Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 02:55 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times

Advertisements

I used to teach both community college and for profit college. 20 years ago, with a toddler, and pregnant with my 2nd child, I realized I was not willing to sit in the medicare office ever again, and needed benefits. I went to the local alternative certification entity, but was unable to use the time or have the money. Long story short, I ended up in insurance.
In life's whirlwind of raising kids, etc, I just kind of kept plowing through each day. Now that kids are older and not as needy, I am noticing that I have been miserable for the last 15 years. I hate corporate life, insurance, and the whole thing. I have so much anger and bitterness every day that it just cannot be healthy.
I loved teaching.
I know many teachers, and they always tell me "yes, but you didn't have to deal with the parents". Point taken. But I also coach (kids/teens), and do deal with parents there.
I know that teaching will be hard. Every minute. Every day. But you do get those moments of reward, and those sweet students.
Please tell it like it is- why should I or shouldn't I teach?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 06:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
I retired several years ago after teaching HS science for 22 years. More than 3000 teens passed through my classroom in that time. It never felt like a high stress job, as it's sometimes reported to be, but it's definitely high energy. A bell rings and for 60-90 minutes, you're "on" in front of an critical audience.

Me? I enjoyed it many more days than not. I miss interacting with kids and colleagues. In all those years, I only had 3 instances of confrontations with parents. By far, the vast majority of parents want the same thing for their kids that teachers want from their students.

The principal at my last school contacted me several times, asking me to consider coming back, but I never gave it a second thought.

In Texas, the state govt has done their damnedest to ruin the teaching profession and I want no part of the adminstrivia and political claptrap they've injected into it.

Maybe that'll change going forward.

Just one old man's opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

America's schools are in need of passionate, committed teachers. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:38 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I retired several years ago after teaching HS science for 22 years. More than 3000 teens passed through my classroom in that time. It never felt like a high stress job, as it's sometimes reported to be, but it's definitely high energy. A bell rings and for 60-90 minutes, you're "on" in front of an critical audience.

Me? I enjoyed it many more days than not. I miss interacting with kids and colleagues. In all those years, I only had 3 instances of confrontations with parents. By far, the vast majority of parents want the same thing for their kids that teachers want from their students.

The principal at my last school contacted me several times, asking me to consider coming back, but I never gave it a second thought.

In Texas, the state govt has done their damnedest to ruin the teaching profession and I want no part of the adminstrivia and political claptrap they've injected into it.

Maybe that'll change going forward.

Just one old man's opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

America's schools are in need of passionate, committed teachers. Good luck.
THANK YOU. This is fantastic. As you see, I too am in Texas. The plan is not to stay here though. Maybe a couple of years here to complete the certification and get a little more experience, then we will move elsewhere. Someone else told me her husband was a corporate attorney and started his teaching career about the same age I am and still tells her every day he wished he had done that much sooner. I kind of wonder if some of those who complain have simply never worked corporate so they don't truly know how bad life can be ?

Old 02-07-2020, 09:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
THANK YOU. This is fantastic. As you see, I too am in Texas. The plan is not to stay here though. Maybe a couple of years here to complete the certification and get a little more experience, then we will move elsewhere. Someone else told me her husband was a corporate attorney and started his teaching career about the same age I am and still tells her every day he wished he had done that much sooner. I kind of wonder if some of those who complain have simply never worked corporate so they don't truly know how bad life can be ?

I worked in the corporate world for two decades before teaching.

Changing careers was the right choice, even though it meant a big drop in my income.

But, as I mentioned, the morons in charge here in TX made each year worse than the one preceding it, in a number of ways. So, when I left, I was ready to leave it behind.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 2,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
If you are going the alternative certification route and plan on moving out of state at some point, investigate the state you are looking to move to. Actually call the department of education/office of public instruction and talk to someone who works in licensing. I went the alternative route in Texas and moved to a state that required student teaching and a certain number of credit hours. I was one credit short and they would not give credit for my 10+ years of teaching experience. I ended up going through that state's alternative certification program, which was amazingly about the same process I went through in Texas. Just some food for thought.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:50 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I have only taught at the college level which I really enjoy. I finished my second graduate degree at 39 and then started a new career. Never too late.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:00 PM

20 posts, read 8,770 times
OP. After you get a couple of years of experience, consider the Department of Defense Education Activity. See the world and get paid doing it.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:36 AM

267 posts, read 303,674 times
I have taught high school both here in US (SF Bay Area) and overseas (in Kuwait and China). It is definitely worth it and an adventure. Overseas in China and the Middle East - you can make good money - tax free in the middle east. In USA I like the fact that I can contribute towards my retirement - will retire this year at 61.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching