Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 09:55 AM

7,925 posts, read 12,629,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
I'll be honest. I am getting so spoiled by teaching middle school from home these past couple of weeks, to where sometimes I feel it is going to hard to return to the normal routine, once this is all over. So I am wondering if after this pandemic is over, whether we will see a rise in virtual K-12 schools across the country. While I don't see online learning completely replacing traditional school learning, it would be nice if a permanent position in online instruction became a viable career option. What do you think?

I enjoy teaching, but just the everyday grind of being in the physical classroom drains me.
I've worked online teaching jobs before like VIPKids, but those are all freelance positions from $15 - $25 an hour. But if I could realistically teach online and earn a stable, livable teacher's salary, I would have my dream job.
The problem for teachers is their role would become at best tutoring. If online teaching becomes normal there would only be need for one standard course of instruction taught by one recorded instructor. (ala the KHAN academy) Kids may or may not need tutoring so the need for teachers would be greatly reduced or even eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 02:11 PM

45,022 posts, read 60,017,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Georgia has 786,893 elementary students. What if a teacher asks "any questions?" and 5000 kids raise their hands? (or click 'help' on the screen)
That's no problem. You have to remember that these proposals are being floated either by education theorists (university professors who've never spent a day in a public school classroom teaching), think tanks and foundations whose sole purpose is to monetize education, or that guy over there leaning against a tree with a 40 in a paper bag and who just pissed himself. He's an expert because he went to school.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's no problem. You have to remember that these proposals are being floated either by education theorists (university professors who've never spent a day in a public school classroom teaching), think tanks and foundations whose sole purpose is to monetize education, or that guy over there leaning against a tree with a 40 in a paper bag and who just pissed himself. He's an expert because he went to school.
Let me guess; you are a teacher that thinks packing 30 students into a classroom is the way to go? You are grinding it out just trying to get through the day in order to get a pension when it's all over? You are against innovation because it would disrupt your plans.

You spend half your time trying to maintain order in the classroom. You go home at night and "lean against a tree with a 40 in a paper bag and pissed yourself". You are an expert because you teach the same way they did in 1900.

Online is the way forward. Many teachers will lose their jobs just as others have due to technological advances. It is very inefficient to bus children to central learning centers having teachers regurgitating lesson plans year after year to 30 children at a time.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:16 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,066,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Let me guess; you are a teacher that thinks packing 30 students into a classroom is the way to go? You are grinding it out just trying to get through the day in order to get a pension when it's all over? You are against innovation because it would disrupt your plans.

You spend half your time trying to maintain order in the classroom. You go home at night and "lean against a tree with a 40 in a paper bag and pissed yourself". You are an expert because you teach the same way they did in 1900.

Online is the way forward. Many teachers will lose their jobs just as others have due to technological advances. It is very inefficient to bus children to central learning centers having teachers regurgitating lesson plans year after year to 30 children at a time.
I'll believe it when I see it bud.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:19 PM

45,022 posts, read 60,017,539 times
Quote:

You spend half your time trying to maintain order in the classroom. You go home at night and "lean against a tree with a 40 in a paper bag and **** yourself". You are an expert because you teach the same way they did in 1900.

No, I'm already retired. The guy pissing himself would be you. You know, you went to school so you know how to teach and all. How hard can it be? Try it when things get back to normal, substitute in your local school.

Online may be the way forward but you'll lose 95% of the kids. That's not counting Special Ed.

Kids are great on computers if they're playing games, not so much if they're doing work.

There's a world of difference between a motivated adult doing online than there is an adolescent. Time after time the most focused and self-disciplined teenager will do ok online-but they'll do well no matter what. Unfortunately that's less than 10% of the kids.

Go to online school and the kids that almost but don't quite fall through the cracks today will never be seen again. We have enough societal problems now, what will happen then? Their parents are going to make them study? More like they'll pawn the computer. And still line up for free lunches. Just like is happening now.

Just so you know, in addition to traditional classroom I was also certified, and taught, as an online instructor (was because I let my certifications lapse when I retired. Actually, my school system requests that all retiree's certificates be suspended so they won't go to another school system).

Old 04-19-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, I'm already retired. The guy pissing himself would be you.

You brought it up so I figured you had experienced it at some point.

You know, you went to school so you know how to teach and all. How hard can it be? Try it when things get back to normal, substitute in your local school. How hard can it be? If you try to use teaching as if it is 1900 in a classroom then yes it probably is difficult.

Online may be the way forward but you'll lose 95% of the kids. That's not counting Special Ed.

What do you hope to achieve "teaching" Special ed students particularly when you attempt to "mainstream" them in normal classes? You only hold back all the other students.

Kids are great on computers if they're playing games, not so much if they're doing work.

There's a world of difference between a motivated adult doing online than there is an adolescent. Time after time the most focused and self-disciplined teenager will do ok online-but they'll do well no matter what. Unfortunately that's less than 10% of the kids.

Go to online school and the kids that almost but don't quite fall through the cracks today will never be seen again. We have enough societal problems now, what will happen then? Their parents are going to make them study? More like they'll pawn the computer. And still line up for free lunches. Just like is happening now.

Just so you know, in addition to traditional classroom I was also certified, and taught, as an online instructor (was because I let my certifications lapse when I retired. Actually, my school system requests that all retiree's certificates be suspended so they won't go to another school system).
Students will adjust. They do not need to be in a central learning center. All teachers are in the end are glorified babysitters.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I'll believe it when I see it bud.
It will take time Bud.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Students will adjust. They do not need to be in a central learning center. All teachers are in the end are glorified babysitters.
I'm sorry you didn't have a good time in school.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
It will take time Bud.
Sure

Old 04-19-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I'm sorry you didn't have a good time in school.
Not about "good times". It is about efficient learning. My problem was sitting in a classroom with idiots that asked too many questions. Boring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching