Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 06:45 PM

834 posts, read 743,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Can't rep you again! I would have been down to that Principal's office if I were you.
I haven't complained yet. It's a charter school and we're unhappy with a lot of things, but it's the only school with a k-8 gifted focus in our city. I feel stuck.

I'll probably write an anonymous letter and send it in for the next board meeting, since they have no choice but to read it aloud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 06:49 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,865,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
She's only a few years out of college and very.... passionate. Many days she posts books that are pushing an agenda. We just ignore them typically. Lots of, "Black Girl Magic," and, "I love my black hair," to a class that doesn't have any black people. She spent a whole morning mourning Ruth B. Ginsburg.
That explains a lot! Her liberal indoctrination is still very fresh, and she's eager to push it on the kids. Anyway, if a teacher is "worried" about conservative parents, then those parents are doing something right.

Teachers need to fear the parents, not other other way around, as is the case in many communist countries.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:06 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,143,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Definitely. That story sounds exactly like what I'd now suspect. It seems so manipulative and wrong.
It is. What is scary to me is that this happens so much every day with every school.

When my son left for college we cleaned out a lot of old elementary papers. My son noticed how there was an obvious pattern of pushing leftist ideologies in his old assignments as far back as first grade.

I remember how his school had "culture boxes". They were these large, 6 foot tall heavy wooden display cases that lined the lobby of the school and had maps and history and artifacts. Every racial background was represented except for white. His class spent weeks studying and talking about these boxes. I have no issue with my kids learning about different cultures and their own family backgrounds but it's a problem when white kids are excluded and made to feel they are inferior because of their "white privilege".

During the holidays they'd spend a lot of time talking about Kwanza but the term "Christmas" was not allowed. Only "holiday" or "winter".

This was years ago too. I can only imagine how much this type of indoctrination has escalated.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
During the holidays they'd spend a lot of time talking about Kwanza but the term "Christmas" was not allowed. Only "holiday" or "winter".

This was years ago too. I can only imagine how much this type of indoctrination has escalated.
Whoa! That's not only weird, but creepy too. My own elementary school (K thru 8, actually) taught a lot about Christmas. Each December, we always studied the history of Christmas, although the emphasis was on how it was celebrated in the past, rather than on Jesus's birth. I really liked learning how Santa Claus was a modeled after generous gift-giving saint named St. Nicholas. We even analyzed Christmas songs to learn about simple music theory, like the major key ("Jingle Bells") vs. the minor key ("Silent Night"). And we had the annual Christmas party in the classroom, or homeroom in upper grades, where all everyone, including the teacher, brought cookies or candy to share. Jewish and other non-Christian students enjoyed it anyway. Because if you overlook the word "Christmas", it's basically a day when you eat sweet foods and neglect schoolwork. Sadly, such a thing is impossible in schools today, for not being "inclusive enough".

In high school, it depended on the teacher/class. Each teacher had a lot of leeway in how to acknowledge Christmas. Some teachers treated the students to candy or cookies. Some played a Christmas movie, like "It's a Wonderful Life". Others had a class like on any other day. Jesus's birth was discussed in the World History class, but still wasn't the central focus.

My elementary school had a large number of Hispanic students, who do celebrate Christmas. Perhaps that helped. My high school did not.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 12-06-2020 at 09:40 PM..

Old 11-04-2021, 09:30 PM

102,173 posts, read 107,699,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Yesterday there was a short segment showing Biden stating that he thinks schools should teach more about the muslim "religion". But our kids can't pray in school?

Parents should pay very close attention to how kids today are being taught to hate our country and Americans resulting in the rioting, looting, and destruction of our cities. Pay very close attention to what they indoctrinating your children with.
Much of the rioting and looting was done by White Supremacist groups and their associates, according to the FBI. Local police in Minneapolis said, a man tied to a Supremacist group disguising himself as an adherent of "Antifa" provoked the rioting in their city in 2020. White Supremacist groups have long been acknowledged by the FBI as the main source of domestic terrorism in the US.

Who's teaching the kids who grow up to join those groups and instigate violence against our country? Where is their ideology coming from? It's not coming from the schools.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:35 PM

102,173 posts, read 107,699,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Kids can pray in school. In fact the supreme court has upheld that kids can pray on numerous occasions. Teachers can't lead prayers or require students to pray in school. This is an important distinction that is often overlooked.

Edit: also teaching ABOUT a religion is not the same as proselytizing.
Exactly. Biden did not say, that kids should be taught to practice Islam in the schools, or to observe Islamic prayers. He was referring to World Religion courses, that introduce students to the religions of the world. Some schools have offered such a course for at least a couple of generations. Others cover the material in a cursory manner in the World Geography course, which is required in some states.

Old 11-05-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Much of the rioting and looting was done by White Supremacist groups and their associates, according to the FBI. Local police in Minneapolis said, a man tied to a Supremacist group disguising himself as an adherent of "Antifa" provoked the rioting in their city in 2020. White Supremacist groups have long been acknowledged by the FBI as the main source of domestic terrorism in the US.
That's not true. If those were white supremacist groups doing the looting, there's no way in hell Cacala Harris and other Democrats would be paying their legal bills and telling the police to let the looting happen, if not going as far as arranging for piles of bricks and U-Haul trucks to be brought to downtown areas. It was Antifa and its ilk who did the damage, just to throw one man (but who?) under the bus. I'm sure a few white supremacists posed as Antifa (why, though?), but as bad as they are in other ways, there were far from the main looters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. Biden did not say, that kids should be taught to practice Islam in the schools, or to observe Islamic prayers. He was referring to World Religion courses, that introduce students to the religions of the world. Some schools have offered such a course for at least a couple of generations. Others cover the material in a cursory manner in the World Geography course, which is required in some states.
My high school did just that by teaching a World Cultures class. Religion was touched on, like Eastern Orthodox for parts of Europe, or Islam for the Middle East, but not the focus. It was a good class. The teacher was a brilliant man. He allowed students from the cultures being taught to give short presentations, in addition to what the textbook taught. Occasionally, those two diverged. And on tests, he gave a choice to answer either from the textbook or what he knew was true for the student's home culture (he probably kept notes), such as what was Russia's role in World War II.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 11-05-2021 at 05:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching