U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 09:11 AM

25,387 posts, read 31,320,518 times

Advertisements

I don't mind kids hanging out in my room if they need tutoring but they seem to gather in my room, for social reasons, when I'm trying to work. How do you deal with kids who want to hang around your room before/after school when you have work to do?

Being a charter school, we have many kids who are dropped off early or have to stay late. Since I like to get to school an hour before school starts and stay an hour late most days, students like to come hang out in my room. Last year, I made the mistake of feeding one. I swear, kids are like stray cats, feed them and they'll NEVER go away, lol. (I'm pretty sure this student didn't eat lunch and I always had snacks for my kids after school.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 09:23 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,361,095 times
Are you a teacher or a student? What ages are these kids? How old are you? Without further clarification, it's hard to comment on this. If you are a teacher, you should be flattered that they want to hang out in your room. Further, if you are a teacher, you should be able to set boundaries for these kids. And feeding a kid who hadn't had lunch is a good thing. Maybe he/she comes from a poor or neglectful home. Need more info!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:30 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,662,972 times
Doesn't the school have some sort of policy about when the kids can get dropped off and what they are supposed to be doing until class starts?

How old are the kids?

Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Are you a teacher or a student? What ages are these kids? How old are you? Without further clarification, it's hard to comment on this. If you are a teacher, you should be flattered that they want to hang out in your room. Further, if you are a teacher, you should be able to set boundaries for these kids. And feeding a kid who hadn't had lunch is a good thing. Maybe he/she comes from a poor or neglectful home. Need more info!
I'm a teacher. I teach 11th and 12th graders.

I didn't have a problem feeding that one student but it, definitely, encouraged him to hang out in my room.

Being flattered they want to hang out in my room is fine but I also have work to do.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Doesn't the school have some sort of policy about when the kids can get dropped off and what they are supposed to be doing until class starts?

How old are the kids?
Not really. We're talking high school. In the younger grades, they go to latch key until school starts. High school kids just hang out in front of the building until school opens and until parents pick up. The rule is the kids are supposed to be out of the building unless they're with a teacher.

I, frequently, have kids in my room for tutoring. That's fine as that's part of my job but when I'm done tutoring, I like to get everything set up for the next day. It's hard to do that with a gaggle of kids in my room.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,332,185 times
So politely tell the students you have work to do and kick them out!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:53 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

I didn't have a problem feeding that one student but it, definitely, encouraged him to hang out in my room.

Being flattered they want to hang out in my room is fine but I also have work to do.
I agree that it is flattering--the kids obviously look to you as a nurturer and feel comfortable in your presence.
So you have a few options: tell them not to hang in your room b/c you have work to do or adopt a colder and/or more disciplinarian attitude, which will set your boundaries a little farther back. You could even do both simultaneously. The kids will not like you as much but you will have your space.
However, I have the feeling that you would prefer not to do the former (it just doesn't seem like it would be your thing ). SO if I were you, I would buy some ear plugs (seriously, they work. I use them all of the time when studying. And once people realize that you can't hear them--and have no intention of taking your earplugs out--they tend to leave you to your work.)

Old 09-12-2009, 10:01 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,662,972 times
Quote:
Not really. We're talking high school. In the younger grades, they go to latch key until school starts. High school kids just hang out in front of the building until school opens and until parents pick up. The rule is the kids are supposed to be out of the building unless they're with a teacher.

I, frequently, have kids in my room for tutoring. That's fine as that's part of my job but when I'm done tutoring, I like to get everything set up for the next day. It's hard to do that with a gaggle of kids in my room.
I can see that's a problem.

Can you tell them that you have "office hours" for conversation for 10 minutes then it's down to business? I know even this will be an inconvenience for you but you sound like you don't mind the hanging around for a little bit.

You could nicely chit chat with the kids for a few minutes, then say, "OK, as much as I enjoy your company, I've got to get to work now so I'll see you tomorrow......"

Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM

9,362 posts, read 23,063,937 times
Quote:

You must be a great teacher! How flattering that they would choose to be in your room with you.

Can you put them to work helping to get things done?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:29 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,361,095 times
Take pride that they want to be around you. Most are probably lacking an adult role model and see something kind and nurturing in you. Many of the suggestions given here are good ones. Set some boundaries but let them be in the room with you. Look for cues that they might need to talk about issues at home and be there for them. If that one young person you fed is not being fed well at home, maybe you could help resolve it, or at least see that he gets one good meal at school.
You can and are making a difference for them, however inconvenient it may be. Be proud of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching