Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:03 AM

168 posts, read 150,998 times

Advertisements

What has Common Core Done to the profession of teaching

I have been researching Common Core for a few years now since my kids are starting public school and I wanted to learn about it. What I have come to realize is not only how bad it is for the kids but also for the teachers. I have spoken with teachers to get the inside scoop and here are some conclusions I've come to. I'd liek teachers opinions on here thanks.

-a great deal of teachers autonomy in their classrooms has been taken away; the common core curricula prescribes for them exactly what and how to teach to a T with no deviation

-teachers are forced to teach to the parrc or sbac test

-teachers who speak out are harassed, ostracized and even risk losing their jobs

-there is immense pressure from administration and business offices to tout the greatness of CC

-teachers evaluations are tied to the CC aligned test and they believe it's unfair because they didn't pick the tests or curricula and don't think it's the best test or curricula in a lot of cases

- the CC standards and aligned curricula are developmentally inappropriate at the early grades

Am I on the right trail teachers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post

I have been researching Common Core for a few years now since my kids are starting public school and I wanted to learn about it. What I have come to realize is not only how bad it is for the kids but also for the teachers. I have spoken with teachers to get the inside scoop and here are some conclusions I've come to. I'd liek teachers opinions on here thanks.

-a great deal of teachers autonomy in their classrooms has been taken away; the common core curricula prescribes for them exactly what and how to teach to a T with no deviation

-teachers who speak out are harassed, ostracized and even risk losing their jobs

-there is immense pressure from administration and business offices to tout the greatness of CC

-teachers evaluations are tied to the CC aligned test and they believe it's unfair because they didn't pick the tests or curricula and don't think it's the best test or curricula in a lot of cases

- the CC standards and aligned curricula are developmentally inappropriate at the early grades

No, the common core is not what took away teacher autonomy in the classroom. That was the NCLB and the school boards. The common core does NOT tell anyone *how* to teach, only what to teach and every country that does well when we make comparisons has a common curriculum.

The point of the common core is that if you move from state to state, you should be able to keep up in your new school.

Yes, teachers are teaching to the tests, but they were doing that before the common core anyway, just different tests.

If the administrators are touting the greatness of the common core, I have not seen it. The evaluations are a different story though and are often tied to things that teachers have no control over. That is not part of the common core though as far as I know.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:59 PM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
It should also be mentioned that Common Core has not been forced on states by the federal government. States are free to be a part of it (and that means in planning it and participating in it) and free to ignore it.

About 41% of people move from their birth state to another state. It would be very nice if they could later compete for jobs on a somewhat level playing field

Old 03-02-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:

What profession is it that has no standards for its practitioners?

Do you really want teachers to teach anything they want? For principals to order teachers to teach anything they want? Do you want teachers teaching anything in sex education that they think is appropriate? Do you want a biology teacher to leave out units that don't interest him? That is what standards prevent.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It should also be mentioned that Common Core has not been forced on states by the federal government. States are free to be a part of it (and that means in planning it and participating in it) and free to ignore it.

About 41% of people move from their birth state to another state. It would be very nice if they could later compete for jobs on a somewhat level playing field
Well actually the 4.3 billion race to the top educational grant program was a way to force states to do common core without "officially" forcing them.

Carrot and stick.

I don't see the logic in having national standards. I don't see any vale in the whole "it would be nice to have the same standards everywhere so people can move around" argument.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
What profession is it that has no standards for its practitioners?

Do you really want teachers to teach anything they want? For principals to order teachers to teach anything they want? Do you want teachers teaching anything in sex education that they think is appropriate? Do you want a biology teacher to leave out units that don't interest him? That is what standards prevent.
Who said there should be no standards? Maybe it's the CC is not the best set of standards and there are better standards like the onesd used in MA before Common Core. When those standards were in place it was called the Massachusetts miracle and their students were competitve with students from other top nations.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:36 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
OP, I hope you are very seriously considering homeschooling your kids.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Well actually the 4.3 billion race to the top educational grant program was a way to force states to do common core without "officially" forcing them.

Carrot and stick.

I don't see the logic in having national standards. I don't see any vale in the whole "it would be nice to have the same standards everywhere so people can move around" argument.
That's not forcing anyone to do anything, as is evidenced by the fact that Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Alaska, Nebraska, Indiana, and South Carolina are not in Common Core.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Who said there should be no standards? Maybe it's the CC is not the best set of standards and there are better standards like the onesd used in MA before Common Core. When those standards were in place it was called the Massachusetts miracle and their students were competitve with students from other top nations.
That's not what you said. You said Common Core had taken away teacher independence.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
That's not forcing anyone to do anything, as is evidenced by the fact that Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Alaska, Nebraska, Indiana, and South Carolina are not in Common Core.
You're correct; it's not technically forcing them too but it's making it very attractive to when they are going to get tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in education funding. That is the reason that most states adopted it. The money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching