Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,574,981 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to add that secondary science teachers were told they'd have to go back to school a few years back only to have the state back down and allow general science certificate holders to teach all subjects out of fear of a shortage. I predict the same thing will happen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 02:21 PM

5,017 posts, read 10,713,765 times
I hope so.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:33 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,867,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I am so sick of all of this credentialing bull----. It is just so corrupt and insincere. And it is constantly changing to suit the needs of everyone but educators and students. It really is all about the benjamins.
The one thing I love about this country is that you really can take your business elsewhere. I really do hope that the public schools face a teacher shortage and that, the next time around, educators will not be seduced by higher pay to teach under horrible conditions and to empower this sort of behavior among leaders. I really think that the public school system is in dire need of a thumping wake-up call.
My suggestion to the OP is to change careers or seek employment at a private school (if possible) rather than to put up with this sort of nonsense, as it will be a continuing occurrence.
Certification for teachers is corrupt in all states. I was certified in Indiana back in 2004. I took all the Indiana tests and passed them with flying colors. Then I didn't find a job in Indiana so I had to move to Arizona. In Arizona, I had to pay another $50 dollars for a reciprocal license. Then another $165 to take the Arizona tests. Then I paid another $50 for a provisional license. Then another $110 to take the Arizona Constitution class. Then once I passed the Constitution class, I had to pay another $50 to get the standard license. Then after all this, my school district did not want to renew my contract even though my students were well behaved and test scores improved. I actually had students crying when I was gone one day because I had to go to the emergency room. When I started receiving unemployment, they said I was fired for bogus reasons.

I am looking to change careers myself. I used to have the calling to be a teacher but I am fed up from dealing with all this.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 AM

5,017 posts, read 10,713,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Certification for teachers is corrupt in all states. I was certified in Indiana back in 2004. I took all the Indiana tests and passed them with flying colors. Then I didn't find a job in Indiana so I had to move to Arizona. In Arizona, I had to pay another $50 dollars for a reciprocal license. Then another $165 to take the Arizona tests. Then I paid another $50 for a provisional license. Then another $110 to take the Arizona Constitution class. Then once I passed the Constitution class, I had to pay another $50 to get the standard license. Then after all this, my school district did not want to renew my contract even though my students were well behaved and test scores improved. I actually had students crying when I was gone one day because I had to go to the emergency room. When I started receiving unemployment, they said I was fired for bogus reasons.

I am looking to change careers myself. I used to have the calling to be a teacher but I am fed up from dealing with all this.
Good for you. Tolerating the corruption only empowers it. I only weep for the kids who have to remain in public schools and witness all of this. Even worse, some are learning to behave in this same corrupt manner as well.

I had a simliar experience teaching at a public school and am highly critical of the legislation and bureaucracy as it is being prepetrated for the sake of money rather than the well-being of the students and parents. Districts are losing a lot of very good teachers and are insisting on total obedience and censorship of public school teachers. Anyone who questions "district policy" is labeled as insubordinate and fired. Moreover, if you don't go along with the certification requirements (which have nothing to do with being highly qualified and everything to do with educational cash flow) you are unable to get a job. So much for teaching kids to think for themselves.

Moreover, I think that everyone has learned of the dangers of insistence by leaders on "total obedience." I honestly do not know how this is happening in our country today and why people are allowing it to happen. A lot of people complain that they need a paycheck and can't afford to take a stand. So my hat's off to you and every educator who is not tolerating all of this. Hopefully, more educators will stand up for themselves and will force the changes that need to be made to get the public school system back on track.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 713,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
In an email today, my teacher's union president said that elementary teachers who hold multiple subject credentials may need to go back to college to get a supplemental credential to teach PE or a single subject credential just to be more marketable and to keep a teaching job at my southern CA school district. As the enrollment is decreasing, and the number of needed teachers are reducing, many multiple subject credential holders in CA are finding themselves out of a job, and having a hard time finding work in other school districts, since the demand apparently is moving toward a greater need for middle and high school teachers.

Well it sounds like what the union is saying is that because of CA cuts mostly Elementary multiple subject teachers are being let go and if you as a teacher want to compete and still have a job as a teacher there is a need for middle school and high school teachers that would be willing to teach P.E. or a single subject such as math or science. So they are just letting you know what is in demand and telling you how to get the few jobs that are actually still available . Either way what it comes down to is would you even consider going that high up in grades if you like working with the younger ones plus are you willing to drop more time and money into this profession just to try and maybe up your chances of getting some sort of teaching job. My answer is NO and NO. In my district I know that the teachers who had more credentials had higher "points" and were kept over those with more seniority. So if you had CLAD, BCLAD, any single subject cert. even if you were teaching elementary those all worked in your favor. Either way the state is always pushing for more "qualified" people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching