Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 06:43 AM

17,478 posts, read 17,325,651 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelp...irtual-classes

Seems he was worried conservative parents would see and hear what he had to say when online classes begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 10:49 AM

4,262 posts, read 1,604,457 times
I didn't read the story, but this is silly. Just about every kid has a phone that can record these days. If a parent was really that concerned, they would just have their kid record what is going on in the classroom. I think the teacher (without reading the article, mind you) is overreacting.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:09 PM

44,954 posts, read 59,942,524 times
One thread in that cesspool of Politics and Other Controversies wasn't enough?

Old 08-11-2020, 02:42 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,064,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I didn't read the story, but this is silly. Just about every kid has a phone that can record these days. If a parent was really that concerned, they would just have their kid record what is going on in the classroom. I think the teacher (without reading the article, mind you) is overreacting.
You are assuming the student and parents are on the same page.

I'm not concerned about conservative parents per-se but as a civics teacher I am concerned that students may not feel comfortable asking certain questions or expressing their views if their parents are around. That goes just as much for conservative students in liberal households as the reverse.

I'm not worried that I would say anything any but the most insane parent would find offensive.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:43 PM

17,478 posts, read 17,325,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
You are assuming the student and parents are on the same page.

I'm not concerned about conservative parents per-se but as a civics teacher I am concerned that students may not feel comfortable asking certain questions or expressing their views if their parents are around. That goes just as much for conservative students in liberal households as the reverse.

I'm not worried that I would say anything any but the most insane parent would find offensive.
However this educator is an English teacher so such discussions should not be part of his lessons.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
However this educator is an English teacher so such discussions should not be part of his lessons.
Really? Because I would think that depends on what you are reading. Many classics contain controversial and political themes. Also it isn't uncommon for students to be asked to come up with topics for research papers that are tied to current events.

I don't know this teacher and I do not wish to speak on their behalf but I also refuse to get triggered because somebody had an opinion on Twitter.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:05 AM

19,502 posts, read 17,746,258 times
I'm guessing most of you didn't read what the teacher wrote. It's a clear example of bias and stereotyping. But you know the teacher is a black man and of course a teacher so it's all good.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:14 AM

44,954 posts, read 59,942,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm guessing most of you didn't read what the teacher wrote. It's a clear example of bias and stereotyping. But you know the teacher is a black man and of course a teacher so it's all good.
I figured he was a gay/bi White man trying to become an administrator at the central office.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:28 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,483,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
There's reason why it's the teacher and students in a physical classroom. If there's a visitor, he or she is asked to sit in the back of the class while the lesson is being conducted.

Helicopter parents bully teachers during online classes

link

Old 08-12-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I read it and I am not seeing what you are seeing. Can you explain to me how you see this as evidence of stereotyping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching