Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,707,351 times

Advertisements

A good sub follows my lesson plans, teaches the material, keeps classroom control, enjoys the kids, checks the papers, leaves the room as they found it, leaves me a note that tells about the day, cares, and gets praise from the kids when I return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 AM

69 posts, read 233,520 times
OK, I am seeing quite a bit a replys about grading papers, just how much would it mean to you for a sub to grade papers for you?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:58 AM

39 posts, read 236,952 times
I subbed regularly for the same school last year, and was praised by admin. and other teachers.

Things I did: actually attempt to teach the lesson plans, not just hand out papers to students and sit back and do nothing. The reason I say attempt is because the students were often still quite unruly, never mind that I knew most of the students by name and they saw me frequently enough. They still couldn't get over the whole "sub" thing.

Maintain as much order as you can. I was dealing with urban kids grade 6-12 and I'm so happy that nothing serious ever happened in my class. If you are dealing with unruly kids, you have to try to control and manage the class as best as you can.

Keep the room clean, or even better, clean up a bit for the returning teacher.

Leave a detailed note to the teacher about what happened, what work was done, and list good and unruly students..this helps you out as the kids will usually know that you are going to be communicating with their teacher.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:58 PM

102 posts, read 339,278 times
Actually, I'm suprised West Bloomfield would hire a sub that would have to ask this question.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:03 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,849,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Somoone who cares. Many subs see the job as babysitting. They just sit and read a book.
agreed.. i remember having a great number of subs in elementary and many of the kids in our class would go ballistic would not listen to her, the sub would follow the lesson plan but the teacher when she comes back would go back over it instead of move on for some reason as if she didnt trust the sub.

so whats the point for lesson plans for subs

Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,849,006 times
i dont understand why kids think they can over run a sub even though at time they do

Old 09-18-2009, 04:04 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,296,546 times
Be a teacher. Engage the students. It may be hard however if the kids are just doing handouts.

Class psychology is very strange, if the teacher is good the students will be (more often than not) good, but if the teacher sucks then boy that class isn't going to listen to you or anyone, unless you know what you're doing.

A lot of subs here are "regulars," and teachers know who they're going to get and the kids do too. So in one sense its a good thing.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,446,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
A good sub follows my lesson plans, teaches the material, keeps classroom control, enjoys the kids, checks the papers, leaves the room as they found it, leaves me a note that tells about the day, cares, and gets praise from the kids when I return.
I couldn't have said it any better.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 AM

69 posts, read 233,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazenblue View Post
Actually, I'm suprised West Bloomfield would hire a sub that would have to ask this question.
Ok, Number 1: I do not work in the West Bloomfield district.

Number 2: Just because I asked this question, does make me incompetent, I ask this question to get a few extra tips on my job and to know what the teachers were really thinking. Some people are so quick to jump to negativity.

By the way, before you ask why I'm on the internet this early in the daytime, This is my prep hour.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,913 times
Sub jobs can be very rewarding if you're prepared. Try to get there at least 15-30 minutes early! Try to have the classroom 'presentable' BEFORE the kids arrive. This just means making things 'look' organized as much as possible (straighten stacks of paper lying on tables, straightening desks/chairs, pickup up any trash lying around). This helps dramatically because an unorganized room spells chaos and you need as little of that as possible. Know the lesson plan BEFORE the students arrive. If you have only a small amount of time till class starts, know the plan up to the first break; then study the rest at that break/recess. The more confident you come off, the better!

Reinforce good behavior openly and discipline in private, ALWAYS! Negative attention is still 'attention' and kids thrive on it, even when it's bad.

Stay with the plan as much as possible and offer a reward at the end of class for good behavior (i.e., a game). Kids love this and will help to keep behavior problems minimized and keep others on task. Use their names as much as possible, esp., when they're being good. When you get to know them, they just behave better. Have fun with them. If you can keep them on task, and they can have fun doing it, they will want you back and so will their teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching