Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,477 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida, and I have been trying to relocate to the Atlanta area. I have not had any luck finding a job. I cannot complain because I do currently have a job and I am tenure. It is just that I would like to move outside of Florida. Things are not that great here. If anyone knows of any states that are hiring, please let me know. Mod cut - please do not post e-mail addresses, use DM feature.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-03-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:32 AM

972 posts, read 2,449,780 times
Another option to think about for the adventurous - teaching overseas. My brother and sister-in-law have been overseas for 10 years and have no plans to return. They are currently in their third school. They have never had a problem finding a position at high quality international schools.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,333,584 times
Might check Tennessee, Kentucky, Kansas?

Pretty sure Michigan and possibly Ohio will not be hiring.

May be a few districts will be looking up north but every city has its own district so that is a lot of ground to cover.

Interested enough to look into teaching at Eckerd:

http://www.eckerd.org/

and there is the Hersey School in PA.

http://www.mhs-pa.org/

Also an alternative program that has a school is VisionQuest.

http://www.vq.com/careers/types_of_positions.html (broken link)

Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 AM

Eastern Wake County (North CArolina) has a charter school...

Looking for HS Chemistry, MS science and SpEd...
\
raleigh education/teaching jobs classifieds "zebulon" - craigslist

Old 03-09-2010, 09:12 AM

43 posts, read 160,931 times
Default looking for teachers?

It is almost Spring and the season for hiring teachers is almost here so I would like to bring this topic to the front again and simply ask the same question - Who is hiring teachers and what kind of teachers are "they" looking for?

I am in Wester NY near Rochester and this area is flooded with teachers. Last summer a neighboring district had one open position and with the introduction of the online application process that position received OVER 400 applications.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:52 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,777,691 times
Anchorage School District will be out recruiting all over the country. Here's the schedule:

ASD | HR | Employment | Recruiting

There is a $3000 bonus now for qualifying world language teachers, particularly fluent Spanish speakers:

ASD | Human Resources Department | Signing bonus for World Languages immersion teachers

Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 PM

North Carolina looks like it may have a few positions around the state. Exception being Wake County which seems to be headed for an implosion?

https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/hrms/HRMSHome.Nsf/VacantPosition?openform (broken link)

Always a great site ---

Teaching Jobs US, Education Jobs, Special Education Teacher Jobs

Old 03-11-2010, 09:31 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,446,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaica4460 View Post
Stay away from CA...state budget issues have caused huge cuts this year. I just got a pink slip as did tens of thousands of other CA teachers...all the class sizes are going up to compensate for the lack of teachers.
Jamaica is very right. I would not even try and work in CA. I have 17 years teaching experience, 8 in one district and 9 in my current. I just found out two weeks ago, that I am getting a pink slip or Riffed. What a shame. But it's truly a sign of the times.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 PM

258 posts, read 1,005,867 times
My girlfriend is looking for a music teaching position in either Illinois or Wisconsin, is there any luck there? She lives in Michigan and just had her position cut to budget concerns, she is 24 years old and has experience teaching music part time at a couple of schools... if not Illinois or southern Wisconsin, which are our priorities, what states have the best budgets for teachers right now? Texas has added the most people in recent years, I'm assuming Texas is the place to go, or Utah or Wyoming out west because it is growing there as well. We dont want to live anywhere but Illinois or Wisconsin in the midwest, and do not want to move to North or South Dakota, Kansas, or anyplace near those states.

Last edited by chris0681; 04-14-2010 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,872,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
My girlfriend is looking for a music teaching position in either Illinois or Wisconsin, is there any luck there? She lives in Michigan and just had her position cut to budget concerns, she is 24 years old and has experience teaching music part time at a couple of schools... if not Illinois or southern Wisconsin, which are our priorities, what states have the best budgets for teachers right now? Texas has added the most people in recent years, I'm assuming Texas is the place to go, or Utah or Wyoming out west because it is growing there as well. We dont want to live anywhere but Illinois or Wisconsin in the midwest, and do not want to move to North or South Dakota, Kansas, or anyplace near those states.
She might want to look overseas. Unfortunately, music teachers are usually the first to be laid off and will most likely be the last hired when or if states can get the budgets fixed. I definitely would not go to Arizona. More talks of layoffs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching