Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 04:02 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't chance it at all if I were you. Train for a trade, save your money, learn the laws, and then pursue your dreams. It would be terrible to get your credential and then discover you couldn't use it due to overzealousness on your state's part. It's hard enough for people who have NEVER been arrested to get a job here. I finally had to settle for working in a detention center. I've never been arrested, but I have poor work history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,684 times
I hear you but i only need to take four classes so its not a huge investment and i can get it all paid. my dreams are to not be employed so i can't follow my dreams lol. we are all different. what works for you wont work for others. i love education. its so easy for me to be a teacher. everything in live is a chance so all i need is one break. im gonna see what happens soon. i may not get a job at a district but who knows. theres a demand for dealing with really tough kids. the kinds that will punch you in the face type. maybe someone with a record is suitable for that. lol. thats a joke. theres also some private schools that may not care about everything as long as it was expunged. and there are charter schools that are fully online so having a record is not much of an issue. now im assuming i get certified but from what ive seen getting a job is harder then getting certified. well see.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,286 times
I had a legal issue that became a misdemeanor. It was expunged. Unfortunately, the time of this legal difficulty I was substitute teaching. I live in California and the legal information was sent to the California Commission on Teaching Credentialing. I do not think that I sent the correct type of letters
to them to represent my moral character. The commission publicly reproved me and then placed a flag on my emergency teaching credential. Since the commission placed the flag on my credential, I am unable to get hired with a district to work.

The irony is the commission has written to me that I am able to work as a substitute
teacher. That was their determination after reviewing my legal situation. Also, I could pursue a credential and receive one from the state of California.

This situation is perplexing for me. I am working on a credential, but how can I find a school district to work in as a permanent teacher if I am unable to teach?

I would think that the commission is in the wrong be reproving me as I expunged my misdemeanor.
Does anyone reading this post have any ideas on solving this issue?

Old 06-14-2016, 06:28 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan567 View Post
I had a legal issue that became a misdemeanor. It was expunged. Unfortunately, the time of this legal difficulty I was substitute teaching. I live in California and the legal information was sent to the California Commission on Teaching Credentialing. I do not think that I sent the correct type of letters
to them to represent my moral character. The commission publicly reproved me and then placed a flag on my emergency teaching credential. Since the commission placed the flag on my credential, I am unable to get hired with a district to work.

The irony is the commission has written to me that I am able to work as a substitute
teacher. That was their determination after reviewing my legal situation. Also, I could pursue a credential and receive one from the state of California.

This situation is perplexing for me. I am working on a credential, but how can I find a school district to work in as a permanent teacher if I am unable to teach?

I would think that the commission is in the wrong be reproving me as I expunged my misdemeanor.
Does anyone reading this post have any ideas on solving this issue?
You are allowed to petition for reinstatement one year after it is revoked, however they may not be willing to do that for an emergency certification.

California Reinstatement Petition

Old 10-11-2021, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,205 times
Default I'm in the same boat.

I'm in the same boat. My situation is like a bad dream though... I'm devasted. 32 years old, not a thing on my record, have a B.S. and MPA and have been working for years in several nonprofits in marketing-related/community outreach roles. Well, it's all in jeapordy now... got mixed up with this extremely toxic woman, she was also on a lot of prescription drugs, diagnosed with bipolar (which I didnt even know until the night of the incident).. basically we were on and off for 6 months, we are on the fritz/breaking up once and for all, I went to return soem of her items to her, she chased me down, so we talked in my car at length- she was getting messages from someone else, like a dummy, I tried to get her to show me, well of course she wouldnt, and was refusing to leave my car, I asked her a dozen times to get out and she refused, it was about 1:30 am on a work night and I was so tired. To finally get her away from my car so I could drive away I splashed this water bottle at her so she stepped away and I sped off... come to find out next day she made this insane police report saying all these crazy things, none of which were true, and like most, dug my own grave my talking to the cops and telling them the God's honest truth. So I spent a night in jail and now have a assault DV and disorderly conduct charge. It's like a bad dream... so anywho I have a lawyer, but its in AZ and no matter what the outcome, I fear it will still come up on a federal FBI background check with a diversion/dismissal. So it's gonna be an uphill battle. I've always wanted to go back to school to be a language arts teacher or most importantly a school counslor, except jobs are few and far in between so Ive been debating for years. I feel it's my calling to help youth as I came from a troubled home.. hence why I attract crazy narcissists as a co-dependent, letting ppl walk all over me. I've learned so much through this, and I pray it doesnt haunt me.. it's so messed up. Should've never admitted it without lawyer cause she wanted to drop charges, but once I admitted to splashing water, the state steps in. That's my story for now, hope it doesnt affect my future, and I'm forced to do menial labor or serving jobs.

Send me some prayers and strength! Thanks all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by info_maniac View Post
Yeah, you gotta be careful nowadays and avoid those females with all their crap laying out on a counter. Make sure to leave a 3 foot radius otherwise you can kiss your belongings goodbye. This scenario actually happened to me but at a starbucks. I forget what the woman took from me but it probably was my phone as well. I was so shocked at how easily she pulled off her caper. I told her she took my phone and she didn't admit it since she said it was her phone. I was just about to crazy on her until she checked her pocket and found her own phone. She gave me back my phone and took her drink and practically ran out of the store.

So yeah I think its definitely plausible that she took it by accident since it has happened to me. The story does sound a little fishy on how the cops were able to locate her but who are we to judge.

I for one cant since I'm also in the same boat. I have a misdemeanor charge of battery and I want to teach in Nevada. I've considered expungement but to me it wouldn't help since the district is asking not just if I've been convicted of a crime but if I've been arrested and charged with a crime. It looks like I will have to explain away the details and hope things work in my favor. I can share the details but whats the point? People judge all the time. Let's just say don't ever push away and turn down the advances of a divorced alcoholic woman since she will stretch the truth to the police. Something as innocuous as pushing someone off you who is kissing your face with the stench of tobacco and alcohol could be grounds for a battery charge.

Am I screwed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching