U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 14,842 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the inside knowledge, it is difficult to get that so far away. There is a lot to think about and consider, I plan on going after the 2008-9 school year, so I will have to check then to see the situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 AM

191 posts, read 578,889 times
Default You will love Arizona!

Optimistic2,
You should consider Arizona for your move. Teachers are in short supply, especially sped teachers. The housing prices are at an incredible low. Many homes are located in lake communities (man made, of course). The lifestyle is active with easy access to prosports, concerts, parks, golf, hiking etc... The weather is wonderful 9 months of the year, and quite hot for 3 months. I've worked with many folks moving here from out of state and their only regret is that they did not move here sooner. Many folks have moved to AZ from California due to the huge cost of living and housing differential. It is just too expensive in CA to live.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:02 AM

13,032 posts, read 31,000,610 times
My Sister in law worked as a sped teacher in Arizona and she had a very bad experience. After years of pulling kids out of classrooms to teach them in a small group setting they changed it to giving her her own area of the gym(!) and including all the students that didn't speak English as well as the ones that actually had learning disabilites. She said it was a horrible situation and none of the students were served well. She stuck it out for a year and told the Prinicipal what would work and how she would be willing to set it up. The Principal said no, she wanted it to be known that her school was "inclusive" and "diverse". My SIL found that was the new teaching method throughout the area. She is now tutoring full time and loves it.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:08 PM

2,578 posts, read 8,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic2 View Post
Thank you for the inside knowledge, it is difficult to get that so far away. There is a lot to think about and consider, I plan on going after the 2008-9 school year, so I will have to check then to see the situation.
here's an update on how LAUSD is handling the budget cuts. like i said earlier, most teachers will have jobs come september.

Budget shortfall forces L.A. Unified to cut 500 jobs - Los Angeles Times

Old 06-12-2008, 02:31 AM

9,092 posts, read 17,939,269 times
lots of jobs in AZ, but really not that close to water (about 4-5 hours to CA & 3-4 hrs to mexico beaches on sea of cortez) ...... there are some lakes for boating, etc

i'd say look into the carolinas - i know the 4 areas that are really recruiting hard are AZ, Las Vegas, TX and the Carolinas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching