Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:18 AM

152 posts, read 99,254 times

Advertisements

I am currently completing a postbac teaching certificate program which will lead to a full initial teaching license in Massachusetts. I moved back here after college out of necessity but now that I have more of a firm direction in life I am planning to relocate to Virginia. I have always loved it there and went to undergrad at Maryland so I have some familiarity with the area, not to mention there are more opportunities there. I am just concerned about finding a job as an out of state candidate; while I would love to attend the job fairs down there I am currently student teaching and cannot miss a day for any reason except illness. I already have plans in place to take Virginia's educator assessments. While I have a number of friends in the area none of them are in education. Any advice would help, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Here in Vermont the place to look for teaching jobs is Schoolspring. That seems to be the case in Virginia, too.

https://www.schoolspring.com/find/vi...n_virginia.cfm

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2017, 09:59 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
I am currently completing a postbac teaching certificate program which will lead to a full initial teaching license in Massachusetts. I moved back here after college out of necessity but now that I have more of a firm direction in life I am planning to relocate to Virginia. I have always loved it there and went to undergrad at Maryland so I have some familiarity with the area, not to mention there are more opportunities there. I am just concerned about finding a job as an out of state candidate; while I would love to attend the job fairs down there I am currently student teaching and cannot miss a day for any reason except illness. I already have plans in place to take Virginia's educator assessments. While I have a number of friends in the area none of them are in education. Any advice would help, thanks!
If you're really good, apply to Fairfax County Public Schools. Excellent benefits and a superb school system.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If you're really good, apply to Fairfax County Public Schools. Excellent benefits and a superb school system.
MassTerp94,

Towards which part of Virginia are you looking? If you are open to Northern VA, then as phetaroi mentioned, FCPS might be a good place to start. "Excellent benefits" is probably open to interpretation depending on where one is coming from. I understand you can't make any of the job fairs, but you can always complete the online application. https://www.fcps.edu/careers
You can also watch the Vacancy List. Specific openings aren't shown right now, but will be posted later this spring. They will list specific openings at schools. https://careers.fcps.edu/vl/vacancy.htm

Other districts have similar resources online:
https://www.pwcs.edu/departments/tra...opportunities/
https://www.lcps.org/page/1116

Old 02-12-2017, 12:17 PM

Yes, Northern VA is where I'm planning to work, I know I may have to live a little further out or get a roommate to afford the COL on a first year teacher's salary (I'd love to work a side job at Mount Vernon or something similar). I've heard good and bad things about Fairfax, the pay I hear is not as good as surrounding counties but beggars can't be choosers. The furthest I would go is Charlottesville, though I'd like to be closer to friends and a cousin in the DC area.

I take the VCLA in a couple weeks and Praxis in March, thankfully it looks like they send you your results in just a couple weeks (unlike MA's own test which takes nearly 2 months). Really hope this works out, I've always known I belonged in the DMV! (Boston/New England fan for life though, 5 rings baby!!!)

Old 02-12-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, Northern VA is where I'm planning to work, I know I may have to live a little further out or get a roommate to afford the COL on a first year teacher's salary (I'd love to work a side job at Mount Vernon or something similar). I've heard good and bad things about Fairfax, the pay I hear is not as good as surrounding counties but beggars can't be choosers. The furthest I would go is Charlottesville, though I'd like to be closer to friends and a cousin in the DC area.

I take the VCLA in a couple weeks and Praxis in March, thankfully it looks like they send you your results in just a couple weeks (unlike MA's own test which takes nearly 2 months). Really hope this works out, I've always known I belonged in the DMV! (Boston/New England fan for life though, 5 rings baby!!!)
It's not realistic to judge pay in FFX and compare it to other local districts. Over time the various districts, including Montgomery County in Maryland, jockey for highest salaries to attract teachers, so those comparisons are always changing.

If I may recommend one thing not to do -- don't consider Prince Georges County in Maryland...just across the river!

Old 02-12-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:

If I may recommend one thing not to do -- don't consider Prince Georges County in Maryland...just across the river!
LOL, I went to undergrad at U of Maryland so trust me, Prince Garbage is NOT on my list of places to work. I'd love to teach at my alma mater on the side as an adjunct or something though down the road.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 PM

609 posts, read 808,352 times
Quote:
(I'd love to work a side job at Mount Vernon or something similar)
I'd advise against getting a second job just yet. Focus on mastering your classroom management and getting to know the curriculum. The first year is a steep learning curve.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
LOL, I went to undergrad at U of Maryland so trust me, Prince Garbage is NOT on my list of places to work. I'd love to teach at my alma mater on the side as an adjunct or something though down the road.
Oh yes...now I see and understand the Terp. I went there for my post-Master's work.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
It's not realistic to judge pay in FFX and compare it to other local districts. Over time the various districts, including Montgomery County in Maryland, jockey for highest salaries to attract teachers, so those comparisons are always changing.

FFX has a plan to try and bring the scales back up to market average, but with the budget outlook I don't know if they are going to be able to implement it as planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching