Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Teachers, what is your reaction to a parent who thinks their young child is gifted?
The parents that usually say that are really pushing their kids. 10 13.16%
None of the supposely gifted children were really gifted 18 23.68%
I am skeptical but I have seen a couple of gifted children 35 46.05%
I give the parent the benefit of the doubt after all they know their kid best. 16 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,405,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I can care less for the gifted label. I just do not want my dd to be bored in school.
I don't really care about the "gifted" label either but you sometimes have to play the game to get the best educational resources for your child who is academically "advanced". My kids are also very bright (or accelerated or "gifted"...whatever) and I wanted them challenged.

During the K - 2 years (before they were eligible for our district's gifted program), I pressed teachers for advanced work (e.g. I had my 1st grader moved into a 2nd grade math class, my 2nd grader joined the 3rd grade advanced reading group, etc.). Undoubtedly, many schools will not accomodate this but I recommend approaching the teacher/principal/gifted resource with a plan and have a positive (non-threatening) discussion with the school. Be your child's advocate. Also, be part of the solution and offer to help teachers who are going the extra mile to challenge your child (assist w/reading groups, copying, etc.). Also, have a back-up plan. If my children were not being challenged, I would have partially homeschooled them (for math). Luckily, it did not come to this.

Starting in 3rd grade, our school starts IQ/assessment testing. This testing confirmed that I was not just another pushy parent but that my kids could, indeed, be labeled as "gifted" and eligible for our district's gifted school (which accepts only the upper 1% on natl. IQ testing). Their classes are now about 3 years above grade level and taught only by certified gifted teachers in a non-traditional forum (e.g. kinetic kids can roll a ball while they do math, literature is approached using a Socratic method of discussion, etc.).

So, FWIW, here is advice from a parent who has been there:
  • Find the most challenging school program you can reasonably afford (whether it's private school, public magnet, etc.)
  • Find out how advanced learners are taught (in-class differentiated instruction? Partial pull-out program? Magnet school?)
  • If possible, find the teachers with gifted (or differentiated teaching) credentials and request those teachers.
  • Find out how gifted kids are identified for the gifted/accelerated programs and, if possible, prep your child for this identification testing.
Yes, I'll admit it (most parents will not tell you this), there are many online resources to help prepare for these tests. In our district, it is all about the Cogat, Wischler (sp?), Stanford-Binet, MAPs, and SAT tests. Getting into our FREE gifted program (often regarded as one of the best in the state) is VERY competitive. I prepped both of my kids for the 3rd grade gifted battery of tests (the main entry point into the gifted school). No apologies. I feel this helped them ace the tests and they are now thriving in the gifted school. Because of this, they will now be eligible for some of the top AP Math and Science courses in the country.

Finally, if you choose this path, make sure your kids can handle the pressure and it is something they want. My kids are very happy, healthy, and energetic. In academics and sports, they are very competitive and goal-driven (like their parents). Again, I am unapologetic for "pushing" and "prepping" to have their needs met. I helped them to get on course but they know they have to continue to work hard to realize their dreams...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:38 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,443,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
suzie02, what do you want from people? So your daughter is smart. A LOT of kids are smart. If she is an outcast at school, my guess is it will be because you have convinced her that she does not belong with "normal" kids, that she is so very special that she is smarter than them. Her opening her mouth is not going to make one bit of difference to a bunch of 3 and 4 year olds unless what comes out of it is offensive to them. I assure you, not one of those other kids will treat your daughter any differently because she can count puzzle pieces, can operate a remote and knows her letters. I can tell you that those things are not indicative of giftedness.
Here's my question, and not just for stormy night.

What's it to you?

Not trying to be rude, but why does it matter so much if a parent feels their child is very smart or gifted? Why does it matter that some kids are in the gifted and talented program and it is your personal belief that they shouldn't be there? Why so much persnoal investment in the so-called "gifted" label?

I think it is true that there can be a difference between advanced and gifted. I agree that people have different ideas about what defines giftedness. But to be so quick to be sooo snarky about actions do or do not indicate giftedness is not productive. I've seen posts on this thread about what a parent considers gifted and advanced, and really quick retorts that (by tone) basically amount to, "please, that's not gifted!"

If a child is advanced or gifted, fine. If a parent is proud of that, fine. Parents brag from time to time; if one of them happens to brag about smarts or TAG status (or sports talent or artistic talent), then let it be.
If a parent wants a child tested, let it be. If a parent or even a school system wants to equate being advanced with being gifted, then let it be. I'm just not seeing the big social detriment in that.

Full disclosure: I was placed in some advanced classes when I was in school, and one of my children recently qualified for the talented and gifted program. He is also disabled. I have had to fight to ensure his academics are strong. I can't say that I ever saw myself as gifted, but I had talent in one area and was advanced in some areas -- but never in math.

That being said, I think much if not most of what gifted programs offer (enrichment, development of problem-solving, analytical and critical thinking skills) should be offered to EVERY child. AP and IB courses should be available to EVERY child.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Not trying to be rude, but why does it matter so much if a parent feels their child is very smart or gifted? Why does it matter that some kids are in the gifted and talented program and it is your personal belief that they shouldn't be there? Why so much persnoal investment in the so-called "gifted" label?

I liked your post.... I've always told (labeled?) my kids they were smart, talented, strong, fast, kind, fair, athletic, musical, artistic, funny, loved, etc... etc.... I have had friends who have literally told their kids they were not so smart, not so athletic, not so musical, not so socially adept, not good enough, etc... etc.... These same friends have compared their children to mine right in front of them (e.g. see how good Suzy is at reading, why can't you be a better reader, etc.).

Here's the deal - sometimes these labels are a self-fulfilling prophecy. I would much rather hear a parent (falsely?) label their child as "gifted" than label their child "dumb." I have watched children of similar abilities drift apart because one child has an encouraging parent with high expectations while another has a parent with low expectations for their child.

I have always thought of my children as gifted and raised them that way with constant academic challenge (at home and school). I do not specifically tell them they are "gifted" (though their teachers do). I tell them every child has some gift from God that they must share with the world. I tell them they are obligated to work hard to share their particular gifts with others.

I've read recent research arguing that a parent can create a "gifted" child and I find that believable. I think I may have done it. Perhaps just seeing your child as "gifted" makes all the difference...

Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,501,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvAlberts View Post
My kid is the only one that is gifted, this is due to having superior genetics. Every other so called "gifted" kid was just a skinny nerd. Nerd does NOT mean gifted!!

Marv OUT
Oh so you're trolling on the education forum too now, eh?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 PM

901 posts, read 2,992,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Here's my question, and not just for stormy night.

What's it to you?

I think it is true that there can be a difference between advanced and gifted. I agree that people have different ideas about what defines giftedness. But to be so quick to be sooo snarky about actions do or do not indicate giftedness is not productive. I've seen posts on this thread about what a parent considers gifted and advanced, and really quick retorts that (by tone) basically amount to, "please, that's not gifted!"

If a child is advanced or gifted, fine. If a parent is proud of that, fine. Parents brag from time to time; if one of them happens to brag about smarts or TAG status (or sports talent or artistic talent), then let it be.
If a parent wants a child tested, let it be. If a parent or even a school system wants to equate being advanced with being gifted, then let it be. I'm just not seeing the big social detriment in that.

Full disclosure: I was placed in some advanced classes when I was in school, and one of my children recently qualified for the talented and gifted program. He is also disabled. I have had to fight to ensure his academics are strong. I can't say that I ever saw myself as gifted, but I had talent in one area and was advanced in some areas -- but never in math.

That being said, I think much if not most of what gifted programs offer (enrichment, development of problem-solving, analytical and critical thinking skills) should be offered to EVERY child. AP and IB courses should be available to EVERY child.
Suzie asked a question and people answered. No one on this board is qualified to determine whether her daughter is gifted or not, especially since we have never even met the girl. I certainly never said that she was not gifted. But you can't expect people to sugar coat it say she is indeed gifted.

I answered the OP/ poll honestly. If any parent thinks that their child is gifted, then get them tested. What is wrong with that?

Last edited by Sam82; 03-16-2009 at 06:05 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,168,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

I've read recent research arguing that a parent can create a "gifted" child and I find that believable.
I think I may have done it. Perhaps just seeing your child as "gifted" makes all the difference...
I'm not sure that you can "create" a gifted child -- well, other than the usual way of creating any child --any more than you can create a tall child, a handsome child, a black child, an Irish child, a musical child, a brown-eyed child, and so on. However, that said, I do think that you can provide the most nurturing possible environment for a child to reach his or her maximum potential capacity.

You could compare it to two oak seeds, both of which have the potential of growing twenty feet tall under ideal conditions. They can't, genetically speaking, grow twenty-one feet, or even 20.000001 feet, but they can get up to twenty. Plant one in shallow soil with poor sun, and that tree might grow to a shrimpy 10', but plant the other in ideal conditions, and it will grow to its full potential.

Congratulations for providing an excellent environment in which your children can flourish -- I wish every parent would make that same decision.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,054,432 times
I've been busy working with all the gifted children of the world all day, LOL, so I'll comment on the quotes below plus add some of my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
That is great. You have put my mind at ease. I can care less for the gifted label. I just do not want my dd to be bored in school.
I really think the whold "bored in school" business is over-exaggerated. As Mrs. Betwitched says (love the name, BTW), the teachers pick up on this and teach accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
I'm not sure that you can "create" a gifted child -- well, other than the usual way of creating any child --any more than you can create a tall child, a handsome child, a black child, an Irish child, a musical child, a brown-eyed child, and so on.
I agree, and I wonder just what the author of that statement meant by a "gifted" child. You can offer your child a rich environment and all sorts of opportunities, but the "gift" comes from God, or Mother Nature if you will.

There are specific definitions of gifted children. It's not all a matter of individual judegement. Supposed 2% - 5# (something like that) of the population is gifted.

We talked about this once before on this forum, and I have to agree with bowian on this issue: I think the "enrichment" that is offered "gifted" kids should be offered to everybody.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,210,709 times
Quote:
Wow. That's a sorry state of affairs if you're speaking literally.

Yes, I am, and yes, it is.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure that you can "create" a gifted child -- well, other than the usual way of creating any child --any more than you can create a tall child, a handsome child, a black child, an Irish child, a musical child, a brown-eyed child, and so on. However, that said, I do think that you can provide the most nurturing possible environment for a child to reach his or her maximum potential capacity.

You could compare it to two oak seeds, both of which have the potential of growing twenty feet tall under ideal conditions. They can't, genetically speaking, grow twenty-one feet, or even 20.000001 feet, but they can get up to twenty. Plant one in shallow soil with poor sun, and that tree might grow to a shrimpy 10', but plant the other in ideal conditions, and it will grow to its full potential.
Great metaphor... I agree with this... It's a combo of both nature and nuture. I should have written you can "nurture" (rather than "create") the potential of gifted kids. My kids were blessed to have both the genetics AND environment to foster their individual gifts. It would be great if enrichment were offered to all kids. I'll admit my kids have had many advantages... They have an advocate (me) able to work the system in a large city with many opportunities. And they have the financial means to get into the best programs and take advantage of these opportunities. If only more kids were so lucky...

Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,054,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Agreed. Though I'm thinking that, when the volunteers refuse to work with a first-grader because she uses words they don't understand and reads at a higher level they do, it's indicative of something.
Of course, since we lived in Daytona Beach at the time, it might not have been the first-grader who was the issue.
Quote:
Wow. That's a sorry state of affairs if you're speaking literally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Yes, I am, and yes, it is.
One thing I'd say is at least they got the less educated parents to work as volunteers. That is a group that frequently doesn't volunteer in schools. The vols probably learned as much as the kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching