Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 33,796 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how correct the info is as I compared one salary from 2006/07 to the 07/08 and it showed the person as Master's level in the first record and Bachelor's level last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Teachers should be more mobile between teaching and other professions. They should bring experience of the real world to the classroom. Therefore, they should not have tenure. If they get fired or laid off, it's an opportunity for them to join the real world and learn more, then go back to teaching later, when they're older and wiser.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I love this link:

PA Teachers Search

You can look up the salary of any PA public school teacher, either by teacher names or by a whole school district.

I was shocked that in my school district (which doesn't perform well, but where they like to keep increasing school distict taxes) most of the teachers make over $70,000.

Whatever happened to that old claim that teachers make a modest salary? I have a Master's degree in a mental health field, and I don't earn as much as these teachers with only a Bachelor's. The few that show up making in the 30,000 range end up being part-timers. The newest teachers, right out of school, make in the mid 40's.

Check it out. But a word of warning: your head might explode! And just think, this is their salary not including all that's spent on their benefits.

I did have difficulty finding Philly teachers salaries, as all that came up were charter schools. Maybe Phila blocked their regular public school teachers from showing up on the site?

Do teachers deserve to be paid well? Sure, the good ones do. Do they deserve 80 grand? maybe very few. But I just hate the continual bellyaching I hear from the teachers who complain that teachers are so underpaid.

Can I look up your salary?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 65,402 times
Quote:
I love this link:

PA Teachers Search

You can look up the salary of any PA public school teacher, either by teacher names or by a whole school district.

I was shocked that in my school district (which doesn't perform well, but where they like to keep increasing school distict taxes) most of the teachers make over $70,000.

Whatever happened to that old claim that teachers make a modest salary? I have a Master's degree in a mental health field, and I don't earn as much as these teachers with only a Bachelor's. The few that show up making in the 30,000 range end up being part-timers. The newest teachers, right out of school, make in the mid 40's.

Check it out. But a word of warning: your head might explode! And just think, this is their salary not including all that's spent on their benefits.

I did have difficulty finding Philly teachers salaries, as all that came up were charter schools. Maybe Phila blocked their regular public school teachers from showing up on the site?

Do teachers deserve to be paid well? Sure, the good ones do. Do they deserve 80 grand? maybe very few. But I just hate the continual bellyaching I hear from the teachers who complain that teachers are so underpaid.
I'm not sure that people who complain about teacher salaries know exactly what goes into teaching. Do you understand how much they're accountable for? Only the future! Some of the most influential people in a child's life are their teachers. Teachers are paid well because of what they are responsible for.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 65,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblea65 View Post
Look up the City Data where you are checking the teachers pay... the average salary for the local people... I was very surprised to find out what the teachers were being paid, and frankly Pissed!!! Remember it is not a 2080 hours work year... And if they did actually teach, I could accept it better... And Hansproof, congrates to you, but stop blowing your own horn!!!
The Unions are not needed any longer... They Ruin business!!!
Anyone who is against unions is probably getting their info from someone who is an executive for a big business (i.e. someone who wants to screw the little guy). The only problem I have w/ unions is the politics.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
I love this link:

PA Teachers Search

Let's stick to the OP. You can head down to the education forum if you want to discuss teachers in general.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 31,096 times
As a teacher in Bucks County I am very happy to be paid the salary I have and I appreciate the job security that I have in this volatile economy. Although I started out at a higher salary (with a masters and 15 credits beyond my degree) than my friends, they have quickly surpassed what I will EVER see as an educator. This was my choice though. I assure you, good teachers do not get into education for the money. We do it because we love being with your children and helping them grow into the professionals who will hopefully make more money than we will ever see at retirement age By the way, teachers in my school district do pay into their benefits. I spend my nights and weekends planning and preparing for my classes and I complete continuing education courses in the summer as well as throughout the school year. My job is constant. This isn't a complaint. I don't look at teaching as a job, but rather my life's work. I just wish that more people would consider the fact that we are indeed professionals.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 30,895 times
Okay. Let me play with the numbers here. Imagine I have the ideal classroom and only have 20 students in my classroom. Let's just say I am going to be paid $1.00 an hour for each child. So that's $20.00 per hour. That's $1.00 per hour to teach your child to read, write, factor mathematical equations, feel safe enough to question and push themselves further, so that when they are set free in to the world they challenge silly people who think their teachers were over compensated. Now back to the math. If I am just an okay teacher and only put in 2 extra hours a day (after teaching your child for 7 hours) to grade papers, come up with lesson plans, meet with parents and change classroom enrichment materials, that means I will make $180.00. Now let's say I never grade paper, do lesson plans, etc. on the weekends, this will give me $900.00 per week. Now if I multiply that by 4 because there are 4 weeks in a month, that's $3600/ month. Now we will pretend that teachers don't do any work in the summer, because everyone knows those classrooms just get themselves ready and those new lesson plans just grow on the desk, so we multiply that by 10 months. That is $36,000 per year. That's the average starting salary for the teachers in my area. Now that is just $1/hour/child, in the ideal world. The reality is that the average class size is 25 and that most teacher put in more than 2 extra hours a day, and do work on weekends, and do work during the summer. If you factor in the actual work they put in, even at $1/per child/hour, it would only come to about $65,000 per year. I don't know about you, but my child is precious and worth much more than $1.00 per hour.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If they get fired or laid off, it's an opportunity for them to join the real world and learn more, then go back to teaching later, when they're older and wiser.
"...the real world..." ???? How should one interpret this comment?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM

125 posts, read 1,039,014 times
WOW.......... the superintendents in PA are making crazy money!

$225,000 - $175,000 a year to be the superintendent!!!!

How does one become a superintendent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching