Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a stand alone degree in the subject you teach?
I have an actual degree in the subject(s) I teach 17 85.00%
I have enough credits to have an actual degree in the subject(s) I teach 1 5.00%
I have an ed major in the subject(s) I teach 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

Advertisements

I was reading a post on the TFA thread about how teachers have degrees in what they teach as opposed to ed degrees with a major in what they teach. I'm in Michigan and I don't have to have a stand alone degree in what I teach. I happen to have one in chemical engineering, which gave me an ed major in chemistry and an ed minor in physics and I took enough classes to have an ed major in math (32 credits in math, which would not be a stand alone degree in math).

So, the question is, if you took all of your ed classes off of your transcript would you have a stand alone degree in what you teach left? I would for chemistry or engineering but not for either physics or math. Since I teach chemistry, my answer would be yes.

Just for clarification, what I mean by an ed major is you have the number of credits the ed college says you need for a major in the subject which is not necessarily the same as the number you'd need for a stand alone degree in that subject. My 32 credits in math is not enough to give me a math major. I'd need to double that to have a degree in math but I have a math major in the eyes of the ed college. My 87 credits in chemistry/chemical engineering are enough for a stand alone major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 05:33 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Doesn't NCLB require a degree to teach a content area? Though I my major is SpEd emotional impaired, I am teaching cognitive disabilities as NC just has SpEd endorsements.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
I teach third graders economics, geography, civics, ancient cultures, math, science, computer technology, health, reading, writing, oral communication... No. If I took away all of my education classes, I would not have a stand alone degree in any one of those areas. My BS is in elementary education and my MA is in reading and literacy.

Last edited by tgbwc; 03-06-2011 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Doesn't NCLB require a degree to teach a content area? Though I my major is SpEd emotional impaired, I am teaching cognitive disabilities as NC just has SpEd endorsements.
No specific degree required, just 24 credits.

My undergrad was a dual degree major, you majored in music and education. It took five years to complete both majors. So I have a BA in Music and a BS in Ed. I also have a master's degree in music education.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
No, it just requires you have an ed minor in what you teach. That is enough credits for the ed college to call it a major. That's a lot less than an actual major around here. My 32 credits in math qualifies me for an ed math major. I don't think I could get a degree in math with twice that many math credits.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I have degrees in Speech Language Pathology & Audiology, and a minor in SPED. I currently teach SPED.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
BS Social Studies Education. Take away the 12 credits of Ed courses and I'd still have the Social Studies. Those 12 credits would have been a foreign language for a BA. Did have to have a concentration, ended up with 1 3/4.

MS equivalent in Educational Leadership (Administration). The equivalent means I had to get 45 grad credits instead of 30 or 33.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
BS Social Studies Education. Take away the 12 credits of Ed courses and I'd still have the Social Studies. Those 12 credits would have been a foreign language for a BA. Did have to have a concentration, ended up with 1 3/4.

MS equivalent in Educational Leadership (Administration). The equivalent means I had to get 45 grad credits instead of 30 or 33.
I had to have 36 credits in ed courses for my MAT. More than 30 credits for a "major" and more than 20 for a "minor" in a subject area. I just happen to have a stand alone major but I could teach without it.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No, it just requires you have an ed minor in what you teach. That is enough credits for the ed college to call it a major. That's a lot less than an actual major around here. My 32 credits in math qualifies me for an ed math major. I don't think I could get a degree in math with twice that many math credits.
My degree is in Music Education and Music Education had MORE music requirements than a BA in music. I consider a BA in Music Education to be a "real degree" in music.

At the school I graduated from Music Ed is considered a Music Major NOT an Ed major. I had to take 6 extra music classes for my ed degree AND I had to present a half hour recital. Of course that was in addition to the education classes required of all ed degrees. A BA in Music Education is considered a higher level degree than a BA in Music.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
No specific degree required, just 24 credits.

My undergrad was a dual degree major, you majored in music and education. It took five years to complete both majors. So I have a BA in Music and a BS in Ed. I also have a master's degree in music education.
Ours was a little different. We got a BA in Music Education but it was considered a MUSIC major. Our degree requirements were higher than the BA in music. We had 6 extra music classes and we had to present a recital (which were not required for BA in Music). It took most Music Ed people 5 years to complete the degree as the requirements were so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching