Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
An omission of education is not considered a lie.
Omitting employment is.
Depends on what the application asks for, how complete they ask you to be and what you are signing as being full and truthful when you sign it. Without seeing every application one can't say. One of the things they will ask is to list all colleges attended and if they add and all courses taken. The other thing is she will have to submit her transcript and for certification they will do a credit count. Now if she leaves off universities attended oh well. ETS will send her complete list of Praxis scores and the system will obviously see that she is eligible for certification in Chem. In addition her application will identify her current teaching assignment which is Chemistry so what has she gained?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
An omission of education is not considered a lie.
Omitting employment is.
Consider the candidate who omits the fact that they were expelled from a college for a pattern of sexual harassment of female students who applies to a district that doesn't ask for a full accounting of all colleges attended. That teacher is hired and gets caught fooling with a student and it is revealed that the application failed to ask for a full and complete accounting of and thus the teacher omitted it. Hmmmm you know where that law suit is headed. Betcha most applications ask for a full accounting with a signature that you have answered truthfully.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Good luck and chill. You have a lot to offer and stay on the relaxed side as the people interviewing you are probably very skilled at assessing temperament. Be very careful buying into any negativity on the part of those you come into contact with. It can be contagious and if perceived by someone in the hiring process a killer.
Negativity in teachers??? I've never heard of such a thing!!!

But that does bring me to why I'm leaving this job. How do you explain that when your reasons are all negatives. Low pay, lousy benefits, unsafe teaching conditions (IMO, apparently the teachers before me didn't care that they didn't have a proper eye wash station )...I guess pay and benefits are enough to explain leaving so I can avoid the rest.

What frustrates me is that I know I have a lot to offer.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Consider the candidate who omits the fact that they were expelled from a college for a pattern of sexual harassment of female students who applies to a district that doesn't ask for a full accounting of all colleges attended. That teacher is hired and gets caught fooling with a student and it is revealed that the application failed to ask for a full and complete accounting of and thus the teacher omitted it. Hmmmm you know where that law suit is headed. Betcha most applications ask for a full accounting with a signature that you have answered truthfully.
Surprisingly, I've never been asked for a full accounting. Only an accounting of the colleges attended that qualifies me for teaching. I've always brought them all to interviews but I've only been asked for the last one. I could, easily, hide attendance at a particular university and often do if I want to appear younger in an interview. (I was in school a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time )

Now I have been asked things like if I've ever been dismissed from a job, or convicted of crimes.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Negativity in teachers??? I've never heard of such a thing!!!

But that does bring me to why I'm leaving this job. How do you explain that when your reasons are all negatives. Low pay, lousy benefits, unsafe teaching conditions (IMO, apparently the teachers before me didn't care that they didn't have a proper eye wash station )...I guess pay and benefits are enough to explain leaving so I can avoid the rest.

What frustrates me is that I know I have a lot to offer.
A better opportunity that enables me to afford to continue teaching. Higher paying districts use salary as an incentive to get better teachers so acknowledging that as being a reason is no problem. Praise their working conditions and reputation and they will smile. Just go to a job fair and thats what they are pushing so why would you accepting it and wanting to come bother them? Depending on their familiarity with your previous school they will know what the work conditions are. It is ok to want to improve your condition and a complement to the new district that you see them that way. Just make sure your disposition is positive and your issues are based on conditions and not people. In no way ever say anything negative about your colleagues or administrators. If you didn't like your previous administrator why would a new one think you will be more positive towards them?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Surprisingly, I've never been asked for a full accounting. Only an accounting of the colleges attended that qualifies me for teaching. I've always brought them all to interviews but I've only been asked for the last one. I could, easily, hide attendance at a particular university and often do if I want to appear younger in an interview. (I was in school a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time )

Now I have been asked things like if I've ever been dismissed from a job, or convicted of crimes.
Asked in the interview or asked on the application?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching