U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:33 AM

5 posts, read 26,788 times

Advertisements

Greets all,
I'm 27, male, single and looking to move someplace where I can actually AFFORD a house on a teacher's salary. Where I am now, even a condo is running $225k, and I'm 2 hours from Miami up the coast. Long story short, I just can't afford to live here.
Anyway, I'm looking for a nice area where I can afford something on my own. As an elementary teacher, I can pretty much move wherever I need to. This is what I'd like (and feel free to ask for more info if it'll help)
1. SEASONS! Wet and Hot are NOT seasons! And I don't mind snow.
2. Nice area. I don't mind a city with bad areas, just as long as I'm not living in them.
3. I REALLY enjoy hiking/photography.
4. About an hour, max, from an airport. I like to travel...
5. Good schools. I'd like to raise a family where I move.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for any help!

Doug
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 03:11 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,991,491 times
Check out some information on Omaha, NE it is a very good city to live in

CSA population about 859,000
Omaha combined with nearby Lincoln CSA 1.2million

a.Omaha was ranked in the top 20 in 2003 for best jobs in the us according to:
b.top 20 here in the us for quality of life:
c.#5 according to msnbc.com for raising a baby
d.Study ranks the Omaha metro the #30 funnest metro in america
e.#41 for highest per capita income in the US
f.crime rate if very low
g.#7 best big city place to live according to money magazine
h.#15 overal for jobs,
h.#32nd in median household income
h.#12th cost of living rank
h.#55 job growth

ahttp://www.nbc30.com/news/2608638/detail.html
bhttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16775895/
chttp://www.move.com/new-homes/before...e-a-family.cms
dhttp://www.bestjobsusa.com/sections/CAN-bestplaces2003/index.asp (broken link)
ehttp://bea.gov/bea/newsrel/MPINewsRelease.htm
fhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_Crime_Rate
ghttp://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...bigcities.html
h.http://www.forbes.com/home/2007/02/1...obs_table.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forbes Magazine ranked Omaha 15th overall for jobs, 32nd highest in median household income, 17th in unemployment, 12th in cost of living rank 55th in job growth out of all the metros in the nation...

Says Forbes (2/15/07) http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/15/bes...ml&partner=rss

Complete rankings here: http://www.forbes.com/home/2007/02/1...obs_table.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.omahachamber.org/pdf/EconomicOutlook.pdf

This one was just released and is the latest
it spells out household income vs US
Cost of living vs US
population of individual counties in Omaha metro and how much they grew by
from 2000 to 2006 and projections to 2011. It lays out the job growth here and by what categories... And what to expect in the next year 2007

Old 03-11-2007, 04:38 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,738,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbdiety View Post
Greets all,
I'm 27, male, single and looking to move someplace where I can actually AFFORD a house on a teacher's salary. Where I am now, even a condo is running $225k, and I'm 2 hours from Miami up the coast. Long story short, I just can't afford to live here.
Anyway, I'm looking for a nice area where I can afford something on my own. As an elementary teacher, I can pretty much move wherever I need to. This is what I'd like (and feel free to ask for more info if it'll help)
2. Nice area. I don't mind a city with bad areas, just as long as I'm not living in them.

Doug

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/employment/

2007 Iredell Statesville School Teacher Job Fair

Event Sponsor: School District
Event Type: Job Fair
Event Dates: 3/30/2007

Brief Description: All licensed areas will be considered for hiring. There will be early signing bonuses offered for the critical needs areas such as Math, Science, and Exceptional Children.
Applicants should pre-register for the event and bring several copies of their resume to distribute to individual schools.
Specific information regarding the Job Fair will be posted on the Iredell Statesville Schools website: www.iss.k12.nc.us
Address: 300 S. Center St.
City: Statesville
State:NC
CONTACT INFORMATION
Name: Dreisa Sherrill
E-mail Address: djsherrill@iss.k12.nc.us
Phone Number: 704.924.2009

Old 03-11-2007, 04:47 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,620,843 times
The Charlotte area would be great. Sunny, wonderful weather, affordable, nature preserves, U.S. National Whitewater Center, hiking in the area, two big lakes.

Some really good area school systems to check out; Cabarrus County (my wife teaches mid. sch. science here. She loves it. The teachers are valued and respected. Good moral. Go to cabarrus.k12.nc.us.), Iredell County, Union County, Mooresville City, Ft. Mill City, and Clover City. Google any of these and you should get the info you want. Good luck!!!

Old 03-11-2007, 07:41 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,511,563 times
Posts like those show the sad reality how unaffordable Florida has become. $225k for a condo? That is insane but sadly its true. Ive passed by a new development and the sign said "new development condominiums from $229k"
If that isnt bad enough, you got high property taxes, hurricane insurance, HOA and other expenses.

Des Moines, Iowa comes to mind. Its the safest big city(actually its a capital) that I know of and is also affordable with $50k houses for those underpaid teachers. Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 26,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Posts like those show the sad reality how unaffordable Florida has become. $225k for a condo? That is insane but sadly its true. Ive passed by a new development and the sign said "new development condominiums from $229k"
If that isnt bad enough, you got high property taxes, hurricane insurance, HOA and other expenses.

Des Moines, Iowa comes to mind. Its the safest big city(actually its a capital) that I know of and is also affordable with $50k houses for those underpaid teachers. Hope this helps.
$225k for a 1100 sq/ft condo is, sadly, cheap. It's totally a buyers market right now, but even "cheap" there is NOTHING below $200k that you would want to live in. I mean, ya, I can get someplace for $150k, but then there's HOA ($300 average) in addition to insurance and taxes.
But Des Moines, Iowa, huh? Never even thought of looking there....thanks!

Doug

Old 03-11-2007, 08:00 PM

14,495 posts, read 25,215,945 times
Lightbulb you may like-

Quote:
Greets all,

Doug
NE Tennessee. It is safe; nice large houses you can still buy for under 175k (may be a little older). Great place to raise kids. Science Hill HS District has a good reputation. I would NEVER raise a family in S Florida.

sunny

Old 03-11-2007, 09:29 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,511,563 times
Quote:
$225k for a 1100 sq/ft condo is, sadly, cheap. It's totally a buyers market right now, but even "cheap" there is NOTHING below $200k that you would want to live in. I mean, ya, I can get someplace for $150k, but then there's HOA ($300 average) in addition to insurance and taxes.
But Des Moines, Iowa, huh? Never even thought of looking there....thanks!

Doug

That comes to over $200 a square feet which is utterly ridiculous! Des Moines average cost is $60/foot and thats for a house with a backyard and basement. I wouldnt stay in south FL even if I won the lottery. Maybe north FL if they do something about the high property taxes.

Jobs pay more elsewhere than FL as well. Lots of people leaving FL and no supprise about that

Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 PM

15 posts, read 57,241 times
Smile raleigh, NC Job Fair

I'm sure with teaching, it might be hard to attend job fairs...but Wake County Public School System is holding their spring job fair on April 14.... Go to www.wcpss.net for more info.

I was thinking of moving to Florida to teach and went this fall for a visit. So thought it was where I wanted to be but came away discouraged. Now taking my teaching experiences and moving to Raleigh, NC. I do believe I read that they have the highest amount of National Board Certified Teachers in the US.. So something to think about if you are interested in obtaining that certification eventually.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,087 times
Before I went out of state I would try the panhandle. As long as you are not close to the water housing is still affordable. My husband and I bought a 4,000 sf house with a pool 1.5 years ago for $220,000. You also need to take in to consideration that Florida has no state income tax, our property taxes are relatively low (compared to many states), other states with a lot of snow are going to have high heating bills for the winter. In Florida our highest electricity bill will be in summer (about $400 for a large house with 5 members).

The other thing you want to consider is that you will loose your years of service. You are young so that may not be a big thing, but as those years tick by it becomes more important. Unless you want to work until SS age, then it doesn't matter.

I would say my biggest complaint where we are now is the health insurance plan for a family is extremely high, the plan is okay for a single person, but terrible for a family. That has just happened recently and I am hoping that it will correct itself. We are looking for other options.

You will also find that the panhandle is much more seasonal than south Florida. I have lived in South Florida, Central Florida, and the panhandle. I love the actual temperature changes here and the landscape. It is very rural, but you can usually be less than an hour from an airport or city with what ever you want. We live in a town of less than 3,000, but we are 20 minutes from everything we want.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching