Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,866,006 times

Advertisements

Just curious, does anyone know of any states or school districts that will be hiring elementary teachers for 2009-2010 school year? I have an elementary teaching job in Yuma, AZ but I developed asthma after moving there. My asthma improves once I leave Yuma. I am currently teaching ELL students but my SEI endorsement likely won't transfer to other states. I really need to find another teaching job for next year so I can move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 07:27 PM

549 posts, read 1,930,550 times
I'm pretty sure all districts/counties are hiring nationwide next year. The county I'll be applying at is definitely hiring, and it's one of the top counties in the nation in my opinion. However, the competition is going to be real thick. Experience, high qualifications, and good recommendations will go a long way from what I hear.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 32,000 times
Default Not so great here in FL

I live near Tampa and several districts here are on hiring freezes. They are not even hiring new substitutes. A year ago, FL counties were recruiting like crazy. The economy has really hurt the school districts too. Most are hoping they will be able to keep the number of teachers they have.
I will be graduating in 7 weeks and really hope I can find a position for the fall.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,799 times
In NY, the new schools are still slated to open.

There are still plenty of excessed teachers from the closing of others,
but truth be told, administrators prefer hiring new or newer teachers...

the salaries are lower and administrators consider newbies more open to their ways of doing things.

Although most of the schools being in urban areas with challenging populations, one would think administrators would welcome experience, but not according to documented hiring practices with all of these new "smaller" schools and "charter schools" popping up every year.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:34 PM

549 posts, read 1,930,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIANNONAG View Post
I live near Tampa and several districts here are on hiring freezes. They are not even hiring new substitutes. A year ago, FL counties were recruiting like crazy. The economy has really hurt the school districts too. Most are hoping they will be able to keep the number of teachers they have.
I will be graduating in 7 weeks and really hope I can find a position for the fall.
While I can't say this with full certainty, I'm pretty sure the every county will begin hiring once the school year is done. The county I'm interning at is also in a hiring freeze. However, as one of the staff members pointed out, we're always in a hiring freeze at this time of year (obviously not "always" but in recent years at least). Teachers retire and move... they need to be replaced.

By the way, good luck to you and me for getting a job!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:10 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,043,337 times
I could never live in Yuma. I am sure the kids are great and all, but the sheer nothingness that is there would kill me. I live in Chandler and work in Coolidge. They are hiring and so is Florence and Casa Grande. Chandler is always hiring too, but they wait until you already signed contracts with other places so get their's out so it is hard to rely on them.
YO\ou are already a step ahead since next year most districts will not hire anyone not with standard or provisional certs and full SEI.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 PM

12 posts, read 78,141 times
Stay away from CA...state budget issues have caused huge cuts this year. I just got a pink slip as did tens of thousands of other CA teachers...all the class sizes are going up to compensate for the lack of teachers.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
even though TX has suffered less than other areas of the country during the economic downturn, the ISDs are suffering with reduced tax intake that is limiting their abilities in certain situations to open new schools that were due to open this fall--other districts have put in hiring freeze and are not allowing teachers to transfer within the district
so it is a crap shoot--there are schools that need teachers but sometimes that job vacancy is filled by someone being moved from another school with smaller enrollment...
don't come to TX expecting to find it easy to get hired -- no matter what your endorsements are

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,199,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIANNONAG View Post

Polk County just announced they were hiring. The good news is that it'd be a job in your field, but the bad news is...well, Polk County.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:47 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,128,039 times
I am in Colorado Springs, the Pikes Peak area which hosts about 8 school districts. Out of those 8, only about 3 are hiring due to budget issues. Also, one district closed down 8 schools so teachers are fighting over jobs. In our school, we are averaging 275 applicants per opening. Wow huh?! Here is my school district's website in case you are interested.
Untitled
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching