Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 11:51 PM

412 posts, read 275,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
To avoid having your teaching certificate suspended, you take a personal leave of absence and go start teaching in another state. At the end of the year, you resign.

I know two teachers who have done exactly that, this year.

I've subbed for both of them.

It's so weird that you said that. I'm subbing for a teacher now that had to step up as the department head who left one day notice that due to personal problems, she's going on leave until next year.

It's special education in a job I quit after the end of last year, but they knew I had experience with this last year so offered me too much money to turn down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 03:47 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,644,982 times
The article mentions mitigating factors.

I think they are trying to end what happens in my area. Teachers just quit showing up. No notice. No resignation. They just disappear.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:14 AM

837 posts, read 505,873 times
A friend of mine just quit teaching in Texas. She's literally one of the smartest people I know. She has a dual J.D./M.Ed from Boston College, Brown undergrad, and an MFA. She worked corporate law for 10 years before changing careers. The insane pressures and constant harassment by incompetent admins pushed her over the edge. It's a sad day for Texas to lose somebody with her talents, but this is what the state gets for years in idiocy.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:12 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,854,815 times
As a person that had 39 years in the educational system in TX, I can agree with there being some penalty for just walking out of a position. It is very hard to find a qualified person just to "step in" in mid-year. Granted, there were instances of pregnancies and serious illness that needed to be addressed; however, just getting fed up and THEN expecting to go to another district the following year is unprofessional. There were many times I wanted to go to my principal and say "either that kid is out of my class or I am out of here!". However, the adult in me managed to stay calm and get to the end of the year and I still had my job and my self respect . Neve mind the incompetent administration willingness to ignore a chronic behavioral problem child. Thank God, those administrators were few .

Old 04-04-2022, 09:24 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
In the school system where I was principal it was even more difficult on schools. After a certain date in the school year, if a teacher quit, we weren't allowed to hire a new-hire, but had to get along with subs for the rest of the school year. I don't remember now when that date was, but it was early...like perhaps February.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:13 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The article mentions mitigating factors.

I think they are trying to end what happens in my area. Teachers just quit showing up. No notice. No resignation. They just disappear.
This happens a lot in Hawaii, especially right after holidays. Winter Break ends and on the first day back, kids are standing outside the door. The teacher never makes contact again.

Usually, it is someone who was recruited from the mainland.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:39 PM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
This happens a lot in Hawaii, especially right after holidays. Winter Break ends and on the first day back, kids are standing outside the door. The teacher never makes contact again.

Usually, it is someone who was recruited from the mainland.
Makes sense. It's usually after breaks that people realize they can't take it anymore. A possible solution is for admin to meet with the teacher and come up with a exit plan. Something like stay on board until we are able to get a replacement. If we can't find a replacement within 1 month, then we will accept a 2 weeks notice. This way the district has time to try and locate another teacher or make plans for the long term.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:34 PM

472 posts, read 347,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Makes sense. It's usually after breaks that people realize they can't take it anymore. A possible solution is for admin to meet with the teacher and come up with a exit plan. Something like stay on board until we are able to get a replacement. If we can't find a replacement within 1 month, then we will accept a 2 weeks notice. This way the district has time to try and locate another teacher or make plans for the long term.
Yes^, this. I agree

Old 04-07-2022, 12:02 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Once they've flown to the mainland and spent the holidays with their family/friends, they don't want to come back again just to quit (and pay for another round-trip ticket). Hence, they simply don't return.
Cars are abandoned in airport parking garages. Clothes abandoned in rental apts.

Also by not quitting mid-year, they can more easily find new jobs on the mainland.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:51 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
If someone quits mid-year, I doubt they are returning to the teaching profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching