Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,962,390 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of careers where having Harvard or Stanford on your resume is going to be a big deal. If you want to go into i-banking, consulting, be a professor in something, etc - by all means, shell out the money for Harvard.

If you just want to teach at a public school, find a reasonably priced, accredited school with a good track record for placing graduates in jobs, and go there. I am in a masters of education program now (as a career switcher from the IT world). My entire masters is only costing $16k, and I can go to school on weekends so I can continue to work full time doing it. In 2 years I'll have a degree, no debt, and a darn good chance at a job (majority of grads the past few years found work for the next school year). I wanted to go to Harvard just so I could say I went to Harvard, but the numbers don't justify it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 PM

31 posts, read 85,789 times
how are people in teacher programs working full time when you have to student teach full time??

Old 05-13-2010, 12:37 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,962,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey10 View Post
how are people in teacher programs working full time when you have to student teach full time??
It's a two year program, and you only student teach your last semester. I will take a leave of absence from my job in December, student teach January through May/June, and go back to my current job June-August, assuming I have a full time teaching position starting next year.

I do have observation hours to do each semester (between 20-40 hours), which I have to use vacation hours for, or adjust my schedule to make up the time.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:10 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,027,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey10 View Post
anybody know of anything about the Masters program at Hunter College (nyc) for teaching?
Yes it's a good program and reputable in NYC. It's also the cheapest.

Teacher's COllege at Columbia and the one at NYU are the only ones more reputable but they cost an arm, a leg and your first born.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:12 PM

31 posts, read 85,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Yes it's a good program and reputable in NYC. It's also the cheapest.

Teacher's COllege at Columbia and the one at NYU are the only ones more reputable but they cost an arm, a leg and your first born.

Haha thanks for the input! I applied for the Fall and still waiting on the decision from them. However a little hesitant since I will be a full time student and would have to take out student loans..

Did you go there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching