

Also, teach them in context - use them immediately and then use them again at the end of class and again the next day or the next week, etc.

Relate the words to the student's feelings. Try practicing the words out loud.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching