Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 01:04 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't live in a world where it's realistic for parents to fund college. I do think that young adults whose parents hold college funding over their head as a bargaining chip to exert control over courses of study are far better off declining parental assistance and funding their own education.
Happened to a friend of mine. Her father insisted she go into a "useful" field, so she chose something that interested her but wasn't particularly gifted at. She bounced around different fields after graduating with a very expensive degree in the sciences and then ended up doing something in the humanities. I got a degree from the same expensive school in the field that made sense to me, and I've had a steady career for 20 years. Nothing spectacular, but I did what I wanted and carved out my own highly unusual but successful career path. My parents were smart enough to keep their mouths shut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 04:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Oh, i know. I dated a guy (much later in life) whose very patriarchal, foreign culture-steeped, healthcare-employed parents would only fund his schooling if he majored in a pre-approved science-related discipline.

It's the potential tradeoff for having somebody else bankroll you. The only strings my education funding came with were having to pay back a federal loan for a fraction of it. No mandates on what I was permitted to study. Fine by me.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:15 PM

331 posts, read 369,425 times
You know, it's interesting. I teach in a private school because I could not find a public school job. My pay is horrendous (less than 30k), and I actually can't wait for the day I get to go back to a public school job. I have my fair share of discipline problems anyway. The lack of resources available in my building is astounding, sometimes even getting whiteboard markers from the office is a chore.

To each his own, I suppose.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:22 PM

My husband taught parochial school for years. The salary was so low, it was very nearly donated time. I taught private school as well. Mine was specialized programming for developmentally disabled students, and was better pay because it was a costly program. But it was still less than I'd have made in a public setting as an autism-specializing special ed teacher. The program, however, was like nothing found in public school. So, the tradeoff.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 PM

331 posts, read 369,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My husband taught parochial school for years. The salary was so low, it was very nearly donated time. I taught private school as well. Mine was specialized programming for developmentally disabled students, and was better pay because it was a costly program. But it was still less than I'd have made in a public setting as an autism-specializing special ed teacher. The program, however, was like nothing found in public school. So, the tradeoff.
Yes, Catholic high school is where I'm at. I enjoy my job, but cannot make a living and thus still live at home. It's embarrassing when I think about it, really.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Mine did it for seven or eight years while a Navy reservist and did better financially in Navy drills and ATs. Eventually, he just went active duty.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:55 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
When I was ready to start my teaching career there was a very short-lived glut of science teachers in my area, but a Catholic school wanted to hire me. I wouldn't have made much more than when I had worked my way through college bagging groceries and stocking shelves. Fortunately, a public school opening developed at just the right time.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:30 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,973,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Most teachers in CA, along with NY, DC, CT and NJ make in 100k range after about 20 years.
I'm not sure where you heard this, but it is just not true. I am a public school teacher in Connecticut with a Master's. I am in my eighteenth year and make less than $70k. The top of the salary scale in the city where I teacher for a teacher with a Master's is in the low 80k's.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I am not positive, but it is my understanding that if you go the private school route, it is very difficult to switch to public school teaching (they will not hire you, or they will not count your experience at a private school, so you have to start as a teacher with no experience). Is that so?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am not positive, but it is my understanding that if you go the private school route, it is very difficult to switch to public school teaching (they will not hire you, or they will not count your experience at a private school, so you have to start as a teacher with no experience). Is that so?
I don't know the answer to that question.

But where I was, we looked askance at people who had been teaching at private schools (with some exceptions based on the private school in question) because quite a few of the teachers that couldn't hack it in our system went to teach at private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching