Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 03:36 PM

314 posts, read 554,958 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else here experience a scripted curriculum in the K-12 environment? If so, how have you maintained your sanity? I am working in a district that has adopted English 3D for Secondary ESL Ed. The biggest pro is that everything is laid out for me, which tremendously reduces my time spent on lesson planning. But holy crap, it's a chore getting middle schoolers through the redundant lessons. I could probably sneak in some deviation from the script and teach my own thing at times. But, I am not motivated to do so. Plus, I am the type of person who prefers to follow what I am supposed to do. And with this program, I am frequently monitored by my department head and publishing company representative to ensure the routined are followed through. I know at times the students are extremely bored, which often turns the classroom focus to me having to control disruptions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 04:52 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
follow what I am supposed to do.

That's exactly what they want you to do. Not to teach.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:34 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Thankfully, I have never had to do that or anything close to what you describe.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:33 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
I've been in many situations where there is a scripted curriculum. I have never followed it. I might use some of the lessons from a scripted curriculum if they are good, but I'm very motivated to create my own material.

The biggest problem with a scripted curriculum is that all the lessons look similar, there is no variety. You and the kids easily get bored and unmotivated. Every scripted curriculum I've seen assumes that the kids are motivated to do the work and the lessons are laid out accordingly, with asinine discussion questions. I have never been able to follow a scripted curriculum and have always created lessons I find more engaging. I believe I would lose my mind and my passion for teaching if I actually followed a scripted curriculum.

Some people are fearful of what the principal will say or do. I just let results speak for themselves. If they don't like it, they can let me go. I did follow the curriculum on days when the publishing company came in to observe. Luckily, they no longer do that.

My recommendation is to start throwing in some engaging lessons, activities, and projects on a regular basis. Maybe shoot for mixing it up every Friday with something more engaging. You and the kids will appreciate it.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:24 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Thankfully, I have never had to do that or anything close to what you describe.
Me either. It sounds like a soul crushing experience.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I've been in many situations where there is a scripted curriculum. I have never followed it. I might use some of the lessons from a scripted curriculum if they are good, but I'm very motivated to create my own material.

The biggest problem with a scripted curriculum is that all the lessons look similar, there is no variety. You and the kids easily get bored and unmotivated. Every scripted curriculum I've seen assumes that the kids are motivated to do the work and the lessons are laid out accordingly, with asinine discussion questions. I have never been able to follow a scripted curriculum and have always created lessons I find more engaging. I believe I would lose my mind and my passion for teaching if I actually followed a scripted curriculum.

Some people are fearful of what the principal will say or do. I just let results speak for themselves. If they don't like it, they can let me go. I did follow the curriculum on days when the publishing company came in to observe. Luckily, they no longer do that.

My recommendation is to start throwing in some engaging lessons, activities, and projects on a regular basis. Maybe shoot for mixing it up every Friday with something more engaging. You and the kids will appreciate it.
I've luckily never had to follow any sort of scripted curriculum. Actually, my experience has been the opposite. No curriculum, and we only had standards for about half my public school teaching career.

Good ideas in TX Runner's post. I cannot imagine being so routinized. Sucks the joy out of teaching (and learning).

Old 01-22-2020, 05:15 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I've luckily never had to follow any sort of scripted curriculum. Actually, my experience has been the opposite. No curriculum, and we only had standards for about half my public school teaching career.

Good ideas in TX Runner's post. I cannot imagine being so routinized. Sucks the joy out of teaching (and learning).
Same. We got real standards for the first ever time this year.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:15 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
Yes, but in a special education setting for reading (Edmark). It's mind-numbing as a teacher, but it worked for several of my kids who really struggled with reading, and they enjoyed it because it starts at an incredibly easy level to build confidence. When some of them went up multiple reading levels in a single year because of it, it made the torturous experience of teaching with it worth it.

I could not imagine teaching from a scripted curriculum in a full, gen-ed classroom though.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:50 PM

314 posts, read 554,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post

Well, we are constantly being told students need more and more routine to better reinforce the skills they are taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching