Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 07:28 AM

472 posts, read 347,676 times

Advertisements

Just curious, after this crazy year, are you all staying or doing something else? I really enjoy teaching and want to stay, but I haven't completely made up my mind yet. I hope next year is better and much less "craziness". We will always deal with craziness but I'm hoping next year is smoother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 08:41 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Mrs. NBP is retiring this summer. This was her 40th year total between two states and private and public. I officially retired in 2015 although I burned up almost an entire year of sick leave 2014-2015. Still had a year of sick leave left even so.

Funny thing, when I quit teaching as a job I also dropped my volunteer gig with MDDNR as a Hunting Safety and Firearms Safety Instructor. I do have to say that there were programmatic reasons for that.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:11 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Next year will be my 30th year. That will qualify me for unreduced state retirement, but I’ll be a few years short of full county retirement. If I can stop after 30 with full state and reduced county I probably will. I’d still work, just not doing full time teaching.

This year hasn’t been too crazy, but student behaviors and expectations of the job are taking their toll.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:56 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Mrs. NBP is retiring this summer. This was her 40th year total between two states and private and public. I officially retired in 2015 although I burned up almost an entire year of sick leave 2014-2015. Still had a year of sick leave left even so.

Funny thing, when I quit teaching as a job I also dropped my volunteer gig with MDDNR as a Hunting Safety and Firearms Safety Instructor. I do have to say that there were programmatic reasons for that.
My son is finishing his 15th year with 16 to go before full retirement (rule of 88 state). The last few years he's had more issues with administration throwing unrealistic and useless demands at the teachers than any problem he's had with the kids. It never used to be that way.

It wasn't long ago he had no thoughts of leaving the profession. Not so anymore.

10 years ago there was a lot of competition for being hired in good, safe school systems. Now even these school systems are some times struggling to find good teachers. Some of the shine has wore off this profession.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
My son is finishing his 15th year with 16 to go before full retirement (rule of 88 state). The last few years he's had more issues with administration throwing unrealistic and useless demands at the teachers than any problem he's had with the kids. It never used to be that way.

It wasn't long ago he had no thoughts of leaving the profession. Not so anymore.

10 years ago there was a lot of competition for being hired in good, safe school systems. Now even these school systems are some times struggling to find good teachers. Some of the shine has wore off this profession.
When systems in Western Pennsylvania within 25 miles of a college known for teaching training start advertising for Social Studies and English teachers you know there's a problem.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:10 PM

A new study:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/care...b5d01dae4a7045

Old 04-26-2022, 06:36 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Enjoyed that article!

Can only give the third party perspective as my son and d.i.l are both in this career. One in special education for grades 5-6. One in English for grades 7- and 8.

In gleening over their current school districts both have the new challenge of being squeezed between a rock and a wall. Not from their unions though.
Mostly the ' states' education and recent ' scores'. Totally skewed and not in line with the actual impact that two years of online or partial in class study has imposed. The parents are probably the mix bag of : we decide what Johnny can learn and not learn. While teachers welcome parental support and even good suggestions to aide in curriculum. Parents Deciding that ' English composition ' just isn't necessary...little Johnny will be declining that class. And the kicker is.... The school district is saying... Ohh. Okay.
How are scores to improve if the teacher in that field suddenly cannot teach the very task that improves the students ability????
My son and d.i.l both have expressed ' concerns'. Though neither is a quitter. They both find ways to juggle the states demand in opposition to the parents coddling. Sometimes I think the one voice that is being talked over and around is the very person in the trenches - the teacher. The state education system and the parents are somewhat out of touch in realistic expectations.

Never in my lifetime did I see such praise go out to teachers two years ago... because suddenly the parent had to be hands on at the home school level. Gosh now its..the parent is the expert and bashes the teachers skills....

(The rock and the wall. )

Anyways... That's my outside skim the surface perception and a smidge of understanding for why some teachers are tossing in the towel. Wished they stayed...cuz I hear their voice and value their years of skills and the positive impact they can have on students educational expansion.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:07 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
I am a career changer and I'm SO glad I made the move. I am definitely staying.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:01 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

How were you able to do that?

I have 1,240 hours of leave saved up. I did use my 5 personal days this year and I need to take a couple of sick days in the beginning of June. It's a hassle to prepare for a substitute.

Old 04-27-2022, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How were you able to do that?

I have 1,240 hours of leave saved up. I did use my 5 personal days this year and I need to take a couple of sick days in the beginning of June. It's a hassle to prepare for a substitute.
It took some doctor visits and a bunch of paperwork. After the first couple weeks (actually a month) a permanent sub was assigned.

We had one guy who did it every year for four or five years, he didn't have enough leave accumulated so he'd draw from the sick leave bank after a couple weeks (it's more involved than that but you get the drift).

And you accumulated those 1200 hours exactly because it's such a pain in the ass to take them, the same way I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching